At Last The 1948 Show

Surprised there is no thread for this "pre Python/Goodies" programme.

Anyway, the first and last episodes have been found in David Frost's personal archive and will be shown at the BFI's Missing Believed Wiped in December - let's hope they will be available after that.

Oops.........

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001637/at_last_the_1948_show_missing_episodes_found_frost/

Bit annoying as I only bought the DVD a while back.

Quote: Nil Putters @ 23rd October 2014, 10:40 AM BST

Bit annoying as I only bought the DVD a while back.

The DVD's only a highlights compilation, there've been many full episodes discovered since it was released.

Enjoyed the struggle they had to get through this as much as the sketch. :D

Plain Clothes Police Women

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKFJupMjMmY

Quote: Aaron @ 23rd October 2014, 2:40 PM BST

The DVD's only a highlights compilation, there've been many full episodes discovered since it was released.

Ah, that makes it less annoying.

Really need to get around to watching it anyway...

I'm confused, because all the sketches in episode one seem to be on the DVD. Unless it's the recovery of sketches which were already found?

The program shows the opening title card on the still (ie before you play it)-but there are clips from other shows with this as well. Is it just using a system that is already used?

If you are referring to the video embedded in our news story, that is the first of the compilation episodes that are on the DVD. The newly recovered programmes are yet to be publicly available.

It's just you said it was episode one, Aaron. I think they have shown clips of the new shows.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 24th October 2014, 8:28 AM BST

I think they have shown clips of the new shows.

Where?

I mean, it's not impossible that the highlights programmes included sketches that are in the first ever and last ever episodes.

Just on the news.

Well, I would imagine that news programmes were able to buy clips from the newly-recovered programmes from the BFI, yes.

So TBT wrote the Four Yorkshiremen sketch but it wasn't enough to make him a Python. Still, he got a nice rival show with two chums from er, here we go again.

But my point is this: silly nonsense comedy became the preserve of the posh and well educated. They stole it off a non-member, Milligan, and made out they invented it because the joke was you had to be clever to make something so stupid. At least most of them now have honestly acknowledged this elitist smash n grab.

Baker, Feldman, Jason, Percival all better comedy actors than the eight above and the first two very good comedy writer-performers. But all were left to make their own way. Feldman would've made a great Python. Would they have been in if they'd been at Uni with them?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 25th October 2014, 11:25 AM BST

So TBT wrote the Four Yorkshiremen sketch but it wasn't enough to make him a Python.

There are only room for six Pythons, unless he wants to play Carol Cleveland?

Have any of you read Cleese's autobiography? He writes quite a bit about this show and how it was crafted.

More unearthed - https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001887/at_last_the_1948_show_2_episodes_discovered/

"It is particularly gratifying to get back the Bookshop Sketch, one of the show's great classics and recognised as such by John Cleese in his recent autobiography."

Is this the "Got any dirty books" sketch that's lurking in my memory? Not read Cleese's book.