New Dad's Army film Page 8

I haven't seen the Bilko film and now that I'm reminded of its existence I'm scared to even consider it. I'm sure it'll be terrible.

Big screen versions of cartoons and comic book characters don't really bother me, although I'm a bit sick of all the comic book films. Remakes of classic TV shows are usually dire, especially if they're comedies. Spy thrillers and dramas seem to fare a little better.

The Bilko film is probably amongst the worst films I ever had to sit through.

The Dad's Army one looks bad in the trailer and that's not a good place to start.

Well, they say the funniest bits are in the trailer.
In which case - "We're all dooooomed!"

This is just a cynical cash-in on the grey pound & matinee market, plus the odd Christmas DVD sale for your dad.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 12th August 2015, 10:33 PM BST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig2SQk6jx4

My favourite YouTube-user comment:

"mick george 16 hours ago

When this film was announced my first thought was 'do you think that's wise?', now having seen this trailer it's 'you're doomed'. Some things you just don't tamper with."

So true.

Just watched the trailer.

'Good grief Wilson'

Bit of a cock-up on the trailer front...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 14th August 2015, 7:54 AM BST

Bit of a cock-up on the trailer front...

Yes, but they didn't get where they are today by making good trailers.

It could well be a very decent film in its own right but I can't imagine it will be a patch on the original.

Big-screen versions of TV sitcoms have a long history of being very much inferior to the TV series.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 14th August 2015, 10:27 AM BST

It could well be a very decent film in its own right but I can't imagine it will be a patch on the original.

Big-screen versions of TV sitcoms have a long history of being very much inferior to the TV series.

And that's with the original cast.

The Sergeant Bilko Movie is great
I've seen bits of the original series & the comparisons are unfair
the old series is all in black & white and a bit hammy but was probably funny at the time

But the movie has Steve Martin & Dan Ayckroyd. and it's in colour.
And Phil hartman was in it as well, (who was the funny one in the Simpsons)

I'm not saying the Dad's Army movie will be better than the series
But I think there's a good chance it will run it close, as comedy has moved on quite a bit since then.

I'm sorry but I don't see why anything is less funny because it's not in colour.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 16th August 2015, 2:08 AM BST

The Sergeant Bilko Movie is great
I've seen bits of the original series & the comparisons are unfair
the old series is all in black & white and a bit hammy but was probably funny at the time

But the movie has Steve Martin & Dan Ayckroyd. and it's in colour.
And Phil hartman was in it as well, (who was the funny one in the Simpsons)

I'm not saying the Dad's Army movie will be better than the series
But I think there's a good chance it will run it close, as comedy has moved on quite a bit since then.

The Sgt. Bilko movie was not Sgt Bilko. It used the name only.

If you could run it close easily, Steve, everyone would do it. This is a thankless task.

From over here -- Canada -- the trailer looks like the movie will be kind of dumb and very fun. I loved Dad's Army but I probably don't have the same investment in its "Britishness" as others. Perhaps that makes me more forgiving of and more enthusiastic about a Dad's Army movie.

BTW, movie audiences seems to have an endless appetite for stupid special-effects crammed movies about characters that started their lives in comic books. At least this isn't that.

Apparently Mrs Mainwaring appears in the film.

I think that defeats part of the appeal - the fact that she never actually appeared in the TV series.