New Dad's Army film Page 7

It will be interesting to see how new actors portray these well loved characters. For me Clive Dunn's performance always jarred, whether it was him or the way his character was written I don't know.

Doesn't a test screening usually lead to more filming?

Not usually, no. It can do in extreme cases, but usually only more editing.

So, what did people make of the teaser trailer for the film?

I personally am looking forward to it. Will be interesting to see how these actors portray the original cast.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nig2SQk6jx4

It was supposedly a "world exclusive" on The One Show last night..........ummm, not sure. I'll have to watch it just for it being a what it is, but comparisons will be made of course. And the end of the day I think they shouldn't have made it.

The problem is it's not Dad's Army.

You and I know what Dad's Army is so when something comes along and claims to be Dad's Army I instinctively dislike it.

I don't understand why they couldn't just make a World War 2 comedy with some original and borrowed characters, if need be, and called it something else.

It's a cash-in on a familiar name where most of the work has been done for them over the course of its nine series television run.

Who is this for anyway? The youth are not exactly going to care much and I bet not one person is going to watch this film, who saw the original series, and say that this film is better because it's not Dad's Army, it's something pretending to be.

You might as well just watch Dad's Army and save some money and let this bomb so we nip these cash-grabs in the bud and hopefully some original ideas will start to emerge.

I saw the teaser trailer, it wasn't funny and it just made me angry that someone had the balls to mess with such a British Institution. Is nothing sacred anymore?!

As an American who has never seen the original (that will be rectified sooner or later) I'll say that the trailer was a big, fat dud. I'd rather see the chubby-faced guy in another series of Detectorists than this film. But I'll probably watch/pirate the film and I guess that's all that the studio wants.

Let's hope those weren't the best bits.
I hope they haven't made dear old Godfrey into a doddering imbecile :(

Quote: wigwam willy @ 13th August 2015, 7:24 AM BST

Lets hope those weren't the best bits.

Usually trailers show the highlights of a movie but I'm with you on this I'm praying for this being the big exception, I very much doubt it but...

Quote: DaButt @ 13th August 2015, 5:24 AM BST

As an American who has never seen the original (that will be rectified sooner or later) I'll say that the trailer was a big, fat dud. I'd rather see the chubby-faced guy in another series of Detectorists than this film. But I'll probably watch/pirate the film and I guess that's all that the studio wants.

It would be interesting to see what your take on it would be Dabutt, because it is very British and not slick by any means with cast stumbling over lines occasionally, particularly Arthur Lowe who was known for refusing to learn the script by rote as he thought it was beneath him and quite often winged it.

Also it is set in a period that was totally unique to this country so you would have little to compare it with, but for us Brits it oozes charm and warm characters that make for a very funny sitcom.

I never tire watching it and it will always remain one of my all-time favourites.

Thinking about it though, there is a sort of comparison, and that is Bilko (been a favourite since I was a lad, and again never tire of). I have never seen the Steve Martin film and have no wish to as the TV series could not have been bettered, but assuming that you have seen both, how does the film hold up against the TV series?

For me Phil Silvers is Bilko, just as Arthur Lowe is Mainwaring and that is how it should be.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 13th August 2015, 7:24 AM BST

Lets hope those weren't the best bits.
I hope they haven't made dear old Godfrey into a doddering imbecile :(

Made?

I just thought it didn't capture the spirit of the original. But the war's too far away now.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 13th August 2015, 9:05 AM BST

Also it is set in a period that was totally unique to this country so you would have little to compare it with, but for us Brits it oozes charm and warm characters that make for a very funny sitcom.

It did work for me as well and I'm not a Brit...maybe a tit, but definitely not a Brit.

This. Film. Thread.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 13th August 2015, 11:09 AM BST

It did work for me as well and I'm not a Brit...maybe a tit, but definitely not a Brit.

I was including you GB, as we all know it is a given that you are an honorary Brit. of the highest order. :D

Not enough martial arts for my liking.

I think the casting is spot on. The rest of it I can't tell yet.

The trailer didn't make it look too promising. But then all trailers are bad these days. The art of the trailer I think hit its peak in the late 80s and through the 90s. I can't remember the last time I got excited to see a new film based solely on seeing the trailer.