New Dad's Army film Page 5

Quote: Marc P @ 12th October 2014, 12:10 PM BST

Did you follow this up and write something?

Nobody is saying you 'have to get some sort of comment on life in it.' Regardless of socio political and cultural intentions. One's life both imbues and informs one's work. Put simply - if you have nothing to say you will find it very hard to write and a very great deal harder to find some to listen.

But enough about the abstract, how did you approach your writing? And how did you find the process you adopted?

I followed the guidelines from the course, but can remember little of the details now as this was over 20 years ago, and yes, I sent the first episode spoof of Masters of the Universe up to Radio 4 and they showed interest by asking me to write the synopsis for the next five, which I did and they returned it with a polite no thank you.

I then started up another business, with my wife this time, and everything then went out of the window and I never returned to writing.

Anyway David Croft and Jimmy Perry were both highly talented and experienced men, who from an original script by Jimmy created a show that truly has classic status. This was not by accident or through a whimsical approach, but through a lot of hard work, implementation of the concept. Trust me thought about the show and worked on it a great deal before it ever hit the screens. They were never happy that the original opening montage footage was dropped from the show, and even that small insight shows you, if you ever read about or see it, how important and essential it was to them both to contextualise their series. Like I say there is a reason why things become classic.

I am not, however, familiar with the word owher. Is this a reference to Dad's Army that I am not familiar with?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 12th October 2014, 2:46 PM BST

I followed the guidelines from the course, but can remember little of the details now as this was over 20 years ago, and yes, I sent the first episode spoof of Masters of the Universe up to Radio 4 and they showed interest by asking me to write the synopsis for the next five, which I did and they returned it with a polite no thank you.

I then started up another business, with my wife this time, and everything then went out of the window and I never returned to writing.

Fair play I am coming to these issues from both a writer's and keen viewer's perspective. As above - Croft and Perry were in the end doing the same thing as me here.

Like I say re Dads Army I for one am not in the middle of nowhere. On this issue at least ;)

Dad's Army is one of those I will never tire of - absolute classic.

My answer to your riddle or the show?

Dunno what to say here for fear of getting greyed out AGAIN.......

Yes, Dad's Army and very good Marc, er to both. :D

First Look At Toby Jones, Michael Gambon And Company In The Dad's Amy Remake

Quote: DuckAvenger @ 26th October 2014, 10:50 AM GMT

First Look At Toby Jones, Michael Gambon And Company In The Dad's Amy Remake

I can't wait to see this on the big screen.

Why is this not coming out till February 2016?

It must have taken - what - six weeks to film?

I'd have expected it out by April, myself.

Perhaps there are other titles filling up next year's release schedule that they think it would suffer against.

Quote: Dave @ 10th December 2014, 4:32 PM GMT

Why is this not coming out till February 2016?

It must have taken - what - six weeks to film?

I'd have expected it out by April, myself.

It wouldn't come out in April even if it was ready as far as I gather. It's 2015 so some film industry diplomacy was employed.

The nearest they would've done was Oct/Nov but that's a very competitive release date so it seems they've waited till Jan2016. Some will think it's daft but it isn't and happens a lot. Many films get delayed because of timing with other events. As long as it's good I don't mind waiting.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 26th October 2014, 11:57 AM GMT

I can't wait to see this on the big screen.

Oh Rolling eyes ahem.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 6th January 2015, 8:46 PM GMT

It wouldn't come out in April even if it was ready as far as I gather. It's 2015 so some film industry diplomacy was employed.

The nearest they would've done was Oct/Nov but that's a very competitive release date so it seems they've waited till Jan2016. Some will think it's daft but it isn't and happens a lot. Many films get delayed because of timing with other events. As long as it's good I don't mind waiting.

And also maybe eligible for an Oscar!

There was some bloke, dunno who, on the Jools Holland New Year shit, who is playing Mainwearing who said that 2015 was possible but 2016 more likely (or words to that effect).

Isn't the gorgeous Emily Atack in this film?