New Dad's Army film Page 11

Quote: Shandonbelle @ 9th February 2016, 4:59 PM GMT

Looking forward to seeing this.

Same here. But I'll have to watch it on DVD because it won't be shown in cinemas here. :(

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 11th February 2016, 8:22 PM GMT

She had zero Welshness in this film mate.

I'm not on about this film, I'm on about her in general. She seems to put the accent on thick when she is in this country being interviewed.

Hope not to give spoilers (unlike the BCG guide blurb ahem) but just to give my review. Have some big niggles but overall an enjoyable movie film. Good plot and it raced along, which is one of my niggles, the sitcom didn't race anywhere, that was the main point of it. Tbf they do manage to squeeze little tasters of the sitcom feel in, the best by far being Mainwaring telling Wilson off.

Comedy is good, action was surprisingly supurb I thought. But characters uneven to say the least, not really reflecting a typical DA ep. Must be the most minor role Jones ever had in it and Frazer may as well not be there. A lot of focus is on Mainwaring and I thought TJ was excellent in the part. Nighy was so-so, he just irritates me, could have been much better I thought. Pike has a major role, far bigger than Jonesy which felt a little odd and the little unions of interplay between Jones and Pike, Frazer and Mainwaring etc. just weren't there. I counted just one s'tupid boy'. But the acting for Pike, Walker and Godfrey was very good.

I thought CZJ had too much screentime which took away from our regular characters, so Frazer and Hodges didn't get a look in. But my biggest grumble by far was the totally incongruous inclusion of the women's home guard brigade. Sorry Zoo and the other women here but WTF??? They actually had a pretty big part in the film. This just doesn't have any historical fact and smacks purely of PC diversity rules. Effing ridiculous they put this in, which also meant a major role for the previously unseen Mrs Mainwaring !

So it was a big reworking of the original DA which the very good first film wasn't. This doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable, I found it very enjoyable viewing, just not authentic in one or two big areas. Along with Toby Jones and Pike's actor I thought Sarah Lancashire was great as Mavis, probably best performance of the lot in fact, she nailed the part and probably added something more.

Will definitely watch it again to see if I can get over the liberties the writer took, as it had a good feel and spirit to it which was a vital element they needed to get right and they did. Also loved that they managed to squeeze in Williams as the vicar in the briefest of cameos and give another small cameo to Lavender which was a brilliant little turnaround part, hopefully that doesn't give it away.

We went to see it last night - very good :D

I agree that Sarah Lancashire was excellent, and Godfrey's sisters.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 14th February 2016, 9:20 AM GMT

Hope not to give spoilers (unlike the BCG guide blurb ahem) but just to give my review. Have some big niggles but overall an enjoyable movie film. Good plot and it raced along, which is one of my niggles, the sitcom didn't race anywhere, that was the main point of it. Tbf they do manage to squeeze little tasters of the sitcom feel in, the best by far being Mainwaring telling Wilson off.

Comedy is good, action was surprisingly supurb I thought. But characters uneven to say the least, not really reflecting a typical DA ep. Must be the most minor role Jones ever had in it and Frazer may as well not be there. A lot of focus is on Mainwaring and I thought TJ was excellent in the part. Nighy was so-so, he just irritates me, could have been much better I thought. Pike has a major role, far bigger than Jonesy which felt a little odd and the little unions of interplay between Jones and Pike, Frazer and Mainwaring etc. just weren't there. I counted just one 'stupid boy'. But the acting for Pike, Walker and Godfrey was very good.

I thought CZJ had too much screentime which took away from our regular characters, so Frazer and Hodges didn't get a look in. But my biggest grumble by far was the totally incongruous inclusion of the women's home guard brigade. Sorry Zoo and the other women here but WTF??? They actually had a pretty big part in the film. This just doesn't have any historical fact and smacks purely of PC diversity rules. Effing ridiculous they put this in, which also meant a major role for the previously unseen Mrs Mainwaring !

So it was a big reworking of the original DA which the very good first film wasn't. This doesn't mean it wasn't enjoyable, I found it very enjoyable viewing, just not authentic in one or two big areas. Along with Toby Jones and Pike's actor I thought Sarah Lancashire was great as Mavis, probably best performance of the lot in fact, she nailed the part and probably added something more.

Will definitely watch it again to see if I can get over the liberties the writer took, as it had a good feel and spirit to it which was a vital element they needed to get right and they did. Also loved that they managed to squeeze in Williams as the vicar in the briefest of cameos and give another small cameo to Lavender which was a brilliant little turnaround part, hopefully that doesn't give it away.

I concur with every point you make.

I can't believe they showed Elizabeth Mainwaring. And yes, definitely a PC 'Let's show everybody we're not sexist' agenda with inventing the women's home guard as being the heroes.

Massive let down with Jones and Fraser.

I enjoyed it ! But if you didn't enjoy it 'Don't Panic!'

Like loads of people here I'll probably wait until it's on TV.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th February 2016, 11:38 PM GMT

Yup.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th February 2016, 11:38 PM GMT

It's worth the tenner to watch at cinema and I hope the film does well. It's very good but for one or two real contentious decisions. I really want to confront the twat/s who made them.

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 14th February 2016, 10:59 PM GMT

I can't believe they showed Elizabeth Mainwaring. And yes, definitely a PC 'Let's show everybody we're not sexist' agenda with inventing the women's home guard as being the heroes.

Two massively stupid decisions which deserve to be ridiculed in the media. The former is at worst a betrayal of the original sitcom which so carefully avoided showing her. The latter is a mindnumbingly dumb act which makes a nonsense of all their anal period research. Think how much of the budget went on getting all those historical details pin perfect, including leaving out the pin up boy of bolt action rifles for a dullard. Then they go and do what they did! :S :S :S Been trying to fathom all week how they were allowed to make that catastrophic error of judgment and I really can't find an answer! Total PC nuttery ! Major Angry

Agree with Kipper on this
A nice fun film

Quote: Tommy Griff @ 14th February 2016, 10:59 PM GMT

I can't believe they showed Elizabeth Mainwaring.

Oh, I didn't realise they had done that, which has put me off watching the film as I do not want the image of the woman playing that part forever seared in my brain - what a load of wankers! Angry

I'm serious about not watching the film - I never tire of watching the Dad's Army and will not have it ruined by this stupid, stupid act.

Totally agree too with Alf...........apart from going to the cinema to see it, for the reasons above.

Seen the excerpts on TV. There's a bit where Mainwaring coughs. Wow! Seems hilarious.

Anyway my daughter bought the DVD for me for Fathers Day although I haven't watched it yet.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd July 2016, 9:25 AM BST

Oh, I didn't realise they had done that, which has put me off watching the film as I do not want the image of the woman playing that part forever seared in my brain - what a load of wankers! Angry

I watched the film a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure I remember who played Elizabeth. It's a slightly odd extension to the canon, granted, but it's not that big a deal.

I thought the film was pleasant. Luckily it's different enough from the original to be its own entity, which was maybe why the catchphrases fell flat.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th July 2016, 9:29 AM BST

I watched the film a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure I remember who played Elizabeth. It's a slightly odd extension to the canon, granted, but it's not that big a deal.

Felicity Montagu

She has done other numerous comedy roles including Lynn in I'm Alan Partridge

If you have any more comedy related queries Aaron you know where to come