British Comedy Awards 2006 Page 3

Quote: Moxy Poron @ November 15, 2006, 4:54 PM

if charlotte church wins best comedy newcomer i will drown myself

--or any award for that matter.

oop's, Moxy are you still alive? hello?,,,hello?

Said it before I'll say it again the comedy awards overall with the exeption of the viewers vote and few others who win awards go to the wrongs ones. Last night in my opinion there was only one good thing in any of the nominations Ant and Dec. It annoys me how rubbish things can win awards I mean Harry Hill how the hell can anyone say he is better than Ant and Dec I would love to see Harry and Ant and Dec up for same award in viewers vote I know who would win easily.

It doesn't seem fair that a few judges get to choose who wins it should be public vote or go on how many viewers each proggramme gets. In general in this awards show the worst ones win and good ones have no chance with few exeptions that is.

Best or fairest awards show of the year is National tv awards viewers vote on all the awards though even that seems to have a lot of rubbish winning but at least some good ones win and a lot of people must want them to win who ever wins.

I'm sorry kool chick, but the National Television Awards in my opinion are awful! The problem with such awards ceremonies is the fact that the public decide who wins. I hate to sound like Sir Humphrey Appleby, but the public are the least appropriate people to know about such things. They just vote for who has the best catchphrase and that's it.

It is more important to be good, rather than to be popular. Therefore, the NTA, a show where everyone votes on it, is the embodiment of popularist rubbish.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ December 14, 2006, 6:03 PM

I'm sorry kool chick, but the National Television Awards in my opinion are awful! The problem with such awards ceremonies is the fact that the public decide who wins. I hate to sound like Sir Humphrey Appleby, but the public are the least appropriate people to know about such things. They just vote for who has the best catchphrase and that's it.

It is more important to be good, rather than to be popular. Therefore, the NTA, a show where everyone votes on it, is the embodiment of popularist rubbish.

But how do you decide who is good as everyone has different opinions of what is good and whats not. That is why public vote is good so you can see who most people like. There is no set programme or person on tv that is good cos who ever you pick out there will be some who like them and some who don't like them. Deciding who or what is good is peoples opinion so there is no right or wrong answer

How can any fan of comedy say that ANT & DEC are better than HARRY HILL, Harry Hill has worked his arse off for years in the world of comedy...not come from Byker Grove or whatever it was. Harry Hill deserved both the awards he got last night and well done I say to him. :D

I agree with you Martin. I've seen Harry Hill doing his stand-up, and he was brilliant! Ant and Dec could never do that.

A really disappointing ceremony, with only Jonathon Ross's opening salvo worth a smile. And I don't understand the eliginility of shows. Didn't The Thick Of It win last year, so why was it up for best comedy this year. And Peep Show 3 was surely last year, so why did it win this year? I'm not saying it didn't deserve to win, just that it seems ages ago now.

I'm with Ian on the subject of voting. The NTAs, and other such awards, prove year-in-year-out that it's the populist ITV1 drivel and most recent stuff which people remember best which wins.

Remember that 100 Greatest Sketches on Channel 4, when Little Britain's Lou & Andy at the swimming pool was voted BY THE PUBLIC to #1? I'll be f**ked if that is within a million miles of M&W's Previn Plays Greig or Breakfast. The only awards worth their weight are the ones voted by people in-the-know, who have the benefit of understanding the trade, the work behind it, and are far more likely to remember other shows for comparison.

Quote: Aaron @ December 15, 2006, 10:48 AM

I'm with Ian on the subject of voting. The NTAs, and other such awards, prove year-in-year-out that it's the populist ITV1 drivel and most recent stuff which people remember best which wins.

Remember that 100 Greatest Sketches on Channel 4, when Little Britain's Lou & Andy at the swimming pool was voted BY THE PUBLIC to #1? I'll be f**ked if that is within a million miles of M&W's Previn Plays Greig or Breakfast. The only awards worth their weight are the ones voted by people in-the-know, who have the benefit of understanding the trade, the work behind it, and are far more likely to remember other shows for comparison.

You've hit the nail on the head Aaron. If you watch the majority of polls and awards its usually the recent stuff that wins. In music, it will be the current boy/girl band, in TV it will be the flavour of the month.

I don't usually bother watching award ceremonies for that reason.

That is my point. In fact, I plan my next comedy project to be a satire about the media. I know about the media a lot because I'm doing media studies at university. I'm sorry for mentioning a non-sitcom comedy idea on a sitcom forum, but it's just an idea I'm toying with.

Ant and Dec are great presenters, but they are not comedians, and neither is Charlotte Church. None of them should have been up for those awards in the first place. And why isn't there a best stand up award?
Or did I miss it?

I usually enjoy watching the awards, but I always get highly irate with the winners they choose.

At least the Boosh were actually there, even if they didn't win anything. As fecking usual.

haha I know! thye were on the carpet at the start though :D haha noel fix!

Yes, I got all excited.
Did you watch the aftershow on ITV2? Noel got interviewed with Courtney Love. She wants to guest in the next series... :/

no...I was alas asleep cos I had an English test in the morn time- haha she said she was gonna marry Russell Brand didnt she?

Yes. Silly woman.
I'm having him.

I was quite disappointed, nothing really controversial happened at the awards this year. :(
Except for Oliver Stone making a slightly misjudged Jack the Ripper (prostitute killing) joke. But I think even that was only on ITV2 too.