British Comedy Awards 2006

The nominations for the 2006 British Comedy Awards have been announced.

Best TV comedy actor

David Mitchell and Robert Webb - Peep Show (Channel 4)
Ricky Gervais - Extras (BBC Two)
Stephen Merchant - Extras (BBC Two)

Best TV comedy actress

Catherine Tate - The Catherine Tate Xmas Special (BBC Two)
Katherine Parkinson - The IT Crowd (Channel 4)
Tamsin Greig - Green Wing (Channel 4)

Best comedy entertainment personality

Ant and Dec - Saturday Night Takeaway, I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, Poker Face (all ITV1)
Harry Hill - Harry Hill's TV Burp (ITV1)
Paul Merton - Have I Got News for You (BBC One)

Best male comedy newcomer

Alan Carr and Justin Lee Collins - The Friday Night Project (Channel 4)
Kevin Bishop - Star Stories (Channel 4)
Russell Brand - Russell Brand's Got Issues (E4)

Best female comedy newcomer

Charlotte Church - The Charlotte Church Show (Channel 4)
Katherine Parkinson - The IT Crowd (Channel 4)
Miranda Hart - Hyperdrive (BBC Two)

Best new TV comedy

Star Stories (Channel 4)
Suburban Shootout (Five and Paramount Comedy)
That Mitchell and Webb Look (BBC Two)

Best TV comedy

Extras (BBC Two)
Peep Show (Channel 4)
The Thick of It (BBC Four)

Best comedy entertainment programme

Ant and Dec's Christmas Takeaway (ITV1)
Harry Hill's TV Burp (ITV1)
Have I Got News for You (BBC One)

Best international comedy show

Curb Your Enthusiasm (More4)
Everybody Hates Chris (Five)
The Office: An American Workplace (ITV2)

People's choice award

Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (ITV1)
Extras (BBC Two)
Eight Out of 10 Cats (Channel 4)
Friday Night with Jonathan Ross (BBC One)
Green Wing (Channel 4)
Little Britain (BBC One)
Northern Lights (ITV1)
That Mitchell and Webb Look (BBC Two)

Best comedy film

Confetti
Little Miss Sunshine
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit

Best live stand-up tour

Al Murray - ...And Another Thing
Jimmy Carr - Gag Reflex
Lee Evans - XL: UK Tour 2005
Lee Mack - The 2006 Stand-up Tour
Ross Noble - Fizzy Logic
Russell Brand - Shame

Best stage comedy

Little Britain
Robin Ince's Book Club
The League of Gentlemen Are Behind You
The Mighty Boosh
The Two Faces of Mitchell and Webb

You can vote via phone or text for the people's choice award. I myself shall be voting for Green Wing.

British Comedy Awards

British Comedy Awards - People's Choice

I find it amusing that Ant & Dec are nominated in a singular sense for the Best Comedy Entertainment Personality.

Are they joined at the hip or can't they go head-to-head like Messrs Gervais & Merchant? Would they fall out if this happens, thus completely knackering what's left of ITV?

They obviously are a one-off - quite literally! Err....or should that be a two-off?

Hang about! Maybe they're about to challenge God's Trinity concept!

Dec the father Ant the son...or is it Ant the father Dec the son. It's really confusing with those two.

Anyhow all they need is a third to join them. Maybe they could get a new Saturday reality show together and award this job to the winner of the show.

It could be called "The Holy Ghost Factor"

Quote: Blenkinsop @ November 15, 2006, 6:36 AM

I find it amusing that Ant & Dec are nominated in a singular sense for the Best Comedy Entertainment Personality.

Not as amusing as Star Stories being nominated for Best New TV Comedy. And Charlotte Church getting a nod for best female newcomer for the shitefest that was The Charlotte Church Show.

Quote: Wheeler @ November 15, 2006, 7:24 AM

Not as amusing as Star Stories being nominated for Best New TV Comedy. And Charlotte Church getting a nod for best female newcomer for the shitefest that was The Charlotte Church Show.

I think your totally wrong there wheeler Charlotte Churche's show wasn't a shitfest, it wasn't that good, i'd rather volenteer to go into a public toilet with George Micheal, than watch that crap Huh?

dear god thats a sorry list losers doesnt matter if some of them win they're still losers, look at best male comedy newcomer jesus god theres no winners in that group, the only things worthy of getting any awards of any kind are peep show and the thick of it

Quote: dyingtolive @ November 15, 2006, 10:07 AM

look at best male comedy newcomer jesus god theres no winners in that group

Alan F**king Carr. God I hate that guy. It's the voice (like nails down a blackboard) and the fact that he is always on those '100 best films/songs/serial killers' programmes, making inane observations that are never funny.

Quote: dyingtolive @ November 15, 2006, 10:07 AM

the only things worthy of getting any awards of any kind are peep show and the thick of it

Peep Show well deserves an award. It should have got something for the first 2 series, they were fantastic. I thought series 3 wasn't quite up to par , but still quality. They're up against Gervais and Merchant again though aren't they.

Chance cat hells in

if charlotte church wins best comedy newcomer i will drown myself

--or any award for that matter.

woo I'd so vote for Green Wing if I had credit or my own landline....

The phrase "distinctly average" sprang to mind when I read those nominations. How very, very dull. There's really not one nomination in any of those categories which jumps at me. There's a few which I really hope don't win, but nothing that I particularly hope does.

Boring.

They should hand out a 2006 Worst TV Comedy award, in which case my nominations would be: the woefully unfunny TittyBangBang; Hyperdrive; Dogtown; Star Stories; Feel the Force.

In terms of the show itself, I this is probably the best awards ceremony on TV. The opening fifteen minute monologue by Jonathan Ross is always good value, and the first hour is always pretty entertaining... Then it all gets a bit tiresome and you realise that these people are working in an industry which is reward in itself, and if somebody dropped a bomb on these smug self-satisfied bastards it wouldn't be much of a loss.

Best stage comedy:

Little Britain
Robin Ince's Book Club
The League of Gentlemen Are Behind You
The Mighty Boosh
The Two Faces of Mitchell and Webb

Wow. I love all those except one.
So guess who'll win.
Again.
Like they do every single fecking year.

When is it actually on? just once I'd like The Mighty Boosh to beat Little Britain! (please don't throw rocks, just yet!)

i love chris morris speech when on the hour won back in the day, pure gold