Comedy Scheduling

As the person on the guide who updates the TV and radio schedule I know a few things about the scheduling of comedy shows. However, I can't understand this: there are 4 brand new shows on at the exact same time, at 22.00 on 2nd October - Mock the Week on BBC Two, Celebrity Juice on ITV2, Detectorists on BBC Four and Scrotal Recall on Channel 4.

What possible benefit can there be in broadcasting all these shows at the exact same time. I particularly fail to see why the BBC is broadcasting a brand new sitcom on a small channel at the same time as one of their long-running panel shows on a big one.

"That Ian," he said shaking his head.
"Who? Ian the Scheduler?" asked his friend
"Yeah, him. I tell you what. He loves a good schedule, that lad."

Quote: Mikey88 @ 23rd September 2014, 3:20 PM BST

"Who? Ian the Scheduler?" asked his friend
"Yeah, him. I tell you what. He loves a good schedule, that lad."

I don't like a good schedule - I like one that isn't a pain to upload into the website.

"Who? Ian the Scheduler? asked his friend
"Yeah. Let me tell you something about that lad. He loves it when a schedule comes together."
"What on the website?"
"Aye. He loves it."

ooooooshhhh

Ian the shrubber ?

I've not once watched Mock The Week since Frankie Boyle left, no doubt they're all trying their little socks off to replace him.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 23rd September 2014, 3:13 PM BST

As the person on the guide who updates the TV and radio schedule I know a few things about the scheduling of comedy shows. However, I can't understand this: there are 4 brand new shows on at the exact same time, at 22.00 on 2nd October - Mock the Week on BBC Two, Celebrity Juice on ITV2, Detectorists on BBC Four and Scrotal Recall on Channel 4.

What possible benefit can there be in broadcasting all these shows at the exact same time. I particularly fail to see why the BBC is broadcasting a brand new sitcom on a small channel at the same time as one of their long-running panel shows on a big one.

Thursdays have long been a scheduling mystery, with often with 3 or 4 shows on at the same time.

The simple answer is that channels are competing, they want the Friday watercooler talk, and within networks they believe the programmes have different audiences.

Quote: naveed baig @ 24th September 2014, 9:02 AM BST

I've not once watched Mock The Week since Frankie Boyle left, no doubt they're all trying their little socks off to replace him.

Hello Frankie.

No - I don't bother watching it anymore.

Not very wise of BBBC, indeed. This only divides the TRP of BBC as people get confused to over watching either the funny, old show or to go for the new, experimental one. Although both belong to BBC, rescheduling one of the shows, probably the new one may help.