RIP Richard Attenborough

From the brilliant Pinkie to Jurassic Park and Ghandi, a wonderful actor and director.

Yes, so long Dickie. He was in an awful lot of films and he really was a great character actor. Some of my faves of his, TLOG, SOAWA, Loot, and Cahill where he supports John Wayne in his one film over here. Western brawls in London pubs. :)

A wonderful comedy actor.

In Loot, Miracle of 34th Street, I'm All Right Jack, The Magic Christian, Brothers in Law and many more...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 25th August 2014, 8:14 AM BST

A wonderful comedy actor.

In Loot, Miracle of 34th Street, I'm All Right Jack, The Magic Christian, Brothers in Law and many more...

Ahh, I'm Alright Jack - absolutely one of my all-time favourite films that I never tire of watching. Fabulous cast all perfect in their parts and a very funny film.

But to get back to the main point - Lord Attenborough as the vicious thug Pinkie was haunting and another great story that epitomised gritty, grimy post war Britain.

Had the pleasure of directing him in a couple of commercials.
I was a young whippersnapper but he never made me feel that way.
A true gent.

Quote: Lazzard @ 25th August 2014, 10:35 AM BST

Had the pleasure of directing him in a couple of commercials.
I was a young whippersnapper but he never made me feel that way.
A true gent.

Wow! :D

What ones were they?

I liked him. His values - and a remarkable list of films. Had always assumed that he was from a "dynasty" what with his brother being on TV too. He wasn't - but he had that air about him from a very early age.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th August 2014, 11:48 AM BST

Wow! :D

What ones were they?

Launch of BSB.
Remember the Squarial?

I remember he was brilliant in 10 Rillington Place, really creepy!

RIP old lad.

RIP

Quote: Lazzard @ 25th August 2014, 2:00 PM BST

Launch of BSB.
Remember the Squarial?

Just about, but the one, for the life of me, I can't remember now is the name of the hexagonal dish of a company that was very short lived in the 90s that tried to launch a wireless telephone system.

One word like Oracle or summat - anyone remember it?

I know! Off topic............ :S

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th August 2014, 3:12 PM BST

I remember he was brilliant in 10 Rillington Place, really creepy!

RIP old lad.

Yes, he was very good in those parts, as with Pinky.

And a supporter and Director of Chelsea.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th August 2014, 9:42 PM BST

And Director of Chelsea.

Maybe he could continue doing this despite being dead?

Too soon?

Watching the BBC TV obit. I had to smile at Edward Fox as he becomes more of a "Spitting Image" of himself each time I see him.

His strangulated voice and facial contortions are a sight to behold. Laughing out loud

Dickie also played Bartlett in The Great Escape, as spoofed later by Michael Palin in Escape From Stalag Luft.