Newsjack - Series 11 Page 22

Congrats, everyone who got the good email!

Nothing for me this week, but had a one-liner in Episode 1 and three one-liners in Episode 3, so can't complain.

Congrats Steve and anyone who got either email.

Anyone know if there's another SWYW series on the way?

:)

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 30th October 2014, 5:18 PM GMT

Sketches:
Well these are the rules that worked for me:
Short sharp dialogue, brevity is key, no more than two sentences per character dialogue. Know your three really strong punchlines, and your out punchline that twists the premise of the sketch. Twist on the story is as so important as the punchlines to the jokes dotted through your sketch.

One-Liners (or at least listing) - take any show, turn into a pun

Oh, jokes! I knew I was missing something.

But seriously, thanks for this. I'll definitely keep this in mind when I submit to the show again.

Quote: Matt Fishwick @ 30th October 2014, 10:14 PM GMT

Oh, jokes! I knew I was missing something.

But seriously, thanks for this. I'll definitely keep this in mind when I submit to the show again.

I know it sounds obvious, but I used to write sketches where I knew the premise and I'd write out the dialogue organically i.e. I would let the characters talk and try and find the humour in the situation.

Now I find a story and (maybe) a premise and I'll write out the three big punchlines and the out to the sketch as a skeleton. If I can't find at least three big punchlines then I drop the idea and move on to the next one. I do all this before I actually start writing a sketch.

It's earned me 4 credits in 2 series and 3 of those are sketch credits

I should also add to those rules, no more than one punchline per line of dialogue. It's a rule that comes from stand up, if you try and make the set up funny it takes away the punch from the punchline. Equally if you stack up jokes in one persons dialogue, the next punchline is diminished, and over all reading the dialogue becomes a little swamped and less funny.

Splitting the jokes up, so one punchline per line of dialogue, the change in character provides a breather where the reader (who has ot read a lot of the sketches quickly) can digest the joke. It's kind of like the pause after a punchline when telling a joke, it allows the audience member (i.e. the person reading your sketch) to digest the set up and the joke. If you move on too quickly, you don't give the audience time to get it.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 30th October 2014, 5:18 PM GMT

Sketches:
Well these are the rules that worked for me:
Short sharp dialogue, brevity is key, no more than two sentences per character dialogue. Know your three really strong punchlines, and your out punchline that twists the premise of the sketch.

AND FINALLY

When I say know your 3 big punchlines, I mean, know the three jokes that are stormers.

For example my British Space Cadets sketch from last series I knew that:
"It means you get to go into space--s that we need filled in the engineering sector, in Leicester"

"The only ship you'll be flying is an apprentice-ship"

And

"You'll get to work with them." "Really? "Illegal aliens I mean, if you get a job inspecting bolts in one of our many factories, in Leicester"

Were three really good jokes. Therefore I chose that sketch over another to submit, because that sketch had my biggest punchlines in. And it got on!

So if I don't have that confidence in the three big punchlines, I won't waste my time with it

Can't believe it - both our things made the cut!!!

:D

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 30th October 2014, 10:42 PM GMT

I know it sounds obvious, but I used to write sketches where I knew the premise and I'd write out the dialogue organically i.e. I would let the characters talk and try and find the humour in the situation.

That's what I've been doing. But I will aim for your approach if I submit to NewsRevue and beyond.

Cheers again.

Matt.

Quote: Bonzo @ 30th October 2014, 11:02 PM GMT

Well done. I'll be listening to the podcast shortly. Looking forward to them.

Quote: Bonzo @ 30th October 2014, 11:02 PM GMT

Well done guys! I wonder who of us will progress to the writers' room next series

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ 31st October 2014, 12:58 PM GMT

Well done guys! I wonder who of us will progress to the writers' room next series

Thank you - well done to you too!

Hi, folks

Coming to the party a bit late, but well done to everyone who got recorded this series.

I would have got absolutely nowhere this time if it hadn't been for Jane's tenacity in encouraging a partnership, as I'm incredibly time-deprived at the moment.(Apart from anything, she gently pointed out to me that I'd been missing the one-liners deadline for the first half of the series.)

Also, frankly, any partnership that manages to submit a sketch while one half is on a train to Stranraer with dodgy wifi and two kids beating the shit out of each other deserves to make the cut.

Being involved in the Kirrin Island writers' room in May really opened my eyes to the benefits of writing with others. For one thing, it made me realise just how much harder it is on your own.

See youse all in series 12!

Quote: Bonzo @ 30th October 2014, 3:56 PM GMT

We are in!!!!!

Well done!
Interesting how this series seems open to more controversial content; were you worried that having a sketch featuring a child killer might be too dark for the Beeb?

Quote: Nogget @ 3rd November 2014, 12:20 PM GMT

Well done!
Interesting how this series seems open to more controversial content; were you worried that having a sketch featuring a child killer might be too dark for the Beeb?

Well, no, seeing as how when he left our mumsy hands Kevin was merely up for 'armed robbery, fraud and general arseyness'.

Maybe it's more a reflection of the dark souls of the producers...

Quote: V Riddoch @ 3rd November 2014, 1:43 PM GMT

Well, no, seeing as how when he left our mumsy hands Kevin was merely up for 'armed robbery, fraud and general arseyness'.

also - David's reply to Simon (very un PC) was their addition - we had David commenting on how much he enjoyed Kevin's dancing Pit-bull! :)

Eleven series of this show, it must have undergone a few changes in its time, the odd new writer, that sort of thing?

Quote: V Riddoch @ 3rd November 2014, 1:43 PM GMT

So it seems! Very interesting what you and Jane report, thanks. There have been a few items in this series which surprised me in terms of their darkness, including the laughs about the dead stripper and a whole sketch related to ebola.

Quote: thebda @ 21st November 2014, 11:19 AM GMT

Does anyone have any of the podcasts from the last two series that they could send me? I have a few I could share too, if anyone is interested, but I am just trying to have the complete set.

I have:

Series 10, episodes 1, 2, 4 and 5.
Series 11, episodes 3 and 6

Cheers :)

Hello - I have:
Series 10 episode 6
Series 11 episodes 1, 2, 4.

PM me if you want 'em. :)