Road name. Page 3

Quote: Chappers @ 13th August 2014, 9:51 PM BST

First draft of the opening paragraph.

Close to the River Wey was the cul-de-sac Farlow Close just off the Milford Road.

Many years ago I used to live in Milford, Surrey. And indeed it is not far from the River Wey.

It's a small world!

The graffiti idea is a much better solution.
You still get the 'funny' name, but it gives you a chance to say something more about the protag.

Nice to know I was a 'close' second.

Quote: Marc P @ 13th August 2014, 10:47 PM BST

'Close to the River Wey was the cul-de-sac Farlow Close just off the Milford Road. A small road of 16 semi-detached 1930s houses.'

Two closes too soon and I would jig it around a bit.

Farlow Close was a cul-de-sac just off the Milford Road, a stone's throw from the River Wey. It was a small street of just sixteen semi-detached houses, built in the the nineteen thirties. ( A time when between the wars... introduce the central world of your novel here... aspiration, hope between the wars, social engineering, middle england - whatever that then links into your character's enjoyment or annoyance with the sign. The macrocosm of the whole country reduced to milieu of your story the symbolism reflected in a simple sign... or some such)

Richard Barnes had been living in the area for three years but he still smiled when he passed it. As graffiti goes it was no Banksy... (what does the sign read) and then your Mr Browns opinion etc.

Just what I meant about rejigging really. Introduce your characters in some narrative way. Illustrate rather than reiterate.

If that make sense?

Yes - thanks for that. But I won't take most of it because you'll want a credit - or worse that then - a percentage of the royalties.

As I said it's the first draft.

Quote: Deferenz @ 14th August 2014, 1:09 AM BST

Many years ago I used to live in Milford, Surrey. And indeed it is not far from the River Wey.

It's a small world!

Maybe I can tap you for some local info rather than going down there myself.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th August 2014, 9:58 AM BST

Maybe I can tap you for some local info rather than going down there myself.

No problem, ask away. I'll tell you what I can. PM me if you need to.

Quote: Chappers @ 14th August 2014, 9:58 AM BST

Yes - thanks for that. But I won't take most of it because you'll want a credit - or worse that then - a percentage of the royalties.

LOL... use if you want :)

Maybe too late now but

Santa Close

Ridick Close

Actually, I;m going to use Ridick Close myself now so just ignore that one

After a break - because the story became too close (!) to reality - I'm back and writing.

Done about 10,000 words so far. So 75,000 is a good average?

As I've said it's very Leslie Thomas-esque.

Doesn't sound very zeitgeisty?