Road name. Page 2

Whist Drive

Beetle Drive

Theendmustbe Close

Pastry Crescent

On Those Trays Crescent

Sorry, I was reading the Fawlty Towers script for A Touch of Class last night.

Coxar Gettin Gardens
Knackers Court
Boobzar Square

Quote: Neillg @ 7th August 2014, 9:52 AM BST

Fartew Close - double whammy there!
Or, using your River Wey area name: Weytew Close.

Love those two.

Quote: Lazzard @ 7th August 2014, 10:33 AM BST

Offley Close.

There's one in Margate.

Good one.

Quote: Deferenz @ 7th August 2014, 1:40 PM BST

Da Riveris Close

Oh dear, these are getting worse...

Very good!

Some other very clever ones there too.

And Badge - it had to be 5 Park Drive.

Quote: Badge @ 7th August 2014, 11:37 AM BST

Tritua Mews

That could be round the corner.

Bloody hell - good luck with your book then Chappers!! ;)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 7th August 2014, 9:13 AM BST

Can we read anything into the fact that Wey is Yew backwards? Geek

No!

Quote: Marc P @ 7th August 2014, 5:45 PM BST

Bloody hell - good luck with your book then Chappers!! ;)

Thanks. All I've got to do is write it now.

Quote: Marc P @ 7th August 2014, 8:34 AM BST

Elysium Close

Had to read a few out loud to get them - but this one eludes me.

Well, we've written the first two words for you..
You're going to have to do the other 74, 998 yourself.

You can all live in a Commune.

Has anyone read Tropic of Ruislip? I'm re-reading it now after about 40 years. Very dated in places but still typically Thomas.

Ha ha! I got a 'Very Good' from chappers. I will be dancing around all night now!

Quote: Chappers @ 7th August 2014, 5:47 PM BST

Had to read a few out loud to get them - but this one eludes me.

It's not a pun. It's a conceptual name... Thematic signifier :)

Well fancy that Badge.

TRI-TUA FARM LIMITED
Chartered Accountants
Putaruru
New Zealand

Right - thanks for all your suggestions. I've finally decided to go with ..........

None of them. Well not officially.

I Googled a couple of them. I see Offley does exist and that was my second choice.

But I Gogled Fartew Close - and all that came up was Farlow Close. Then I got the idea that someone had defaced the street sign to read Fartew which could be done quite easily. The idea is that it was defaced years ago and nothing had ever been done despite some residents disgust and others amusement.

So thank you all - especially Neill who now resides at Number 13 Fartew Close (officially Farlow Close).

First draft of the opening paragraph.

Close to the River Wey was the cul-de-sac Farlow Close just off the Milford Road. A small road of 16 semi-detached 1930s houses. Someone had defaced the street sign long ago so that it read Fartew Close but it had never been repaired. Richard Barnes always smiled as he passed it even though he'd been living there for three years. The double meaning tickled his sense of humour. Others though like Mr Brown were irate about the innuendo and was convinced it was his next-door neighbour Shane who was loud and lively and - worst of all - young! They'd had many bust ups about various things such as ???? and Brown assumed it was a reaction to their proximity. He'd written to the council on numerous occasions without anything being done. It was only when he wrote to the local paper that it was eventually re-painted. Then overnight the culprit struck again.

'Close to the River Wey was the cul-de-sac Farlow Close just off the Milford Road. A small road of 16 semi-detached 1930s houses.'

Two closes too soon and I would jig it around a bit.

Farlow Close was a cul-de-sac just off the Milford Road, a stone's throw from the River Wey. It was a small street of just sixteen semi-detached houses, built in the the nineteen thirties. ( A time when between the wars... introduce the central world of your novel here... aspiration, hope between the wars, social engineering, middle england - whatever that then links into your character's enjoyment or annoyance with the sign. The macrocosm of the whole country reduced to milieu of your story the symbolism reflected in a simple sign... or some such)

Richard Barnes had been living in the area for three years but he still smiled when he passed it. As graffiti goes it was no Banksy... (what does the sign read) and then your Mr Browns opinion etc.

Just what I meant about rejigging really. Introduce your characters in some narrative way. Illustrate rather than reiterate.

If that make sense?

Quote: Badge @ 7th August 2014, 10:42 AM BST

Miroslav Close

Curdson Way

Whist Drive

Laughing out loud