David Brent: Life On The Road

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001556/gervais_brent_film_life_on_the_road_bbc_office/

Ricky Gervais is bringing David Brent to the big screen!

I didn't mind the recent David Brent things he's done online, but is a movie a step too far? I'd love to see a one hour 'catch up' documentary with Brent 10 years on, but a movie? Does Brent's world have a movie feel to it?

Well it definitely has potential, it just depends where he takes the character next. I personally wasn't a fan of the whole music star idea of Brent but I did enjoy last year's Comic Relief sketch so hopefully it will work out to be a good movie.

I never think TV shows should become films, even my favourite ones. Keep them separate!
But some of them do end up working.

Well they used to make films out of sitcoms all the time in the 70s. But nowadays TV is where it's at, as in movie actors appearing in their own big hit shows. So it's a bit pointless reaching for the big screen.

I've really gone off Ricky lately, even though I used to be a big supporter, he's just not hot property any more.

Still, I'll watch this as David Brent is a solid character.

I'll watch it too, basically because I thought that Brent's rendition of 'If You Don't Know Me By Now' was brilliant. Saying that though, I feel as though he may be flogging a dead horse twelve years on as the Christmas Special pretty much wrapped it up.

Do you think that his Labrador, Nelson will be making an appearance, assuming that he's not yet ascended into the great kennel in the sky?

Quote: G180e @ 5th August 2014, 4:55 PM BST

Well it definitely has potential, it just depends where he takes the character next. I personally wasn't a fan of the whole music star idea of Brent but I did enjoy last year's Comic Relief sketch so hopefully it will work out to be a good movie.

So did I but there is a big difference between a 20 minute sketch and a feature film and I doubt I'll like the film. I wish these huge comedy egos like Gervais and Coogan would stop indulging themselves and being indulged by fawning broadcasters.

He ended The Office for artistic reasons when most creators would have gone on but is now bringing back the main star for a movie because he's got more material for him. Hmmm, having your cake and eating it isn't it. Stick by your artistic decisions man. Like John Cleese did.

Unimpressed can't really see this working. But then, I am a mega-cynic.

:D Not really a fan of his other stuff, but ANYTHING 'Brent-ish' is fine by me. It is a marvellous character and I am sure that the film will be a success and very funny! I just hope that when it gets a DVD release, the bonus features will include the "Quality Street" video and the "Learn Guitar With David Brent" videos. More "EXTRAS", would be a great idea too, in my opinion!

Quote: Will Cam @ 7th August 2014, 8:59 AM BST

Unimpressed can't really see this working. But then, I am a mega-cynic.

You can tell by your avatar guy

I'm quite looking forward to it, I loved The Office and I'm just glad he's stopped doing that rubbish Derek thing.

This is due for release during the next few weeks. I've seen a poster up in my local flea pit, so it must be true.

Trailers look good, let's hope it lives up to the mark.

I'll certainly watch it, but I'm with the others of you who have stated that taking a good show and making a movie of it in comedy is usually a bad move. I'm guessing that the writing and structure and plot are just so different in movies that people who are good writers for shows end up floundering when having to write a full screenplay. It's just a different beast, writing-wise.

Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot more good US comedy movies than UK ones. I might just think that because I've seen more American ones, or maybe just because there are more US ones. There are certainly a ton of s**t US comedies. Maybe I just need to see more good British comedic films. I haven't really seen all that many, to be honest.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 4th August 2016, 10:56 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like there are a lot more good US comedy movies than UK ones.

There are certainly a lot more relatively contemporary and indeed populist ones, but on the whole I wouldn't say that is the case. We've a wealth of a back-catalogue of genuine greats. The 1950s and 1960s were particularly rich for British comedy at the cinema.

Quote: Aaron @ 5th August 2016, 12:32 AM

There are certainly a lot more relatively contemporary and indeed populist ones, but on the whole I wouldn't say that is the case. We've a wealth of a back-catalogue of genuine greats. The 1950s and 1960s were particularly rich for British comedy at the cinema.

Oh, good to know. I'd really love to hear any recommendations you have. I don't know much of anything about that era of British comedy.

Quote: Davida Grimes @ 5th August 2016, 12:50 AM

Oh, good to know. I'd really love to hear any recommendations you have. I don't know much of anything about that era of British comedy.

You'd do far worse than starting here: https://www.comedy.co.uk/film/top/

Life On The Road is only the latest in a resurgent line of TV comedies (and TV comedy characters) getting big screen outings of course. You could have a look at our list and see if anything grabs your attention. Use the drop-down at the top to filter by release year and look for more recent stuff, perhaps.