Ten Questions Which Make Up A Story

Hiya,
I was fortunate enough to be recently selected to attend a BBC Writersroom writing workshop at MediaCity, Salford which I attended earlier this week. There were plenty of excellent tips, advice and pointers on offer such as...

What a character needs is always different from what a character wants.
The "need" is almost always apparent at the beginning of the script.
The "want" almost always comes from the inciting incident.

Multiple protagonists need different wants.

Be individual and distinct in your voice. Write a script that nobody else could have written the way you do.

However, I figured I'd share this particular snippet in full with fellow BCGers.

Ten Questions Which Make Up A Story:

To many of us, this set of questions may seem obvious when planning your script, (or even a novel) but it's certainly a handy tool to implement.

Basically, you need to ask yourself these ten questions about your story. If you can't answer them all, then you don't yet have a complete story and so thus your script or outline needs more work.

1) Whose story is it?

2) Why should we care about the protagonist? (How have you made sure your audience will invest time with this character?)

3) What emotional state is the protagonist at the beginning? (What does he/she need?)

4) What is the inciting incident? (What event changes the protagonist's world?)

5) What does the inciting incident make the protagonist want?

6) What obstacles are in the way?

7) What is at stake?

8) What does the protagonist learn? (How does the journey change him/her?)

9) What is the moment of crisis? (What is the final test of character?)

10) How does it end?

Of course, every story is different, but these questions should make up the structure, no matter how loosely.

Hope I've been of help in some way. :)

Fascinating. This reminds me of the chapter on screenplays in John Vorhaus' 'Comic Toolbox' which in turn reminded me of 'The Graduate'.

"There is a chest in the middle of the forest. It contains the most fascinating thing in the world. You take a key, open it and..."

This short story (based on one by Grimm) seems to break all the rules above. It doesn't even have a protagonist.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 13th July 2014, 9:03 AM BST

"There is a chest in the middle of the forest. It contains the most fascinating thing in the world. You take a key, open it and..."

This short story (based on one by Grimm) seems to break all the rules above. It doesn't even have a protagonist.

But it does, Paul - you.

I'm very suspicious of this "writing by numbers" notion - it seems guaranteed to stifle spontaneity.

'Where's the money?' Is always the first question!

Quote: beaky @ 13th July 2014, 9:46 AM BST

I'm very suspicious of this "writing by numbers" notion - it seems guaranteed to stifle spontaneity.

I think this sort of thing is sueful to fall back on when you get stuck, but I wouldn't start with it in the front of my mind.

Quote: Marc P @ 13th July 2014, 9:47 AM BST

'Where's the money?' Is always the first question!

:D

Quote: beaky @ 13th July 2014, 9:46 AM BST

I usually hate any type of, like you say, paint by numbers "rules," and was very sceptical at first, but as he rolled off lots of mainstream films, applying this technique, it always seemed to fit, no matter how loosely.

is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?
is it mrs browns boys?

Quote: gappy @ 13th July 2014, 11:07 AM BST

I think this sort of thing is sueful to fall back on when you get stuck, but I wouldn't start with it in the front of my mind.

Agreed. You start with your idea and turn it into a story in your own way. :)

You may not need them all but it's a useful list when you're flagging a bit and need a kick-start.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th July 2014, 4:47 PM BST

You may not need them all but it's a useful list when you're flagging a bit and need a kick-start.

Seconded.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ 12th July 2014, 1:40 PM BST

10) How does it end?

Surely it's easy to answer how your story ends, you just look at the last bit.

So asking how it ends surely won't get you anywhere, instead you've got to ask yourself something else about the ending.

Starting with the ending when writing is a good technique.

Quote: Nogget @ 16th July 2014, 5:12 AM BST

So asking how it ends surely won't get you anywhere, instead you've got to ask yourself something else about the ending.

Why does it end is better.