Why are there so few genuinely funny novels? Page 3

I think, from my experience, comedy as a genre isnt really categorised by agents and publishers so it's difficult to get visibility in that respect. I write relatively successful historical fiction that is undeniably comedy, but its billed as historical and Im an Historical writer as far as my publishers are concerned. Its the same for other writers. A writing group Im part of is purely for comedy but all of us find ourselves stuck in other genres, be it SciFi, Romance, detective etc. I think it's easier for publishers as funny is subjective, but its a bugger for readers and writers.

Sorry, first post but thought the thread was really interesting.

Quote: Jemahl Evans @ 28th January 2020, 1:47 PM

I think, from my experience, comedy as a genre isnt really categorised by agents and publishers so it's difficult to get visibility in that respect. I write relatively successful historical fiction that is undeniably comedy, but its billed as historical and Im an Historical writer as far as my publishers are concerned. Its the same for other writers. A writing group Im part of is purely for comedy but all of us find ourselves stuck in other genres, be it SciFi, Romance, detective etc. I think it's easier for publishers as funny is subjective, but its a bugger for readers and writers.

Sorry, first post but thought the thread was really interesting.

I found it interesting.
What historical period do you write about?
It must be hard to break into writing to be relatively successful.

I find Bill Bryson funny sometimes. I have found James Herriot funny at times. On occasion David Niven's autobiography and book on Hollywood made me laugh as did 'Lucky Jim' and 'Cold Comfort Farm' and 'Portnoy's Complaint'. I can't think of that many books I have found really funny though.

It's hard enough to write a novel I think, without making it funny too. Interesting what you say about publishers.
I wonder if it's easier to write an amusing children's book. I can think of several authors I found funny at times as a child, like Richmal Crompton (her 'Just William' books) and I was sometimes amused by the Paddington books and Adrian Mole.

I write Blackadder/Flashman style stuff set in the English Civil War, but in all honesty it was luck that my first book got picked up by a publisher (as well as hard graft writing them), then got really lucky that the Times reviewer picked it as she liked the period. I havent given up the teaching day job yet though.

Kids are naturally drawn to humour so preteen books pretty much require it and most teen/tween books have a large dollop of it, but they are also less demanding as comedy consumers, I think. Biting satire tends to leave them bored stiff, but they love a good fart joke.

For the rest of us looking for comedy books, it leaves us trawling amazon in other genres. It's something the writing groups Im in all bemoan.

Quote: Jemahl Evans @ 28th January 2020, 1:47 PM

I think, from my experience, comedy as a genre isnt really categorised by agents and publishers so it's difficult to get visibility in that respect. .

Quote: Jemahl Evans @ 30th January 2020, 10:55 AM

I write Blackadder/Flashman style stuff set in the English Civil War, but in all honesty it was luck that my first book got picked up by a publisher (as well as hard graft writing them), then got really lucky that the Times reviewer picked it as she liked the period. I havent given up the teaching day job yet though.

Kids are naturally drawn to humour so preteen books pretty much require it and most teen/tween books have a large dollop of it, but they are also less demanding as comedy consumers, I think. Biting satire tends to leave them bored stiff, but they love a good fart joke.

For the rest of us looking for comedy books, it leaves us trawling amazon in other genres. It's something the writing groups Im in all bemoan.

These are good insights thanks for posting. I think there is or used to be a Comic Novels category but they usually centred on literary examples with the odd well known authored properly funny book from a tight little circle of writers like Spike Milligan, but many are now being written by (greedy) comedians again in a very exclusive marketplace. I reckon a vast number of 'comedy novels' are actually Satires with varying amounts of LOL humour in them and as you say, are for more worldly readers usually.

Publishers have a reputation for being high brow and exclusive and this will naturally sift out a lot of comedy mss coming their way. Research and target your publisher carefully is obvious advice. I'm still slowly scribbling mine, long way off the rejection conveyor belt yet.

No mention of J P Donlevy 'Ginger Man' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ginger_Man

Not a novel but Toby Young's How To Lose Friends and Alienate People is very funny even though I'm not generally a fan of his these days.
Caitlin Moran is usually good whether writing fiction or not.
Dan Rhodes is often VERY funny in his novels. Strongly recommend him.
Also Diary of a Nobody and Three Men in a Boat though both very old.
Agree with others about Sharpe, Adams, Pratchett, Townsend.