British Comics Page 2

I recently joined a 2000AD group on FB for a bit of nostalgia
They had Dan Dare in for a bit
I Also did buy the New Eagle as well as some of the Old Eagle reprints and Annuals so remember DD well

The Doomlord pic mad me laugh, I'm trying to remember other stories now from the new Eagle
Thunderbolt and lightfoot or Smokey or something? a football strip
And one called Joe Soap or Soper... it's been a while my memory isn't what it was

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 22nd May 2014, 7:28 PM

there was Topper, Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Nutter, Shiver and Shake (supposedly two rival comics?).

These were my favourites along with Beezer which vied with Buster for my top favourite, I loved the novelty of the broadsheet Beezer I always read lying down on the floor. Forget the publisher but most of these merged at some point.

All had a lot of Viz spoof/copy strips as these were favourite comics of the Viz brothers, I recognised a lot of Buster strips especially in the early mid Viz eds some only appearing once or twice. The Christmas annuals of Topper and Beezer were magical, snow and Christmas trees on every page, I remember through the veil of happy nostalgia. :)

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th June 2021, 11:58 PM

. The Christmas annuals of Topper and Beezer were magical, snow and Christmas trees on every page, I remember through the veil of happy nostalgia. :)

Me too. :( Reading the Beano or Dandy Christmas annual at 5 in the morning, after extracting it from the Christmas stocking at the bottom of the bed.

Have boxes and boxes of Buster comics from the 1960s I bought at auction a few years ago, for selling on eBay, when I can get round to it.

I had a cartoon joke published in the Beano in about 1967.
I was thrilled as they printed it as I had drawn it.

I also received a goody bag from them and a 5 shillings postal order.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 8th June 2021, 7:48 AM

I had a cartoon joke published in the Beano in about 1967.
I was thrilled as they printed it as I had drawn it.

I also received a goody bag from them and a 5 shillings postal order.

Never quite made it - the only thing I have is a mint condition unused Eagle Autograph book, still in its envelope, AND the paintings I sent up to Tony Hart - bitterly disappointed when they ran through the gallery of work sent in each week and none of mine ever appeared. Teary

But, PLEASE, say you still have a copy or cutting of your Beano cartoon, Stephen, as I for one would love to see it!!

I had it for years but alas before the digital age.
I have searched online for the edition but people want silly money for them.
Shame.

I have a few Dandy and Beano from my era of the 50s, and odd copies of Topper and Beezer, which I wallow in, but bought them a few years ago off eBay, and prices are silly now; BUT that is what people will pay for childhood nostalgia. Fortunately, I bought mine before the prices went mad.

When I think back to some of those I used to have as a kid - for some reason I clearly remember one of the Dandys coming out with a free Banger - how I wish I'd kept that!!

16 years ago, this 1937 first edition of the Dandy with the free gift, was expected to fetch £7-9,000, it went for wait for it........................over £20,000. GULP

AND the same buyer, from Essex, paid over £12,000 for a first edition of the Beano.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 8th June 2021, 8:34 AM

Never quite made it - the only thing I have is a mint condition unused Eagle Autograph book, still in its envelope, AND the paintings I sent up to Tony Hart - bitterly disappointed when they ran through the gallery of work sent in each week and none of mine ever appeared. Teary

Forgot to post the 1958 envelope it came in, which I only do, so you can see how kids were addressed then! "Master" :D

I mentioned the postal order earlier.
I put it in my post office account and it was stamped in my post office savings book that had the name Master S Goodlad. :)

There are quite a number of 1967 Beano comics here on eBay, and yes, some are silly prices of around £15, BUT there a number at only around £5 BIN inc. post, which is not bad! There's no way you are going to pick up Beano of that period for a quid, if that's what you were thinking. ;)

If it was me, I would be hunting that comic down, FOR SURE!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=beano+comic+1967&_sacat=63&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=beano+1967&_osacat=63

But do you think the Dandy was named after the Scottish way of saying Dundee?

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 7th June 2021, 11:15 PM

I recently joined a 2000AD group on FB for a bit of nostalgia
They had Dan Dare in for a bit
I Also did buy the New Eagle as well as some of the Old Eagle reprints and Annuals so remember DD well

The Doomlord pic mad me laugh, I'm trying to remember other stories now from the new Eagle
Thunderbolt and lightfoot or Smokey or something? a football strip
And one called Joe Soap or Soper... it's been a while my memory isn't what it was

I've got about 900 2000AD's in my attic. I made the hard decision to get rid of them just before last X-mas and my mate was meant to take them but he jibbed. So I'm stuck with them:D

I'm tempted to drive over now with a derivative offer and a sixpack as I still regret getting rid of my collection a bit
but you are better off trying to get a few bob for them or just keeping for the sake of it
If I had a collection again I'd probably be forced to get rid anyway but It would be great to read some of those old stories again, I may have a look if there's any new Dredd anthologies worth getting

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 8th June 2021, 9:17 PM

I'm tempted to drive over now with a derivative offer and a sixpack as I still regret getting rid of my collection a bit
but you are better off trying to get a few bob for them or just keeping for the sake of it
If I had a collection again I'd probably be forced to get rid anyway but It would be great to read some of those old stories again, I may have a look if there's any new Dredd anthologies worth getting

Lots of other comics like Eagle, Victor etc. can be bought on CD Roms.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th June 2021, 10:40 PM

Lots of other comics like Eagle, Victor etc. can be bought on CD Roms.

Yes, but who would really want to do that. You can't beat holding an actual issue from 50/60 years ago.

Quote: Chappers @ 8th June 2021, 7:58 PM

But do you think the Dandy was named after the Scottish way of saying Dundee?

Hoot's, I dinnae noo. Scotland Where did you read that?