Kirrin Island April 2014 Page 2

You've not heard of Derek & Clive? :O

Yes heard Derek and Clive. Theatre of the very absurd with very bad language. Not topical comedy as I recall. Just drunken fun in the studio.

Quote: Marc P @ 2nd May 2014, 9:58 AM BST

Don't remember him doing Danny Boyle type stuff?

Like Trainspotting and 28 Days Later? :)

That's that fellow!!

:D

And he ran the Olympics!

Not known for satire, though?

Not sure if satire is the right comedy genre for human tragedy on a grand scale?

Yes, but you need subjects to be satirical about, you can't just say "Nothing that may cause offence."

You can. They do. It's their show after all. You can complain to the manager of your local Tesco that your tin of Heinz baked beans has no meat in it. If he or she or she is in a tolerant mood they may point out the breakfast in a tin variety, or the one that comes with bangers. But people usually do their own research before purchase.

To step away from the banter for a moment though Paul. You seem to be missing the difference between 'satire' and 'fun and topical' and it is the latter that this show is claiming and trying to be .

Quote: Marc P @ 3rd May 2014, 1:29 AM BST

To step away from the banter for a moment though Paul. You seem to be missing the difference between 'satire' and 'fun and topical' and it is the latter that this show is claiming and trying to be .

Well I did start with Peter Cook was spinning in his grave, Marc. I put my own opinion onto the revolutions of a well known satirist. It was only when you said "He wasn't controversial" or "He wasn't topical" was I forced to admit my true feelings.

And yet they remain more Peter Cook's revolutions... Angelic

I'm not sure what point you are making. I didn't make either of the comments you attribute to me. By all means by the way point me to a clip or a reference or a link to some material of Peter Cook's wherein he satirises human tragedy of a topical and vast scale. You do know what satire is? This is a writers forum Paul, it's best maybe to put forward your own thoughts and criticisms on the show rather than attribute them 'Derek Accora' like to a dead comedy great whose genius embraced so much more than satire. I don't think even Derek believes himself by the way. Give us some examples is all I am asking. Understanding a brief is pretty vital in being successful as a freelance writer for hire. Surely this is important on Elance too?

You seem to have a complex about Elance? Would you like to talk about it?

I know nothing about Elance I believe I have already said this. Sorry if this makes me a Luddite in your minds eye. Happy to talk about anything you wish to share with the group though Paul. At the moment though we are discussing the role comedy can play in the handling of sensitive issues and specifically in this case with regards to a human tragedy on a grand scale. You seem to think Satire is the way to deal with this and had a dig at the people from here who make the show because they don't feel it is right for their particular baby. Just be interesting to hear why you think satire here would be appropriate and how it might be used. It's all to do with a specific point raised and was being discussed .

I'm wondering if you don't get people changing their point? Maybe I need to do more stand up, get my point of view in order?

I think you made an honest mistake in terms of what the show is about. It's okay, as you say sometimes it's best to move on.

You don't need to do the comedy in this section of the forum. It's for asking and giving advice discussing style and craft and opportunities that come along,dealing with comedy issues from the writers perspective- it's a very small part of the site as a whole.