Only Fools And Horses - the Grandad years Page 2

Quote: george roper @ 3rd June 2014, 1:13 AM BST

Gordon Bennett, you'll be putting frozen pizzas into the portable next.

No, I won't! ;)

"Long legs..." was a great episode by the way (as was "May the force..."). One of my favourite lines was:

Grandad: "You put a slur on this family's name, Rodney!"

Rodney: "Oh leave off Grandad. I'd have to get done for chicken molesting to bring a slur on this family's name!"

Laughing out loud

I'm reading Graham McCann's book at the moment and the chapter concerning Lennard Pearce's death and the resulting re-writes required to keep the show going are a thumping good read. On the strength of this I am going to rent series 1-3 to try and recapture some of that Trotter magic.

Grandad's best line, in my opinion, was in the episode 'No greater love'.

Rodney
No. She's about - 30.

Del
What d'you mean about 30? How old is she exactly?

Rodney

Del and Grandad
40? 40?

Del
You're not being serious are you?

Rodney
Well what's wrong with going
out with a woman of 40?

Del
Nothing, nothing at all, if
you happen to be 50! Blimey
she's even too old for me!

Grandad
Well I'd have to think twice!

Del force feeding Grandad the cheese burger always gets me.

Quote: Steve Whyley @ 7th July 2014, 3:53 PM BST

Del
Nothing, nothing at all, if
you happen to be 50! Blimey
she's even too old for me!

How old is Del supposed to be, anyway? In 'Tea for Three' in 1986, Rodney says he's nearly 46, but he may have been lying. David Jason was 40 when the show started (and, funnily enough, Nick Lyndhurst was 40 when it ended).

Del's age was a bit of a mystery in the series. In McCann's book he says that, according to Rock and Chips Del is 15 in 1960 making his year of birth 1945, but other episodes of OFAH have moved his age about a few years. Continuity huh?

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 8th July 2014, 9:56 PM BST

Del's age was a bit of a mystery in the series. In McCann's book he says that, according to Rock and Chips Del is 15 in 1960 making his year of birth 1945, but other episodes of OFAH have moved his age about a few years. Continuity huh?

Had Sullivan lived and they had made that special, we would have seen his 65th birthday, which would have been a neat coda to Rock and Chips.

And Another Great Moment from Grandad. Grandad Talks to the Urn

For me the best series were with granddad the funny stuff often being the little things he did like watching three TVs at once. Uncle Albert was fine but a little bit of the magic was lost when granddad went. However, more magic was lost when the shows went for 50 mins and when Cassandra and Raquel joined. Romantically pairing up lead characters often fails esp when Rodders got married and left Nelson Mandela Towers

Love the Let It Rains episode when granddad is telling is story about gun running in the Spanish civil war and Rodney calls him a dirty little mercenary . G "Oh no, we felt a deep political cause " D " which side were you on? G " well , which ever side had the most money "

Quote: ed williams @ 21st August 2014, 5:42 PM BST

Love the Let It Rains episode when granddad is telling is story about gun running in the Spanish civil war and Rodney calls him a dirty little mercenary . G "Oh no, we felt a deep political cause " D " which side were you on? G " well , which ever side had the most money "

You mean 'It Never Rains'.

"D'you want a jammy granddad?"
"Nah, I had one before we left Del-boy."

One of my favourite Granddad moments is after he's undone the bolt holding the chandelier. He just walks down the stairs with such a happy and contented look on his face. Cracks me up every time.

As I'm sure I have said in a previous post some time ago...

The one thing I have always remembered about Lennard Pearce was something he said shortly after VHS came about was that due to this invention he would never die. And now we have DVDs he was spot-on as he has been immortalised forever.

Here is the last ever episode with Grandad in http://vimeo.com/89823200 You should watch it I like it. A shame he died though.I had a thought if he didn't die and he died in 1988 I wonder what would of happened then? Would Albert be in it or Would Buster Merryfield would be in it?

Quote: Gazzo @ 13th November 2014, 6:57 PM GMT

I had a thought if he didn't die and he died in 1988 I wonder what would of happened then? Would Albert be in it or Would Buster Merryfield would be in it?

Are you drunk?

Anyway, thanks for posting the link. I never heard of that episode/clip before. Is this featured on the latest complete boxset?