Comedy Playhouse 2014: Over To Bill

I am really happy to hear that the BBC are re-viving this pilot episodes scheme. It's a great way to see whether or not certain formats work or not before jumping in straight away with a full series. The first Playhouse pilot to be shown is Over To Bill following an out of work weatherman, the plot sounds good so I for one am looking forward to it.

Doug Naylor made his first pilot for this in 2010 (I think) so it has been around for a while. The fact that Baby Cow and Hugh Dennis are involved bodes well.

Even if this were commissioned for a series though, it would be ages before it could be made I guess. Doug Naylor will be working on the new series of Red Dwarf well into next year...

Quote: G180e @ 18th April 2014, 10:34 PM BST

I am really happy to hear that the BBC are re-viving this pilot episodes scheme. It's a great way to see whether or not certain formats work or not before jumping in straight away with a full series. The first Playhouse pilot to be shown is Over To Bill following an out of work weatherman, the plot sounds good so I for one am looking forward to it.

I'd like to see more as well, but who are they given to? Current sitcom writers and ex sitcom writers only, or anyo...splutter..anyone? Cann't really see the BBC letting the latter happen. But that's what a true pilot is for, seeing if an unknown writer is any good. I'm expecting to see yet more standup and/or panel show names on the credits. :(

Mega yawn: the trials and tribulations of a middle aged, uninteresting and now out of work TV weatherman.

With Neil Morrissey onboard it just comes across like a clapped out Men Behaving Badly!

Like Curb Your Enthusiasm, if Curb was much more cheesy and really really shit.

Quote: curtis patrick @ 29th April 2014, 11:16 PM BST

Like Curb Your Enthusiasm, if Curb was much more cheesy and really really shit.

Ha ha ha!

Hilarious. I'd absolutely love to see a series.

Quote: gb901 @ 29th April 2014, 10:50 PM BST

Mega yawn: the trials and tribulations of a middle aged, uninteresting and now out of work TV weatherman.

With Neil Morrissey onboard it just comes across like a clapped out Men Behaving Badly!

Have to agree. It came across as very derivative, seen it all before comedy. It didn't help that the pivotal "swapping the gift tags on the wedding presents" gag was a direct lift from Only Fools and Horses.

Quote: Basil Rathbon @ 30th April 2014, 12:23 PM BST

Have to agree. It came across as very derivative, seen it all before comedy. It didn't help that the pivotal "swapping the gift tags on the wedding presents" gag was a direct lift from Only Fools and Horses.

Unfortunately I've seen that plot joke in 37 sitcoms.

It was a decent pilot but nothing really grabbed me about it. The ending was quite funny but I cannot see where they could take it for a full series, to be honest.

Quote: Aaron @ 29th April 2014, 11:38 PM BST

You're shitting me?

No.

I thought it was good too. Maybe liking the actors helps - especially Tracey-Ann.

Yes there were a few predictables and you thought as he put the present on the roof - no. he's not going to forget it is he?

Eating the cakes was a bit obvious but the breast milk came out of the blue.

Also when Bill said about his wife being ill you just knew she'd turn up.

However as I said I enjoyed it. Bill digging himself into deeper and deeper holes.

Yes - I can see it being a series.

Seems like it got decent viewing figures so a chance of a series I guess.

Also seems that even on the Red Dwarf fan forums they thought it was weak though...

Quote: Aaron @ 29th April 2014, 11:38 PM BST

Why hasn't this post been deleted yet?