Monty Python sketches suitable for kids? Page 2

Quote: sootyj @ 3rd April 2014, 9:17 AM BST

That ones got swearing and loads of violence.

How old are the potential audience? Are they old enough to recognise a larch?

Kids are normally quite good at differentiating real violence from cartoon violence, and I'd say (from memory) the Monty Python sketches tend to wards cartoon/comedic violence.

Of course, it'll take time to fit in, but if Harridan's after many more I don't need too much persuading to watch all the DVDs again...

Has anyone mentioned the sketch training us how not to be seen/how to hide? (The one where various bushes get blown up).

They're French so they've got a worrying propensity to make impenetrable existentialist films if sufficiently upset.

Quote: sootyj @ 4th April 2014, 12:43 AM BST

They're French so they've got a worrying propensity to make impenetrable existentialist films if sufficiently upset.

Yikes!

Arthur Two Sheds Jackson?
Philosophers' football match?

Must admit I've always loved the restaurant sketch with the dirty cutlery... Some attempted violence, but suitably OTT/comic iirc.

Quote: faceless @ 3rd April 2014, 5:26 PM BST

confuse a cat - brilliant

This

I was going to say the Cheese shop
But I seem to recall a " I don't care how f**king runny it is "
So I'll go for Nudge Nudge, or something with poo & farts

Quote: Tim Azure @ 2nd April 2014, 8:59 PM BST

Monty Python was a follow up to Do Not Adjust Your Set, which was sold as a kid's show.

Partly true.

Do Not Adjust Your Set was on kids TV and starred 3 Pythons: Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin (Terry Gilliam did some animation in some of the later episodes). It also featured David Jason (Del Boy).

I remember watching it and loving it as a teenager, as it was sort of "junior Python".

Then the cast wanted to do more "grown up" sketches, but the TV company would not let them.

During this time Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin were writing sketches for The Frost Report (and appearing in some of them).

John Cleese and Graham Chapman were also writing sketches for The Frost Report with John Cleese appearing in the show.

So all the Pythons had met at Frost Report script conferences and knew each other well so agreed to join up for Python.

In fact without David Front there would probably have been no Python, or Two Ronnies as both the Ronnies met and appeared together on The Frost Report.

Conrad Poohs and his Dancing Teeth.

While people talk about the individual sketches I always felt that what took Python above a "normal" (all be it zany) sketch show was the "stream of consciousness" ideas running through some (but not all) of the shows.

I remember one show where "theme" was anagrams and many sketches (and even the closing credits) were in anagram.

One sketch showed Eric Idle going into the "Mary Recruiting Office" (a scene filmed outdoors) to join the army. Graham Chapman was the recruiting officer.

Half way through the sketch Chapman stopped, walked outside, and in another scene filmed outdoors, changed the sign to read Army Recruiting Office.

And of course the "Spanish Inquisition" show when almost every sketch was stopped when somebody said "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition" and they burst in.

All expect the LAST "court room" sketch where the Spanish Inquisition were sitting at home reading the paper when they realised they had missed the end of the sketch.

As they rushed to the court room the closing credits started, and just as they burst into the court room "The End" popped up and Michael Palin said "Oh Bugger".

One of the great endings of any sketch show.

I don't know... most of their language is easily made child-friendly. But Pythons have this beautiful way of being silly that a lot of people don't understand. I think it stems from their "social critique" that is basically a critique of rational behaviour itself... But not to go to deep... I'm not sure kids are going to get it :)

What about the world Hide and Seek championship?

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 4th April 2014, 12:40 AM BST

How old are the potential audience? Are they old enough to recognise a larch?

Kids are normally quite good at differentiating real violence from cartoon violence, and I'd say (from memory) the Monty Python sketches tend to wards cartoon/comedic violence.

Of course, it'll take time to fit in, but if Harridan's after many more I don't need too much persuading to watch all the DVDs again...

Has anyone mentioned the sketch training us how not to be seen/how to hide? (The one where various bushes get blown up).

The big-screen version of this sketch contains the 'name' Smegma which might arouse the curiosity of some inquisitive kids. Not sure if 'Smegma' is heard in the TV show or not.

Bicycle repair man? He's a super hero. :)