Meetup in London Page 2

Pixie magic. And lots of it.

I'd be interested in meeting up too. I live in Devon, but I should be able to make it. (The more notice the better).

The Slaggies would love a meet-up.

Preferably Brumingum but London could be done.

SlagA

That quote:

The voice of passion is better than the voice of reason.
The passionless cannot change history.
- Czeslaw Milosz

Why does Milosz assume passion and reason are diametrically opposed? Einstein (imo the greatest melding of passion and reason the world has ever seen) changed the world.

And if we look at politicians then 'passionless' politicians have changed history, if not directly through their passionless reasoned policies then indirectly. For example, Neville Chamberlain's weak passionless dealings with Hitler led the fascists to believe Britain would not carry through their threat of war if the invasion of Poland went ahead.

This is in no way a dig at the person who choose the quote, it's just curiosity as to why Milosz would write something that sounds 'wise' but isn't even truthful.

SlagA

Quote: SlagA @ August 28, 2006, 12:28 PM

That quote:

The voice of passion is better than the voice of reason.
The passionless cannot change history.
- Czeslaw Milosz

Why does Milosz assume passion and reason are diametrically opposed? Einstein (imo the greatest melding of passion and reason the world has ever seen) changed the world.

I don't think he's assuming that they are complete extremes of each other... more that the voice of passion is more powerful in changing the world. Sure there are exceptions; Einstein is a notable and worthy example. Milosz, a Polish poet, lived through the World Wars and produced this poem (Child of Europe) in 1945 (I believe). I think he trying to show how words and language can be used as weapons to fight evil in war. Therefore, there is a need to inject a healthy dose of passion in these words to carry them forward. The voice of reason is certainly important - a world without it would surely not survive. But in time of war, the voice of passion is essential for victory.

Well, that's just my take on it anyway. :)

Excellent response. Thanks for putting it into context for me. Your reasoning, passionately put, has swayed me.

:D

SlagA

______________________________________________________________ www.welshwriters.org.uk/slaggbrothers - Anarchic Welsh writers www.welshwriters.org.uk/ajdesmond - a new Sci-fi / Humour writer

We'er always on the look out for a road trip excuse so count us in my partner and I (am not gay or out). We'er coming from Manchester so if you could give us a bit of notice, we'll need to knock up some sandwiches and really weak vimpto.

"if you buy shit toilet paper your going to get dirty finger nails"
Ann Drex