Mann's Best Friends

I am trying to buy the complete series. Anyone watched it if so was it any good?
What was it about?

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 24th March 2014, 6:12 PM GMT

What was it about?

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/manns_best_friends/buy/3776/manns_best_friends_the_complete_series_dvd/

Good cast isn't it?

Yes, a very good cast indeed! I'm looking forward to it.

Shame this is one of Roy Clarke's underrated sitcoms though. I wondered why this hasn't been repeated

Quite a peculiar series. Starts off really well, remains quite funny throughout, but feels a little more disjointed by the end.

I am halfway through the series, it's not really good. It's boring and disjointed, a great cast, but it's underwhelming and total disappointing so far I am not surprised they made another series.

Just finished the series. Wasn't very good, well disappointed especially with the great cast that was in there. Boring, I don't think I'll watch it again to be quite honest.

Really cool theme tune though.

Reginald Marsh appeared in episode 1! He appears in everything him doesn't he.

I watched Mann's Best Friends when it was first shown on TV, which I guess was back in 1985. I remember it being a warm gentle comedy and I looked forward to every episode. I picked up the dvd of the series a little while back and I must give it another view.

I'm quite comedy literate but I haven't heard of this sitcom either, but I come on here to learn stuff as well as talk the hind legs off of a donkey. I am, however a great fan of Roy Clarke's Keeping Up Appearances and I didn't feel from reading behind the scenes material and watching the recentish Channel 5 documetary that Clarke was a particularly good writer - he certainly didn't wish to engage with Harold Snoad who re-jigged quite a lot of his lines. Maybe I should start a seperate thread for the discussion of Roy Clarke's work? My response will be greyed out by then ...

Keeping Up Appearances is by far his best show

I find pretty much all his other work pretty mediocre

Quote: lofthouse @ 14th March 2024, 11:27 AM

Keeping Up Appearances is by far his best show

I find pretty much all his other work pretty mediocre

I agree wholeheartedly. KuA was sublime due to the cast and Harold Snoad's re-writes.