The Trip - Series 2 Page 3

Sunnier and drier? That's not a combo you see often.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 5th April 2014, 6:30 PM BST

I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The recycled impressions don't bother me, if they're funny to begin with then they remain funny when repeated a few times. As well as being amusing I think it ties in with the little sub plot of them trying to outwit each other all the time. So for me half the fun of the impressions is the air of desperation about them.

I don't think this is any kind of ego trip for these guys, if anything they come off as looking a bit tragic but I think that's the idea. It mixes fiction with a fair amount of their real characters which I think is very absorbing. The part where Steve ponders on the fact that young girls see him in a non sexual way was very well done. Moments like that are what make The Trip much more than just two blokes doing impressions on holiday. The way it's shot is sublime too.

My only gripe is the way in which they both behave while eating. Elbows on the table, talking with full mouths and the general slovenliness can take me out of the moment.

Methinks you're giving it far too much credit than it's due?

We get it gb. He dissed Norwich. Let it go.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ 6th April 2014, 10:06 PM BST

Splendid to see begrudgery is still alive and well and doing great business.

My view is that this show is brilliant. No need (IMO) to overanalyse the 'craft', 'technique' or general quality of the material. Just smile, and if so moved, maybe, as the kids say, LOL.

Undoubtedly the funniest comedy in the past 5 years. Brydon must be one of the most 'affable' comedians around, and as for Coogan, he is simply peerless.

Sorry, but I wholly disagree - are you Brydon or Coogan's agent or perhaps fan club organiser?

Quote: Marc P @ 8th April 2014, 11:54 AM BST

We get it gb. He dissed Norwich. Let it go.

What's not to diss?

Quote: gb901 @ 8th April 2014, 11:57 AM BST

Sorry, but I wholly disagree - are you Brydon or Coogan's agent or perhaps fan club organiser?

I think he's right. Take off the emerald glasses and enjoy the show like a fine glass of Barollo.

Quote: gb901 @ 8th April 2014, 11:59 AM BST

What's not to diss?

Norwich is my favourite city. Certainly one of them.

Quote: gb901 @ 8th April 2014, 11:50 AM BST

Methinks you're giving it far too much credit than it's due?

I'm giving it the credit I think it's due. I don't think it's a show to be taken purely on face value.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 9th April 2014, 10:45 PM BST

I don't think it's a show to be taken purely on face value.

Arse value?

Liked it again.

Coogan's Frank Spencer was good but not perfect.

Yep, another good one. I felt this episode delved a bit deeper into what makes the characters tick. Brydon didn't come off as his usual squeeky clean self e.g showing little concern for his sick child, openly flirting with the boat woman and offering an on the wagon Coogan wine. I know that's all part of the story and probably not true to Rob's character but it makes a nice change from Coogan being the swine.

Also, Italy looks stunning. Cool

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ 11th April 2014, 10:43 PM BST

Brydon didn't come off as his usual squeeky clean self

To be fair there was this episode in series one where Brydon unsuccessfully tried to pull this young and pretty woman and embarrassed himself.

I wasn't keen on the repetition of the voices in the first ep, but in the second it was much better. They weren't trying to out-do each other, but trying to entertain each other - rather than talk about what was really on their minds.

Tits.

I actually preferred Episode 2 to the first one, much funnier. One part for me that really stood out was the Michael Winner's memorial service as it was both very touching and funny. There is also some excellent scenary in this new series too!

I've enjoyed both episodes. I could do with far fewer shots of scenery, cooking and attractive locals - I'm sure you can capture a relaxed pace without Tourist Information padding - but I do like the versions of themselves the characters play, and the subtle eddies in their relationship.

Another good episode tonight. One of the good things I love about The Trip is the fact that it is really gentle and slow paced as it is great to wind down to on a Friday night.

So they do much fewer Caine offs and the result is yawn inducing, naval gazing twaddle. Brydon has looked the only one interested during this series, but the more of him I see, the more egotistical and annoying he is. It's now just Brydon in front of a mirror jerking himself off and there's 3 more to go. >_<