All hail the little old ladies of British comedy Page 2

I always enjoyed the scene in Went The Day Well where little old lady Muriel George finishes off a stormtrooper with an axe; a film old enough to have Thora Hird and Patricia Hayes as little young ladies, though it has to be said neither was cast as the romantic interest.

However, yesterday I watched Pimpernel Smith which featured Mary Morris, whom I only remembered as a particularly wizened little old lady, as a glamorous Nazi spy, and very nobby she was too.

Never heard of Mary Morris before but she was quite a looker* although she would be 100 next year. I see she was born in Fiji.

* I mean when she was a lot younger.

Beryl Reid.
Joan Sims.
Hattie Jacques.

How about Denise Coffey? She was always playing strange women because she wasn't a classic beauty.

She's still working-she's on the Shreddies advert.

Rose Hill did a similar thing, she was on last night's Dad's Army.

EDIT: I overheard some little old ladies discussing what Rolf Harris really meant with the two little boys, stuff. It's strange, we expect that sort of stuff from old men, but not old women.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th July 2014, 12:38 AM BST

How about Denise Coffey? She was always playing strange women because she wasn't a classic beauty.

Was a leading light in Do Not Adjust Your Set - very funny lady and held her own against the likes of Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin and David Jason.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 13th July 2014, 8:37 AM BST

Rose Hill did a similar thing, she was on last night's Dad's Army.

Probably best known as Madame Fanny in 'Allo 'Allo!.

Died in 2003 aged 89. :(

Loved Hilda Braid and many others already mentioned.

A few more names:

Liz Smith
Joan Sanderson
Kathy Staff
Hylda Baker
Pauline McLynn (sort of)
Cissie and Ada

Janine Duvitski is among those with the potential.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 30th August 2014, 2:30 PM BST

Pauline McLynn (sort of)

Lol, she would murder you for putting her on the old ladies thread.

Quote: zooo @ 30th August 2014, 2:37 PM BST

Lol, she would murder you for putting her on the old ladies thread.

:D

I know. Plus she's from Sligo so it's a bit of poetic licence all round. Not sure if you have ever heard her being interviewed? She comes across as quite an interesting and likeable person. There was also an item recently on the radio about the Father Ted conventions. They used to take place on "Craggy Island" but there was one in London this year. Back in 2010, Tedfest went to Australia but was shut down by the authorities. I've heard a rumour the police chief there was Irish and took action as he found it offensive.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2010/04/police-spoil-father-ted-fan-party.html

Mollie Sugden should be added even if Mrs Slocombe was in her prime. And the great Google advises Amy Dalby and Joan Cooper played Dolly Godfrey, she of the cucumber sandwiches and upside-down cakes.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 30th August 2014, 2:57 PM BST

:D

I know. Plus she's from Sligo so it's a bit of poetic licence all round. Not sure if you have ever heard her being interviewed? She comes across as quite an interesting and likeable person.

Yes, she seems rather fun. I've never met her but I was in the same room as her once and she was QUITE feisty.
She's in EastEnders now, playing Nasty Nick Cotton's ex wife.

Quote: zooo @ 30th August 2014, 3:31 PM BST

Yes, she seems rather fun. I've never met her but I was in the same room as her once and she was QUITE feisty.

Interesting.

Feisty could well be one of the main characteristics of the little old ladies of British comedy.

It is a part of their delight.

She was famously sacked from Shameless for having an affair with David Thelfall, I believe?

Ewwww!

He only looks like for the show, Lofters.

Actually this reminds me that June Brown is a good comedy character actress.