All hail the little old ladies of British comedy

Katie Johnson (The Lady Killers)

Edie Martin (The Lady Killers - tiny lady with the specs)

Esma Cannon (The Rag Trade and various Carry On Films)

Patricia Hayes (Many films and TV series)

And the best for me is Irene Handl, with her lovely smile and wicked glint in her eye. Much used in British comedy films, and was in her own TV series and spin-off film with Wilfred Pickles - For The Love Of Ada - plus many, many others. Was also Mrs Cravatte in Tony Hancock's The Rebel as his landlady, although why they didn't use Patricia Hayes who played that part in his TV series?

I'd loved to have been there when this happened: - "Remember Irene Handl?" - Of course - the late, great English TV and film actor. "She was doing TV and a young excitable director decided to explain a new way of filming he'd devised. She let him carry on for a while and then said, 'Excuse me, I think you've mistaken me for someone who gives a f**k." Classic!!

Pat Coombes and Peggy Mount

Gawd bless em!

Quote: lofthouse @ 9th March 2014, 11:53 AM GMT

Pat Coombes and Peggy Mount

Gawd bless em!

Not sure you would call Peggy Mount a little old lady, ;) but yes, a wonderful comedy actress, and that voice!! "Sailor Beware!"

And Pat Coombes - loved her too. The one thing that always sticks in my mind with her was she was a regular on The Dick Emery Show, and if you remember he always finished his shows with outtakes, and there was this one where they were together disembarking from a ferry, walking along the dockside, suitcases in hand and the ship sounded its horn.
Quick as a flash Dick Emery shook his trouser leg, saying "Ooh, sorry about that", leaving Pat in hysterics and unable to carry on with her lines. Laughing out loud

Patsy Smart?

Jean Alexander
Thora Hird
Liz Smith

Sarah Millican on a rough day?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 18th April 2014, 8:04 PM BST

Sarah Millican on a rough day?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha HILARIOUS

Thanks, I think...

Alastair Sim !

Whistling nnocently

Vilma Hollingbery's multiple cameos are always memorable.

Doreen Keogh (Mary next door in the Royle Family)
Pat Dunn (Dot, the granny in Hebburn)

Hilda Braid

That voice!

Edna Doré.

nice one

Doris Hare