BBC Three getting axed Page 5

I loved Nozin Around, but it was never the same after Janet Street Porter had Normski killed.

A shame this is happening. Hopefully there will be enough of a backlash to save BBC Three. Far more on there worth watching than BBC Two.

Quote: Jowan Mounsey @ 6th March 2014, 6:02 PM GMT

Seems reasonable to me, I never liked any shows it produced, especially of recent eg Bad Education and Gavin & Stacey. And it makes sense to make it online only as the vast majority of the demographic who watch BBC 3, watch it on demand.

Factually incorrect. According to the BBC themselves, only 4% of current BBC Three viewing is via iPlayer.

In case maths is not someone's strong point, that leaves a whopping 96% of the channel's audience who'll be robbed of the station if these plans are given the go-ahead.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th March 2014, 5:10 PM GMT

What I find most fascinating is the general lack of outrage over it going away forever moving online.

Also factually questionable. I'm guessing you're not a fan of the internet yourself?

One petition alone - http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/to-the-bbc-trust-save-bbc3 - is nearing the 100,000 signatures mark after less than 36 hours, whilst Twitter has been far from silent in its disapproval of the plan.

Quote: Aaron @ 6th March 2014, 7:31 PM GMT

One petition alone - http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/to-the-bbc-trust-save-bbc3 - is nearing the 100,000 signatures mark after less than 36 hours, whilst Twitter has been far from silent in its disapproval of the plan.

People sign e-petitions the way I fart - constantly and without thinking and both are just stinky hot air. From the figures, the e-petition is now BBC3's fifth highest rated programme.

I do feel sorry for Jack Whitehall's agent, who must be getting hand cramp from making up so many fake names on the Internet.

Quote: Aaron @ 6th March 2014, 7:31 PM GMT

I'm guessing you're not a fan of the internet yourself?

The what?

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th March 2014, 8:04 PM GMT

People sign e-petitions the way I fart - constantly and without thinking and both are just stinky hot air. From the figures, the e-petition is now BBC3's fifth highest rated programme.

I do feel sorry for Jack Whitehall's agent, who must be getting hand cramp from making up so many fake names on the Internet.

The what?

You miserable curmudgeon!
(laughs immoderately)

Quote: beaky @ 6th March 2014, 8:10 PM GMT

You miserable curmudgeon!
(laughs immoderately)

:D

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th March 2014, 8:04 PM GMT

Maybe not, Whitehall is starring in an American remake of his BBC 3 sitcom.

A lot of blinkered thinking on here. I can't remember the last time I watched BBC Three but I'm reasonably sure that if you reduce your programming output and what you have left is on mainstream channels then it isn't good news for new talent and innovation. I might not watch it but I'm glad it's there. Now it won't be.

Quote: Badge @ 6th March 2014, 8:33 PM GMT

A lot of blinkered thinking on here. I can't remember the last time I watched BBC Three but I'm reasonably sure that if you reduce your programming output and what you have left is on mainstream channels then it isn't good news for new talent and innovation. I might not watch it but I'm glad it's there. Now it won't be.

It's certainly really bad news for new writers and performers.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 6th March 2014, 8:35 PM GMT

It's certainly really bad news for new writers and performers.

Can't comment on the performers, but almost every sitcom on BBC3 in the last few years was written by someone with a list of credits a mile long.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/channel/bbc3/

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 6th March 2014, 8:33 PM GMT

Maybe not, Whitehall is starring in an American remake of his BBC 3 sitcom.

It's bound to be brilliant.

I haven't read back too far but has anyone mentioned tonight's schedule on BBC3?

7.00 - 8.00. Don't Tell The Bride - weddings arranged by husbands without their wives knowledge.

8.00 - 9.00. Hair - the remaining contestants in a hairdressing competition must incorporate plaits and braids.

9.00 - 10.00. Junior Paramedics - pressure steps up a the junior paramedics deal with their most testing cases yet.

10.00 - 11.00. Bluestone 32 - a comedy drama about a bomb disposal team in Afghanistan.

Then Family Guy followed by two episodes of American Dad.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 6th March 2014, 8:44 PM GMT

Can't comment on the performers, but almost every sitcom on BBC3 in the last few years was written by someone with a list of credits a mile long.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/channel/bbc3/

Fewer available slots means fewer chances, though. That's bad for all levels of writers, but clearly those with less experience are going to find it tougher than those with plenty.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 6th March 2014, 8:47 PM GMT

I haven't read back too far but has anyone mentioned tonight's schedule on BBC3?

7.00 - 8.00. Don't Tell The Bride - weddings arranged by husbands without their wives knowledge.

8.00 - 9.00. Hair - the remaining contestants in a hairdressing competition must incorporate plaits and braids.

9.00 - 10.00. Junior Paramedics - pressure steps up a the junior paramedics deal with their most testing cases yet.

10.00 - 11.00. Bluestone 32 - a comedy drama about a bomb disposal team in Afghanistan.

Then Family Guy followed by two episodes of American Dad.

To be fair, all the BBC channels are topped up with shite tonight. Ooh fat Geordies drip sweat in a wok and Nick Knowles looks at builder's arses - quality stuff.

Makes the second season premier of Hannibal look amateurish in comparison.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 6th March 2014, 8:52 PM GMT

Fewer available slots means fewer chances

Dirty nepotism means fewer chances. The number of slots are irrelevant.

What's wrong with Bluestone 42?

I've slated BBC 3 & much of its output over the years, but this is not a good day for comedy. This move is effectively cutting the BBC's comedy output, reducing the opportunities for fresh writers and new ideas and reducing the budgets for the shows which do manage to secure (the reduced) slots.

Giving an extra £30 million to BBC One drama, as things stand, seems like throwing good money after bad.

A shitty day for British comedy & the BBC's standing.