BBC Three getting axed Page 3

Smoking Room, Mighty Boosh, Cyderdelic, 15 Storeys High, Nighty Night, I'm With Stupid, Uncle.

Some great sitcoms there, but that's about all the best bits from more than 10 years.

"Our War" was a superb documentary series about troops on the frontline in Afghanistan, it always seemed a bit out of place on BBC3 though, if I'm honest.

The BBC Press Office has released more information. Subject to approval by the BBC Trust, BBC Three will stop becoming a TV channel in autumn 2015. They claim that the plans will mean:

* The BBC saving over £50 million a year.
* £30 million of that going into drama on BBC One.
* BBC Three being reinvented as a new and innovative online service.
* The freed-up spectrum being used to extend CBBC by an hour a night and to provide a BBC1 +1 service.

If that 30 million quid goes into putting Moffett on a rocket into space, then its money well spent.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 6th March 2014, 11:04 AM GMT

a BBC1 +1 service.

Ooh, finally.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ 6th March 2014, 11:04 AM GMT

provide a BBC1 +1 service.

You mean single people will be barred from watching BBC1

Quote: sootyj @ 6th March 2014, 11:05 AM GMT

If that 30 million quid goes into putting Moffett on a rocket into space, then its money well spent.

I think very much the opposite will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if that £30million would be going mainly on Doctor Who and Sherlock.

Mind you the money could be going to comedy drama. It might mean more money going to shows like Jonathan Creek or Last Tango In Halifax.

Thanks Ian you just ruined my day.

I'd rather they spent the money on a batter based mucky movie featuring the cast of Bake Off.

Quote: sootyj @ 6th March 2014, 11:16 AM GMT

Thanks Ian you just ruined my day.

It's what I do.

I wonder if you'll still be able to get it on the TV through iPlayer?

Quote: Nil Putters @ 6th March 2014, 11:21 AM GMT

I wonder if you'll still be able to get it on the TV through iPlayer?

I imagine you will be able to. It would seem daft to block it off.

That wouldn't be as bad, I could cope with that.

The +1 channel thing is one of the best inventions of modern TV, it's very useful if you're a bit slow getting to the show you want. Why the Beeb are so slow in picking this up is another mystery. I agree with the moving of BBC Three, it's not really axing is it, it's going to live online where all the young yoofies are.

BBC is still a great brand, but isn't going to be forever the way it's being run now. They'd make billions if they sold it to a private consortium to run on a proper commercial TV basis with the PB thing set in stone still. They could even ensure BBC One would remain advert free for the die hards. It's bound to happen, at the mo the Beeb is creatively stagnant, too expensive to run, and mainly used as source of great income and pensions by the top execs and as a free lunch and social club for the so called creatives, who do not create so much as just churn out slightly different specs of kitform shows. Sell the Beeb and quickly.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point that whatever you think of BBC Three this decision means fewer new programme slots. Current BBC Three successes might transfer to other channels but future ones won't get the chance because they won't be made in the first place.

Quote: Badge @ 6th March 2014, 11:51 AM GMT

A lot of people seem to be missing the point that whatever you think of BBC Three this decision means fewer new programme slots. Current BBC Three successes might transfer to other channels but future ones won't get the chance because they won't be made in the first place.

But hasn't BBC Three recently been piloting new comedy projects online first for some time anyway? You could argue that because they don't need to worry about scheduling you could put more comedy pilots online than on TV. The issue is how many people would be will to watch a pilot online rather than on the box. Can you persuade more people to watch stuff onine?