Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 3 Page 9

tonight's episode (3) was brilliant

Loved Chris Morris making himself laugh.

You could tell the bit where the bloke walked out to got to the toilet was a setup...

Best episode of the series

Yes, I agree, 10 times better than last week - much much funnier and with a more interesting political edge, too.

Also liked The MErton parkas, a joke only for him. It's like when I watch to spot a Fall lyric (last series it was "Prawns on Easter Sunday, Jesus Christ in reverse", which made me laugh, if not the majority of viewers).

I concur, much funnier and entertaining than the previous episode. I thought he started very strongly, with a flurry of brilliant observations and funny gags.

But then it all started to break down for me, the rhythm went awry and I found myself zoning out over the wildlife presenter material and Lee's constant repetition. It then kind of petered out towards the end, a spluttering stop and not the climatic crescendo I was expecting.

Chris Morris having a slight corpse moment during the interview is not what I would label as 'brilliant'. I'm not sure why people enjoyed that bit so much.

And the middle class, faux decorum over the pronunciation of Anusol really wound me up - it's Anus-sol, not A-new-sol. How someone who has no problems saying f**k, shit, twat, etc. can get all prudish over saying anus is beyond me. I can only surmise that this is a product Lee himself uses and must ask for at the Chemists, hence the bizarre, Keeping Up Appearances, Victorian nanny, prissy gentility in referring to it. I bet the tosser also says Er-ru-nus instead of Uranus, the tosser.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 16th March 2014, 1:46 PM GMT

But then it all started to breakdown for me, the rhythm went awry and I found myself zoning out. It then kind of petered out towards the end, a spluttering stop and not the climatic crescendo I was expecting.

I don't see how your disappointing sex life is at all relevant

I love a corpse.

Quote: zooo @ 16th March 2014, 4:25 PM GMT

I love a corpse.

Zombie fetishist poser

Quote: lofthouse @ 16th March 2014, 3:00 PM GMT

I don't see how your disappointing sex life is at all relevant

Relevant? It fills my waking hours. Why do you think I'm on a comedy forum dissecting the pronunciation of Anusol by an over the hill stand up?

Quote: zooo @ 16th March 2014, 4:25 PM GMT

I love a corpse.

That's also the excuse for my disappointing sex life. Especially now the hot weather is back.

:D

Thought this was a far stronger, funnier episode this week - suggesting the last episode was just a bit of a blip.

Yes, it didn't have a massively coherent theme to the set, but it produced a lot of laughs.

That said, I do hope there is a "killer" routine still to come in this series. Stew sets the bar for himself (and others) very high, but I'm still waiting for one of his perfectly-constructed routines (e.g. the Joe Pasquale bit - albeit not from one of the 3-hours-to-fill Comedy Vehicle series) to appear.

Agree.
Much better this week.

Don't like to see Chris break his usual deadpan though
Doesn't seem right

Well I thought this week was a return to form after the first two weeks had been disappointing with too many routines he's done for years (e.g. the telephone call) and a ell-worn bit about immigration (that aired in pretty much the same format in series 1 of TSWYW).

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 17th March 2014, 12:35 AM GMT

The JFK sight gag, outrageously good. I expect he'll be hammered for it in some quarters.

I'm sure it was just fake gore and a drugged rat.