Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 3 Page 7

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th March 2014, 2:07 PM GMT

What is more depressing is that liberal stand ups are using UKIP as a license to tell racist, homophobic and xenophobic jokes. It's a lazy way of telling un-PC gags and putting the blame on someone else.

Examples? Or are these the usual ones from inside your head?

Quote: Badge @ 12th March 2014, 2:34 PM GMT

Examples? Or are these the usual ones from inside your head?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576200/Farage-suffer-sense-humour-failure-comedy-duo-launch-The-Stop-Ukip-Tour.html

Took a three second Google search. There's probably loads more I could cite, including a whole plethora of panel shows, fringe comedians and numerous online humour sites including a fake UKIP Twitter account.

Oh and Stewart Lee of course. There's a pretty good example.

The routine Lee did which lampooned the 'coming over here' rhetoric by looking back further and further into history failed to recognise that at certain points, it was the ancestors of us who were 'coming over here', and the people who were here at the time, like the Neanderthals, have disappeared. If he chooses to bring up such examples from the past, then he is making the case that we are genuinely threatened by mass immigration.

Also, the point about skilled workers being needed by their home countries is a genuine convern. Our NHS benefits from reciving skilled workers who were trained overseas at the expense of those countries; our gain is their loss. Just because Nuttal might be using such arguments to shore up his own questionable viewpoint does not alter the truth of those facts.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th March 2014, 2:07 PM GMT

Now I have to go, Joe Pasquale is in my garden.

Jeremy Clarkson's kids are in mine. Not their fault, though. I've no front fence, and they stumbled off the path while walking along with their dark glasses and white sticks.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 12th March 2014, 2:58 PM GMT

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2576200/Farage-suffer-sense-humour-failure-comedy-duo-launch-The-Stop-Ukip-Tour.html

Took a three second Google search. There's probably loads more I could cite, including a whole plethora of panel shows, fringe comedians and numerous online humour sites including a fake UKIP Twitter account.

Oh and Stewart Lee of course. There's a pretty good example.

Firstly, it looks like you have Googled after you made your sweeping statement and are now scrabbling around to try to back it up.

Secondly, there's nothing in that article to suggest the act is engaging in racist, homophobic or xenophobic routines, cloaked in UKIP bashing or otherwise. Nor is there any evidence they are left wingers. They don't like UKIP, granted, but lots of different people have different reasons for disliking UKIP.

I do love "there's probably a load more I could cite". Good evidence base, that.

Really Mr Carpark, if you want to wind yourself up do so, but don't pretend you are reacting to real things.

Quote: Badge @ 12th March 2014, 3:50 PM GMT

Firstly, it looks like you have Googled after you made your sweeping statement and are now scrabbling around to try to back it up.

I made an informed guess and I was right, now I have to scrabble round to find evidence because of your wilful ignorance and insistence that I provide proof for every single one of my statements. Regardless -

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/tag/ukip/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6_3RHwwW28

There is proof that backs up my quite correct assertion, you must now withdraw your comments that I'm just making shit up. If you don't then you're a hypocrite.

Or you can claim that the proof I gave you wasn't proof, even though it is and retract to a position of wilful ignorance once again. Hey, if you can't attack the argument, why not attack the person making the argument? It is the BCG way.

Hey, what if you get found out again, why not end by constructing another straw man argument?

This is all off topic of course. Stewart Lee's excellent routine was not actually about UKIP, it just used the remarks of UKIP's deputy leader as the starting point for a wonderfully comedic routine using language in a rich and creative way. It's rarely all about what's being said, but how it's being said.

I thought the routine was a bit rubbish
Not one of his funniest, not even close

Quote: Badge @ 12th March 2014, 4:43 PM GMT

it just used the remarks of UKIP's deputy leader as the starting point for a wonderfully comedic routine using language in a rich and creative way. It's rarely all about what's being said, but how it's being said.

I will agree with you 100% about that. And in all honesty, I'd rather hear a media lefty like Stewart Lee talk about UKIP then terminally unfunny / unoriginal comedians like Andy Parsons or Mark Steel.

The occupy radio 4 movement is going strong

Quote: Badge @ 12th March 2014, 4:43 PM GMT

This is all off topic of course. Stewart Lee's excellent routine was not actually about UKIP, it just used the remarks of UKIP's deputy leader as the starting point for a wonderfully comedic routine using language in a rich and creative way. It's rarely all about what's being said, but how it's being said.

A salient point.

I've always found Stewart Lee a master of exploiting a little nugget of hypocrisy for all its comedic worth. He did it wonderfully here.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 12th March 2014, 4:55 PM GMT

I thought the routine was a bit rubbish
Not one of his funniest, not even close

This.

The best bit was the "not in this audience" line.

The ancestors/immigration "coming over here" routine has been done before. It was in the last series of The Show What You Wrote, and I doubt that was the first time it was ever done.

A preview clip of this Saturday coming's show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ymj8d

Quote: Phoenix Lazarus @ 13th March 2014, 2:40 PM GMT

A preview clip of this Saturday coming's show.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03ymj8d

Yay! Good stuff. :D