Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - Series 3 Page 10

That's why I tune in, for the topical comedy, all the kids, they love JFK, you know, the kids, with their JFK. Walking around, with their boxes of JFK, dropping chips and chicken bones on the ground.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 18th March 2014, 10:41 PM GMT

That's why I tune in, for the topical comedy, all the kids, they love JFK, you know, the kids, with their JFK. Walking around, with their boxes of JFK, dropping chips and chicken bones on the ground.

I'd see them shot. Bloody JFK obsessed kids.

Funny this week, if a tiny bit uncentred, didn't have the structure of his best routines, but did make me laugh.

Oddly, one minute in he effectively did the same joke that I wrote parodying Lee's style in the letters page of the programme we used to give out at the music events I organise. For those of you who weren't at Gappy Tooth Industries in Oxford in August, here's that bit:

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never judge a book by its cover". It proved an unpopular opening gambit for his keynote speech at the national conference of illustrators, designers and marketing executives from the publishing industry.

Yours, Stewart Lee

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never judge a book by its cover". It proved an unpopular winner in the "Come up with an original idiomatic expression" competition.

Yours, Stewart Lee

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never judge a book by its cover". It proved an unpopular comment to make to the British Association Of Blind & Sight Impaired Illiterates".

Yours, Stewart Lee

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never nudge a rook by its coven". It proved to be a typographical error.

Yours, Stalwart Eel.

I'm with Gappy in that it wasn't as structured as previous episodes, but still very funny.

Quote: gappy @ 23rd March 2014, 1:43 PM GMT

Funny this week, if a tiny bit uncentred, didn't have the structure of his best routines, but did make me laugh.

Oddly, one minute in he effectively did the same joke that I wrote parodying Lee's style in the letters page of the programme we used to give out at the music events I organise. For those of you who weren't at Gappy Tooth Industries in Oxford in August, here's that bit:

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never judge a book by its cover". It proved an unpopular opening gambit for his keynote speech at the national conference of illustrators, designers and marketing executives from the publishing industry.

Yours, Stewart Lee

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never judge a book by its cover". It proved an unpopular winner in the "Come up with an original idiomatic expression" competition.

Yours, Stewart Lee

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never judge a book by its cover". It proved an unpopular comment to make to the British Association Of Blind & Sight Impaired Illiterates".

Yours, Stewart Lee

Dear Clive

My father said, "Never nudge a rook by its coven". It proved to be a typographical error.

Yours, Stalwart Eel.

That joke first appeared on his Carpet Remnant World tour I think, or earlier than that. I had certainly see him do it before. So if you did yours last August then it wouldn't have come across as a parody.

I liked last night's routine. I laughed a lot.

Sorry, my error, it was August 2011 we did it, not last August (time flies, eh?). Anyway, it's quite an obvious joke, really, I'd be surprised if nobody had done it before that, so I'm not claiming he nicked it off me or anything like that. :)

All good, but not sure about his Jimmy Carr bit, far too long, and unworthy of being in the ending sketch.

I really enjoyed the imaginary wives stuff - in fact I was surprised that he dumped that line of thought so early on, it could have ran and ran. Similarly, I laughed a great deal at the Loch Ness material, particularly the build up: 'I may not know anything about geology, zoology, cryptozoology but I think...', which has a lot of resonance with how most people pontificate on any given subject that they have no first hand or professional experience of.

He also had a pop at Roy Chubby Brown, Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr, which always makes me wonder if Lee genuinely suffers from professional jealousy towards other comedians, if it's all a lie for our entertainment or if after a panel show, they all kick shit out of each other. Obviously I'm hoping it's the latter rather than* the former.

As others have pointed out, his set did suffer thematically with a hodge podge of gags rather then a coherent narrative, but you know, he's a jokey man off da telly, so not that angry about it.

*this than is sponsored by Aaron and the BCG. Every time I use the correct word as an expression of introducing an exception or contrast, Aaron donates one of his many, many breasts to cancer research.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 25th March 2014, 12:12 AM GMT

He also had a pop at Roy Chubby Brown, Ricky Gervais and Jimmy Carr, which always makes me wonder if Lee genuinely suffers from professional jealousy towards other comedians (...)

Yeah, enjoyed the Gervais dig obviously, but he seems seriously bitter. Frankie Boyle attacks other comedians on a regular basis, but is much more nihilistic than Lee and also you feel he doesn't mean it, just wants to be an arsehole about others.

Lee gives the impression of really despising Carr et al.

Gervais provided a quote for the front of one of Lee's DVDs, so I think it's a just part of the act rather than bitterness. I'd be interested to hear how the targets feel about it though.

I can't imagine Lee doesn't feel his comedy is a lot cleverer than most of those comics. I'd allow him that.

Quote: Ben @ 25th March 2014, 6:58 AM GMT

Gervais provided a quote for the front of one of Lee's DVDs, so I think it's a just part of the act

Though Stewart has been vocal over Gervais' portrayal of a tard in Derek. It must be a fine line for Lee, who is both a comedian and a Guardian columnist.

We have found ourselves in yet another ironical quagmire as Lee angrily chides the press for misquoting and unfairly criticising his comedy and yet there he is, doing the same thing in his newspaper column.

Quote: Ben @ 25th March 2014, 6:58 AM GMT

Gervais provided a quote for the front of one of Lee's DVDs, so I think it's a just part of the act rather than bitterness. I'd be interested to hear how the targets feel about it though.

He's said before that he's partially playing a character on stage, and that character would be jealous of those sort of people and think he deserves success more than they do.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 25th March 2014, 12:12 AM GMT

I really enjoyed the imaginary wives stuff - in fact I was surprised that he dumped that line of thought so early on, it could have ran and ran.

I saw him do (ie read!) this at a warm-up where he said that he'd just written it the Tuesday before (it was Saturday) and performed it that night, where it went down poorly. So he rewrote it on Wednesday and, if anything, it went down worse.

Anyway, the wives thing did go on and on quite a bit during that warm-up from what I recall and there were a lot of good callbacks to it during the 40 minutes or so he did it, so yes, he appears to have cut it right back for the last show.

Dan

I've decided to copy you lot and do a full in depth analysis of tonight's episode

I've gone through each sentence with a fine toothed comb and tried to understand all hidden meanings and symbolism and decipher what the real meanings are of his blah blahh blaaaaaaaaaaaa

Then I thought nah that's boring

Tonight's show :

Dead funny that were