Doll & Em

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/doll_and_em/

It sounds OK and I will watch it. How about you?

I will give it a try. It doesn't look hilarious but I like both actresses and I think it's a shame it will probably be watched by about 12 people on Living.

Yes, I will be watching it tomorrow too but doubt that it will be that funny. I have liked Dolly Wells in other stuff though.

I thought Episode 1 was utter trash. The story was just neither here nor there, no laughs to it and quite a lot of shaky camera work? Awful stuff.

It will be interesting to see what it's like when there's more than the two of them. You can't help compare it to The Trip but one of the great things with that is that Steve Coogan (the Hollywood one) has had a very public private life. So you have a handle on his character straight away. Whilst Emily Mortimer, I know nothing about privately so I'm not sure what playing herself brings to it.

Will watch ep 2.

This is promising stuff. Nicely written and acted with a realistic note to the proceedings. Some genuinely hilarious moments such as Emm being locked out of her home in a bikini for 12 hours. And it does it all without gurning and laugh track manipulation. How is it that such good quality shows only get a few hundered thousand watching and yet infantile BBC sitcoms reach millions? Guess you can take a horse to water.

Quote: maxine @ 1st March 2014, 11:29 PM GMT

How is it that such good quality shows only get a few hundered thousand watching and yet infantile BBC sitcoms reach millions?

Sorry, are you really asking why shows that are free (or thereabouts) to all are watched by more people than shows that require a subscription?

For all you know half of the people watching Mrs. Brown's Boys might be sat there thinking, "What a load of shite, wish I had Sky so I could be watching that Doll & Em instead"...

I only watched Episode 2 tonight. I don't get the story so far.

I watched the 1st half of the 1st episode & switched over at the break. I figured that if I hadn't laughed once, not once, during the 1st part, I wasn't wasting any more time on it. Harsh maybe but there you go.

Regardless of what I thought of the actual show, I was left utterly perplexed by Jack Seale's previews of the first two episodes in the Radio Times. His preview of episode one said 'You might not laugh much, but it's thrilling to see a comedy that knows exactly what it's doing so precisely.' Am I missing something? Is he taking the piss? How can a comedy know exactly what it's doing if it's not making you laugh much?

He surpassed himself for episode two, 'The second instalment of this excellent no-frills, NO-LAUGHS comedy...'. What? Surely such a thing is either, at worst, a failed comedy or, let's be generous, drama-by-default, isn't it?

I might send that in to the Radio Times actually. Oooh, get me, Mr Angry!

I've only just discovered Dolly Wells via Dracula and realise I haven't seen this because I haven't got Sky and refuse to pay for more channels I probably won't watch. I see that she is the daughter of John Wells and have never to my knowledge seen her in anything else.

Quote: Chappers @ 4th January 2020, 8:00 AM

I've only just discovered Dolly Wells via Dracula and realise I haven't seen this because I haven't got Sky and refuse to pay for more channels I probably won't watch. I see that she is the daughter of John Wells and have never to my knowledge seen her in anything else.

I did the same and watched episode 1 of this. It just sort of unfolded, a loss of scenes in search of a plot, certainly no laughs. Will try episode 2 to see if it gets better.

Emily Mortimer was good in this. It was understated but effective when it needed to be, and she played a difficult role well.