No all-male panel BBC shows Page 9

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 11th February 2014, 12:24 PM GMT

Wondering how long it is til you don a dress and 'Tonya Cowards' appears on that list...
:D

Why not Jeff Capes has been masquerading as Miranda Hart for years.

Apologies I think she's very attractive and I'm just not good enough for her.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 11th February 2014, 12:24 PM GMT

On a side note: someone posted yesterday about the different types of comedians making the mix of a panel show, and it occurred to me that I can't immediately bring to mind any female one liner merchants... I'm sure there's probably plenty, but my memory fails me. Any names come to mind?

There are a handful (although, helpfully, I can't think of them off the top of my head) but it's very rare for female comics to just do one-liners, if they do them generally they are mixed in with longer bits of material.

Quote: Nogget @ 9th February 2014, 12:33 PM GMT

Panel shows such as QI and Mock the Week will no longer have all-male line-ups, the BBC's director of TV has said.

Here's something interesting I've found in a document on the University of Bolton's website regarding UK recruitment law.
(www.bolton.ac.uk/Diversity/Documents/FAQEmpLaw.doc)

You will probably have heard of cases where it has been suggested that minimum levels or quotas of people from certain groups should be employed: for example that a firm should have at least 50% female employees or that at least 3% should be people with disabilities. Quotas of this kind are illegal in the UK.

Can anybody confirm that this is still the case and if so is this new BBC policy technically illegal?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 11th February 2014, 10:18 AM GMT

RC, I'm sure even the BBC can find some funny people out of this lot, http://www.comedycv.co.uk/female-comedians.htm

It's not a question of finding funny women, it's finding funny women who fit into the panel show format. All of this talk about getting rid of panel shows once and for all is very inspiring but the fact is, we've got at least another year's worth of these shows popping up on the television - now with new and improved added vagina absolutely free.

Because I am magical cyborg from the future, I envision the following headline in six month's time, 'Viewers Shocked By Sexist Bullying On Panel Show' - Female comic Nancy Nobody was in tears last night after three male comedians subjected her to a tirade of abuse on popular comedy panel show 'Mum And Dad Were Right'. The BBC received 1300 complaints about the on air barrage of hate and will now sack everyone and draw up new guidelines on niceness. Russell Trousers, regular panellist and winner of the Eton College Comedy Festival is perplexed adding: 'When it was an all male panel show, we'd rip on each other constantly and the audience loved it. Now I'm going to lose my job and won't be able to afford hair care products and ironic t-shirts'. Nancy will be consulting lawyers over the unprovoked assault and will be seeking damages against the corporation over 'unnecessary emotional trauma and ear rape'.

Like it or not, we do live in a world of sexist double standards, where it's okay to make fun of Wayne Rooney or Eric Pickles over their appearance, but say anything critical about Rebecca Adlington and you're worse then Satan and out of a job.

Quote: sootyj @ 11th February 2014, 8:55 AM GMT

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2014/feb/10/all-male-comedy-panel-shows-wont-be-missed

Is this supposed to be journalism? Did Mr. Stuart Heritage get paid actual money to write this poor excuse for a blog entry?

All-male comedy panel shows won't be missed
Says you Mr. Heritage. That is a value judgement, not a fact.

However, even if Danny Cohen's decree means Mock The Week is no longer allowed to be a ferocious willy-waving competition...
I have been watching Mock the Week for several years and personally I'm disappointed I missed that round.

Stop picking the same guests... David Mitchell, David Mitchell, David Mitchell and a mannequin of David Mitchell wearing a hat made of photos of David Mitchell that has "I am David Mitchell" written on it.
Experimenting with sarcasm are we Guardian? And I like David Mitchell so screw you.

Let the women actually talk
They're more than capable of speaking up for themselves you sexiest pig.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 11th February 2014, 9:03 AM GMT

On the upside, you get your 'I argued With RC' badge. We all get one eventually. Zooo has a box room full of them. Can't reach anything on that bookcase at the back.

:D

Quote: beaky @ 11th February 2014, 9:54 AM GMT

I've done a cartoon about this, it'll be in Saturday's Independent.
I'm one poster who won't be getting into an argument with RC. Some of his more outrageous comments make me see red - although I'm sure lots of them are just trolling - but his is a genuine dissenting voice, plus the bastard's funny.

I will look out for your cartoon on Saturday. :)

RC, lots of female comics are perfectly capable of dealing with all sorts of audiences and rooms on the live comedy circuit, I don't see why you think some of them won't be able to adapt to the panel show format?

I think the thing is that you probably haven't seen who the BBC should be sticking on TV next.
Because by definition they're not there yet.

Quote: Elliott Gill @ 11th February 2014, 1:17 PM GMT

Is this new BBC policy technically illegal?

No. It's a casting brief.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 11th February 2014, 3:32 PM GMT

RC, lots of female comics are perfectly capable of dealing with all sorts of audiences and rooms on the live comedy circuit, I don't see why you think some of them won't be able to adapt to the panel show format?

I'm sure some of them will eventually, but on the evidence so far and based largely (and unfairly) on Holly Walsh, it's a Hobson's Choice of talent. These measures are being implemented now, today, not in three years time when the new wave of comedians have matured and refined.

As much as I want to believe that commissioners and producers are cigar chomping, middle aged fat men who spend their lunch breaks in strip clubs, the reality is that there are plenty of women involved in the creation of panel shows including booking the talent. There is no sexist conspiracy keeping female comics from appearing as guests. It's a matter of entertainment, suitability and supply and demand.

If people want to indulge their white knight fantasies and portray me as some sort of woman hating bad guy, then more power to them. To me this argument isn't about 'eurgh, girls smell of poo and wee and are rubbish', it's about an ill thought out policy on gender representation, tokenism and PC pandering that will ensure an opposite outcome to it's well meaning intentions. And all the while, it's us, the viewer that suffers.

Perhaps if the BBC (and others) didn't only book acts, male and female, who are signed to the two biggest comedy agencies there might be a bit more variety in the line ups?

From Saturday's Independent.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 11th February 2014, 4:23 PM GMT

No. It's a casting brief.

Indeed. And I can't see any real argument that male comedians are disadvantaged by a measure that seeks to achieve at least one female member for each show.

Like so many other forms of occupational segregation (with a gender gap) creating a pipeline for talent to be encouraged to grow into is a vital tool to redress balance.

Alison she use long words good.

Casting briefs, you mean the stars underwear has to audition as well.

The world of radio is truly magical.