No all-male panel BBC shows Page 8

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 11th February 2014, 1:12 AM GMT

The only conclusions I have about your gist, I have already stated. So, it's not about Oxbridge, or tight trousers, or haircuts - it's about posh people?

And thankfully we're back to quotas. I have witnessed many a panel show where the entire line up were all 'posh' comedians. Considering the RP accent is only spoken by 5% of the population, this flies in the face of an inclusionist broadcaster like the BBC.

If I campaigned that a 'working class' stand up should be included in every panel show, would it make that panel show any better? Or would it just be an act of pointless tokenism?

Similarly, comedians such as Russell Kane, Russell Howard and Jack Whitehall are chosen more for their eye candy appeal and demographic appeal then their actual comedy skills. They've already become the token comedian on panel shows and their contributions are mostly worthless.

Affirmative action policies are already in place, they're just targeting different groups and lacklustre entertainment has resulted. Let's choose people based on their abilities to perform in a panel show format first and then worry about their gender / background / etc.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 9th February 2014, 10:22 PM GMT

I think there should be a female regular on Mock The Week, certainly.

Where a show like WILTY seems to be taking positive steps to feature women (certainly compared to other shows of its ilk), I don't see why well-received parts of that show should be replaced. But I can certainly see why claiming that's what's going on would suit some people.

Who do you have in mind as a regular female panellist (for MTW)? Presumably it'd be someone that's been on the show previously, and of those featured in the last series, I'm not sure if any of Katherine Ryan, Holly Walsh or Ava Vidal would be good enough to take on that role permanently.

Andi Osho was pretty funny in her previous appearances (and for the BBC and their proposed quota over quality system, they could cover the ethnic minority angle at the same time).

There's no problem in there being more variety on panel shows and sketch shows, but it should be done on quality rather than just to tick a box... I feel sorry for the ladies that appear on the next wave of such shows, as there will be a general feeling among many that they're only there because they are female - and not because they were seem as funny enough to force their way through the glass ceiling (as Vidal, Walsh, Yashere, Osho, Ryan etc have done).

It's a shame - I'm sure it was done with the best intentions, but publicising this as they did just doesn't help - it should've been enough for the BBC to actively be looking at the brightest new female/minority comics on the circuit (as well as men), and give them a chance for example live at the Apollo and see how they go, and then see if they fit with MTW or any of their panel shows - without making a song and dance about it, just to look good for the public.

Of course on WILTY you don't have to be a comic, so there's a lot more scope on there for a wider range of women who have a profile already elsewhere (e.g. Meaden).

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 11th February 2014, 1:12 AM GMT

What's your real name?

If I ain't telling the tax man, I ain't telling you.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 11th February 2014, 1:25 AM GMT

And thankfully we're back to quotas. I have witnessed many a panel show where the entire line up were all 'posh' comedians. Considering the RP accent is only spoken by 5% of the population, this flies in the face of an inclusionist broadcaster like the BBC.

If I campaigned that a 'working class' stand up should be included in every panel show, would it make that panel show any better? Or would it just be an act of pointless tokenism?

Similarly, comedians such as Russell Kane, Russell Howard and Jack Whitehall are chosen more for their eye candy appeal and demographic appeal then their actual comedy skills. They've already become the token comedian on panel shows and their contributions are mostly worthless.

Affirmative action policies are already in place, they're just targeting different groups and lacklustre entertainment has resulted. Let's choose people based on their abilities to perform in a panel show format first and then worry about their gender / background / etc.

There are f**kloads of working class comics on panel shows.

Similarly, I'm often struck by the RP accent of Edinburgh Comedy Award-winning eye candy Russell Kane.

Quote: sheff71 @ 11th February 2014, 1:25 AM GMT

Who do you have in mind as a regular female panellist (for MTW)?

The cash situation is a bit different for a regular. Sarah? She may be a bit too posh and Oxbridge for RC, though.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 11th February 2014, 1:31 AM GMT

Maybe tings'll change and TV broadens its horizons for looking for new comedic talent for panel shows, by scouring the internet forums and YouTube.

So René, that sole joke you wrote that you've been saving, maybe soon is the time?

That sole joke is bringing in enough for him to file a separate tax return. Don't be too sure.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 11th February 2014, 1:31 AM GMT

Similarly, I'm often struck by the RP accent of Edinburgh Comedy Award-winning eye candy Russell Kane.

Then you must have loved Bridget Christie - wife of Stewart Lee who only garnered three star reviews for her shows - for she too was an Edinburgh Comedy Award winner. It's funny how comedy is so subjective.

I saw about 40 shows at Edinburgh last year, including Bridget's. Nothing wrong with that decision.

But I can understand that if you hate women, and believe everything in comedy that doesn't benefit you is the result of a conspiracy, then it must look quite suspect.

Bridget also does not speak with an RP accent.

(100 posts! Woo! I'm supposed to be moving house...)

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 11th February 2014, 1:39 AM GMT

But I can understand that if you hate women, and believe everything in comedy that doesn't benefit you is the result of a conspiracy, then it must look quite suspect.

Yay, you pulled out the misogyny card - I win £5! Want to go for the triple crown and throw in rapist or Islamic fundamentalist? Or perhaps go for the top prize and liken me to Hitler? I'm pretty sure I'm a racist as well, I mean I'm bound to be, look at my other views.

How I love the Internet.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 11th February 2014, 1:39 AM GMT

(100 posts! Woo! I'm supposed to be moving house...)

Congrats. :)

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 11th February 2014, 1:44 AM GMT

Yay, you pulled out the misogyny card - I win £5! Want to go for the triple crown and throw in rapist or Islamic fundamentalist? Or perhaps go for the top prize and liken me to Hitler? I'm pretty sure I'm a racist as well, I mean I'm bound to be, look at my other views.

How I love the Internet.

Congrats. :)

Dude, I'm not accusing you of anything, it's just how you come across. I'm sure you're a regular guy doing your thing, but relax. There is no shadowy Oxbridge cabal. No feminist reich. Just comics and comedy writers trying to do their thing. Peace ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2014/feb/10/all-male-comedy-panel-shows-wont-be-missed

I think a lot of people have been saying this.

I was thinking how boring would Monty Python have been if it was a panel show.

Quote: Mr Writer Like In The Song @ 11th February 2014, 1:54 AM GMT

Dude, I'm not accusing you of anything, it's just how you come across.

On the upside, you get your 'I argued With RC' badge. We all get one eventually. Zooo has a box room full of them. Can't reach anything on that bookcase at the back.

Quote: sootyj @ 11th February 2014, 8:55 AM GMT

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/shortcuts/2014/feb/10/all-male-comedy-panel-shows-wont-be-missed

Oh yes.

I've done a cartoon about this, it'll be in Saturday's Independent.
I'm one poster who won't be getting into an argument with RC. Some of his more outrageous comments make me see red - although I'm sure lots of them are just trolling - but his is a genuine dissenting voice, plus the bastard's funny.

RC, I'm sure even the BBC can find some funny people out of this lot, http://www.comedycv.co.uk/female-comedians.htm

Wondering how long it is til you don a dress and 'Tonya Cowards' appears on that list...
:D

On a side note: someone posted yesterday about the different types of comedians making the mix of a panel show, and it occurred to me that I can't immediately bring to mind any female one liner merchants... I'm sure there's probably plenty, but my memory fails me. Any names come to mind?