Room 101 - Series 3

2 episodes in and no thread yet, so I thought I'd create one.

I didn't pay much attention to the first episode admittedly, but I will say I'm currently watching the second episode and dug Henning Wehn's endless ramble about crazy fund raisers.

I love this show...that's because I'm a grumpy young man who seems to hate about 70% of everything in the world. And I like Frank Skinner.
Wehn was funny...shame he's often getting reduced to that Germany/WWII thing. Ball and the woman were ok as well.

Ball is evil...he doesn't like being given soft toys, as for that teddy coat, I'd give him penal servitude for that.

They need more comedians as guests...Henning Wehn was good, but the other guests have been crap. Their rants are just completely dull. It doesn't work just to have someone complain about something they dislike, it has to be funny and interesting.

Frank doesn't know what death metal is, but the crowd surfing bit was a nice unexpected bit.

What made me fall about laughing was his take on a woman rolling sheets and sheets of toilet paper around her hand, saying "I'm just going for a quick wee" - seen that.........great observation.

I think Frank has been the best thing ever for this show, although the only reservation I have is the predictable Wild Card round, which is always at the end. (except this last week for some reason, where it was at the beginning!?)

Also liked when he said at the end of the Henning prog. that it was a tied score between him and one of the others, and they would normally have a penalty shoot out, but there was no point as it was obvious who would win that. :D

I love Frank and I like the format, or the original one at least. But this recent series, especially last week's episode seemed like we were watching a rehearsal or the bits were they just joke about during takes.

Frank seems to have his slippers on for this and is just taking it easy, which can be fine as things feel more natural but in this case, a show that needs a bit of energy, anger and what not. I don't know. But awkward laughs from the audience certainly don't add to the atmosphere.

Quote: Lee @ 25th February 2014, 8:06 AM GMT

...which can be fine as things feel more natural but in this case...

Sometimes it feels like some parts are scripted. The "contestants" give Frank the right keyword to make a superb punchline. It just doesn't feel genuine. because it's too perfect.

Example:There was this scene in one of the last series where a candidate said: "Didn't you read about the incident where this seagull killed a person?" Frank:" are you sure this was about a seagull and not about Steven Segal?". I can't believe this conversation was a 100% spontaneous.

There are scenes in HIGNFY that feel a bit scripted as well.

Anyway, I like Skinner and Room 101.

I'm sure some/lots of it is prearranged. But I do think Frank is an extremely quick witted comedian, so I can believe he comes up with puns and jokes on the spot. (After all, that Steven Segal one isn't exactly hilarious!)

Frank is lightning fast!

Quote: zooo @ 25th February 2014, 11:08 AM GMT

After all, that Steven Segal one isn't exactly hilarious!

Dunno, I liked it. I'd like to come up with something like this that fast.

By the way:

He is indeed an acting legend!

I can't help but think Frank was a lot funnier when he was drinking.

I think the dependence on random YouTube clips and other oddities of editing - such as the completely pointless "audience choice" round and the weird add-on at the end where one guest only had a choice tonight - really hold this show back and stop it from ever taking off properly.

Gyles Brandreth was fun on this weeks episode. Loved his bit on the award winner speeches, but I sadly can't agree considering there's some hilarious award winning speeches like Larry David's hilarious WGA award speech.

Also the clip from the Georgia Tech student graduation speech was good stuff.

If there's something from this show which I think HIGNFY should learn, is it's use of random videos and images you can find easily online. For some reason when it's used on here, it doesn't feel repetitive or dull, instead it feels refreshing, funny and quirky opposite newer HIGNFY episodes.