Have I Got News For You - With or Without Deayton? Page 4

Treenifer got it right..I read an interview with Merton where he said that Deayton had to go because the show has to be about the news and not the host.

I think it would have died quickly if he had stayed on. Too bigger loss of credibility.

I think it is a particular case with satire that the satirist need a level of credability higher than other forms of comedy or else it just doesn't work.

At the end of the day he was naive enough not to pause with rolled up £20 note on one hand and prostitute in the other and say to himself 'I get paid large sums of money to take the piss out of other people's sexual shannaigans and folibles..perhaps this isn't the best idea.'

Little sympathy from this neck of the woods.

Quote: Aaron @ November 28, 2007, 11:32 AM

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

Aaron, could you have found her saying 'be quiet' funny for more than fourty minutes? Still, if appearing on Have I Got News For You means that there's even less danger of anyone taking her politics seriously then let her stay.

Fantastic. Widdicombe was the worst host of anything that has ever been on the telly. She made Davina McCall look positively talented.

Quote: Aaron @ November 25, 2007, 11:56 AM

Either way, she should be presenting HIGNFY every week. I watch the 'extended' show again last night and picked up on Paul's quip that "you have jokes?!". Particularly ironic, as in the preceeding 20 minutes or so, she'd been umpteen times more funny than he has over the past three series'.

This is a joke, right? Really? Honestly?

Nope. I say that with 100% sincerity.

Quote: Aaron @ November 28, 2007, 11:52 PM

Nope. I say that with 100% sincerity.

Well, don't say nobody gave you a get-out opportunity.

With

A perfect dead pan foil to Paul's surrealism.

She wasn't a dead pan, she was a dead loss.

It'd be like putting wooden actors in sitcoms to make the real ones look interesting and vibrant.

I am so miffed at missing Ann Widdecombe last week, my mom met her once and said she was hilarious.
I know that some people think HIGNFY is old hat, but for me it's an old hat that fits like a glove! Clive Anderson (love him or hate him) is a true professional and to be honest anything that can make me laugh whilst working my way through a pile of ironing the size of a small hill gets my vote. I hope it runs and runs.

Does anyone know if Deayton was allowed back on to guest present an episode since being sacked? My mum thinks so but I don't.

Quote: Charly @ August 28 2008, 6:36 PM BST

Does anyone know if Deayton was allowed back on to guest present an episode since being sacked? My mum thinks so but I don't.

No he hasn't been back on (I doubt he'd want to either after both Ian and Paul showed their true feelings towards him).

Maybe your mum was thinking about the week after all the press stuff hit - as, if I remember rightly, Angus didn't actually leave until the week after the one in which Paul got his t-shirt out etc.

It's never been the same since Angus left. Teary

True.

I loved Boris at the helm though.

It has its moments yes, but seems to have become more concerned with making fun out of the guest presenter thann the satire. :(

I think maybe Ian and Paul were a bit too cruel towards Angus. I mean, they went on for ages and ages and were really vicious. But then again, maybe he deserved it - I really don't know having only watched the last few Angus episodes on Youtube, as I was too young to know about the scandal at the time.