Newsjack - Series 10 Page 39

Ah bugger, only just discovered News Jack was back. Congratulations to everyone who got the go ahead.

There's still one week left right?

Well done all who got recorded/on this week!

Quote: Pete Wilson @ 4th April 2014, 7:42 AM BST

There's still one week left right?

Yes.

Well done everyone who got on this week - especially Bonzo. Nothing beats hearing your first credit in person.

And well done StephenM, too!

I've avoided the pain of rejection this week by having an enforced week off due to too much else going on. Certainly makes for a less stressful Thursday afternoon...

Quote: V Riddoch @ 4th April 2014, 10:26 AM BST

Well done everyone who got on this week - especially Bonzo. Nothing beats hearing your first credit in person.

And well done StephenM, too!

I second this.
I also had a week off.

I think the show has really picked up though. Maybe because the success rate of this forum has too?

I'm away from tomorrow for a while so will probably not have anything in this series at all.

Good luck to all!
And congratulations in advance to [your name here].

Mike.

Quote: Judgement Dave @ 4th April 2014, 9:06 AM BST

Well done all who got recorded/on this week!

Yes.

Ah cheers.

Was yours the 'Game of Thrones' line Bonzo? If so nice work. Mine was the Cameron calling Angela Merkel 'Mum' in Breaking News.

Jabashe - what did you get one? And others who haven't yet declared?

Russell Crowe is an actual crow.

Thank you Viv!

Stephen, no it was the queen/Bitcoin one - but blink and you'll miss it!

:)

Quote: StephenM @ 4th April 2014, 1:07 PM BST

Was yours the 'Game of Thrones' line Bonzo? If so nice work. Mine was the Cameron calling Angela Merkel 'Mum' in Breaking News.

I loved the merkel mum one!! And the loan shark. :D

Quote: StephenM @ 4th April 2014, 1:07 PM BST

Brilliant gag Stephen. I'll have to listen again on sunday for yours bonzo!

Just caught up with some recent Newsjack episodes and I must say the new format is not great.
Here is my rant.

1) Intro all sounds a bit similar to Stand Up For The Week. Except not as good. Previously Justin would get through at least 8 high quality gags about DIFFERENT stories, but a stand-up sequence in Romesh's style (and I like Romesh as a standup) struggles to hit more than 1-3 topics.
Five minutes in and it doesn't feel like the right framing for a supposedly topical show.

2) one liners, just a few from episode 4:
Town crier - rings a bell.
Noah movie - a flood of complaints
CGI Fridays....
Bigamist ...at large
Really???!!! I'm sorry and nothing personal to whoever got those gags on, but those jokes have been written before MANY TIMES OVER. Everyone must know that.
(Sure there is a comedy style where that works..Tim Vine etc, but a topical news show trying to be the young upstart to Radio 4s official flagship shows is not IMHO where it belongs)

Newsjack had two rules that a) had to be a real story b) it had to be a fresh take.
(Now I concede this set-up had a clear weakness which was that in some weeks, the freshness was achieved by a lot of one liners being about obscure stories not many people had heard of.)
Spend time on the historical rejected joke threads and the above two reasons is why 90percent don't make it, especially b)!
These two rules made it hard but were also that made it good!!
A lot of stuff now is in danger of slipping into cliche and there is an ocean of pun-based jokery out there, (go watch some open mike comedy)

3) I have no credentials to make these criticisms (recorded but not broadcast), other than I've analysed every single episode of the last 4 series of newsjack to death.
I really don't want to be negative at all, especially about other people's stuff, but surely anyone reasonable must agree THE BAR IS NOW LOWER.
Just check out the groan count...it's way too high!
I'm upset about this not as a contributor but as a listener!

4) thank God the sketch quality is still staying up there at least.

Please please Newsjack if you are listening, sure keep the format fine, but please reinstate the 'topicality/must be a real story' angle

Quote: cynic @ 5th April 2014, 1:15 PM BST

Just caught up with some recent Newsjack episodes and I must say the new format is not great.
Here is my rant.

1) Intro all sounds a bit similar to Stand Up For The Week. Except not as good. Previously Justin would get through at least 8 high quality gags about DIFFERENT stories, but a stand-up sequence in Romesh's style (and I like Romesh as a standup) struggles to hit more than 1-3 topics.
Five minutes in and it doesn't feel like the right framing for a supposedly topical show.

2) one liners, just a few from episode 4:
Town crier - rings a bell.
Noah movie - a flood of complaints
CGI Fridays....
Bigamist ...at large
Really???!!! I'm sorry and nothing personal to whoever got those gags on, but those jokes have been written before MANY TIMES OVER. Everyone must know that.
(Sure there is a comedy style where that works..Tim Vine etc, but a topical news show trying to be the young upstart to Radio 4s official flagship shows is not IMHO where it belongs)

Newsjack had two rules that a) had to be a real story b) it had to be a fresh take.
(Now I concede this set-up had a clear weakness which was that in some weeks, the freshness was achieved by a lot of one liners being about obscure stories not many people had heard of.)
Spend time on the historical rejected joke threads and the above two reasons is why 90percent don't make it, especially b)!
These two rules made it hard but were also that made it good!!
A lot of stuff now is in danger of slipping into cliche and there is an ocean of pun-based jokery out there, (go watch some open mike comedy)

3) I have no credentials to make these criticisms (recorded but not broadcast), other than I've analysed every single episode of the last 4 series of newsjack to death.
I really don't want to be negative at all, especially about other people's stuff, but surely anyone reasonable must agree THE BAR IS NOW LOWER.
Just check out the groan count...it's way too high!
I'm upset about this not as a contributor but as a listener!

4) thank God the sketch quality is still staying up there at least.

Please please Newsjack if you are listening, sure keep the format fine, but please reinstate the 'topicality/must be a real story' angle

You're forgetting 'Russell Crowe is an actual crow.'

does anyone know where they put the credits? I can only see episode one credits.

update ----

oh, I've found the credits to episodes 2 and 3 (listed with the episode details), but not 4 or 5.

any ideas?

thanks.

9 one-liners done and quite happy with a few of them. Still struggling with the sketches, hoping inspiration will strike at any moment...

Did anyone get a 'recorded but cut' email last week? Cos I know I had something recorded and haven't got owt yet.

Dan

Just sent off my 2 sketches (one was a bit of a re-hash), and 9 one-liners. :)