Black Adder Inspiration

I've been watching some old time movies, and it might just be my imagination, but Becket (1964) could easily be the inspiration behind Black Adder I.
Also 'Paths of Glory (1957)' could easily be the original inspiration behind Black Adder IV.

If you haven't seen Paths of Glory I recommend it as an essential war movie, far better than most US war movies.

Becket is OK, not great.

Quote: Chop In A Toaster @ 27th November 2013, 9:27 PM GMT

Also 'Paths of Glory (1957)' could easily be the original inspiration behind Black Adder IV.

Why, because it's a war film?

It seems like the same characters.
Kirk Douglas could easily be the Black Adder wedged between the Generals and his men. The Generals treat their men with contempt. There's a lot that jumps out that reminds me of the black Adder. His Lieutenant over enthusiastically wanting jumping over the top, the pep talk by the General to the troops. Give it a watch and tell me if I'm dreaming.

Mireau undertakes an inspection of the front line trenches with his loyal and cynical staff officer,
Major Saint-Auban (Richard Anderson). The general stops to ask several soldiers (who later become major characters) the question, "Ready to kill more Germans?" When one soldier (Fred Bell) fails to answer, merely staring straight ahead, his comrades reply that the soldier is suffering from 'Shell Shock'. Mireau states there is no such thing as 'Shell Shock' and when the general enquires about whether the soldier has a wife, the soldier replies that he'll never see her again since he's certain to be killed, to which Mireau scolds the soldier for acting like a coward.

Leuitenant George Colhurt "Some kind of cleaver hat camouflage is in order."
Meanwhile, Dax, racing through the wreckage of his trenches reaches Lt. Roget and 'B' Company. The drunk Roget pleads with Dax that they've already tried twice and taken far too many casualties. Ignoring him, Dax climbs a ladder while blowing on his whistle, trying to encourage the men to 'give it another try' only to have a dead soldier falling from above knock him off the ladder. Around them, all of the soldiers are falling back to their trenches.

You get the same feeling as you get when you watch Dr No. after watching Austin Powers.