Jeeves And Wooster Page 2

I suppose it's futile to point out that this show, whatever its merits, isn't a sitcom?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 10 2009, 2:27 PM GMT

I suppose it's futile to point out that this show, whatever its merits, isn't a sitcom?

Well this is where the thread is located and I'm still interested in finding something similar. If it is not a sitcom; then what is it? It's hardly a drama; a period comedy perhaps? problem there is neither 'percom' nor 'comiod' really work.

I'm afraid Mr Wodehouse leaves me colder than a dead haddock on a Siberian tiger. Never could get into it. Books an' all. Still carry on you mad fools :)

Quote: roscoff @ December 11 2009, 9:59 AM GMT

I'm afraid Mr Wodehouse leaves me colder than a dead haddock on a Siberian tiger. Never could get into it. Books an' all. Still carry on you mad fools :)

Oh well chacun a son gout as they say in Paris

Quote: roscoff @ December 11 2009, 9:59 AM GMT

:O Did you ever in your puff hear such a perfect perisher? Pleased

I've just finished reading 'The Code of the Woosters', from 1936. A marvelous farcical novel and great fun throughout.I can't get Fry and Laurie's voices out of my head when I read it, but that's fine.

In that it isn't a 'sitcom', well ... they are basically farces, with lots of characters having their own motivations and completely disregarding other character's motivations, and misunderstandings ensue et cetera. In that respect, it is probably the most direct 'situation comedy' there is. The humour of the dialogue, although witty, relies heavily on the endearingly antediluvian phrases. Consequently, the witticisms are organic, instead of contrived. But I'd struggle to find another television/book series which is so good-natured and heart-warming, and offends absolutely nobody.

It's also interesting to note that when the books were being written (in America, by the way, where Wodehouse lived) writers like Dashiell Hammet and Raymond Chandler were penning blue-collar street-wise detective thrillers, with similarly intricate plotting, which might as well have existed in another physical universe, such is the blindling contrast of the two genres.

I think it's probably comic-dramatic. Neither drama, nor comedy, nor comedy-drama. But, for the moment at least, the BCG classifies it as a sitcom, so I'll leave it here.

What-ho!

Ts, to think nobody has posted on this thread for years.

It's one of the the all time classics.
(Not least as it has an exceptionally handsome, manly newt-fancier in it.)

But given the current contest of mediocrity in the general election campaign, I thought I'd share with you some of the great rhetorical gems of one Roderick Spode, aka Lord Sidcup.

'It is the right, nay, the duty of every freeborn Englishman to grow his own potatoes!'

'There is nothing that stands between us and victory, except defeat!'

'The British knee is firm. The British knee is muscular. The British knee is on the march!'

You know, I could even see Spode's utterances working in 'Downfall' style YouTube clips, as the soundtrack to our various party leaders waving their arms about at their podiums. Spode is very good value for money. I can't recommend him highly enough.

So repeat after me, 'Hail Spode!'

ULALEE!

Quote: wigwam willy @ 14th April 2015, 1:21 PM BST

ULALEE!

What, what?
Eucalyptus? Eucharist? Euklid?

I love the Jeeves and Wooster books and always hear Fry and Laurie when I read them. My 11 year old has also just got into the books so I'm enjoying them all over again. :)

This show was perfect and so harmlessly hilarious. My favourite line had to be Fry's description if the cats he has hid in Bertie's bedroom
'One ginger, one tortishell and a small lemon coloured animal'
Those last 5 words never fail to get me in stitches

Quote: TheRappingFrenchman @ 15th April 2015, 1:02 AM BST

This show was perfect and so harmlessly hilarious. My favourite line had to be Fry's description if the cats he has hid in Bertie's bedroom
'One ginger, one tortishell and a small lemon coloured animal'
Those last 5 words never fail to get me in stitches

Yes, it's remarkable what you can achieve by not going for an endless succession of knob gags.

Wodehouse excels in inconsequential silliness, a delightfully light touch and - above all - language.

The makers of the series meanwhile succeed in perfectly encapsulating the essence of Jeeves and Wooster.
Contrast their efforts with the leaden results of 'Blandings' which were recently releases on us all and you can see just how well they did.

The delivery you get from the actors is as close to perfect as you can get.

Hence something as simple as 'a small lemon coloured animal' can amuse.

The same can be said about Spode's threats to beat people 'to a jelly', aunt Agatha's one word bark of 'Bertie!' or the judge's quiet despair at an offence being committed 'on the eve of the university boat race'.

It is a slice of heaven.

The change of actors was a bit off.Some improved eg Madelaine and some did not eg Gussie.

I thought Carmichael and Price from the olden days were good but Fry and Laurie were perfection.

Quote: wigwam willy @ 15th April 2015, 3:51 AM BST

The change of actors was a bit off.Some improved eg Madelaine and some did not eg Gussie.

Elizabeth Spraggs was a better Aunt Agatha than Mary Wimbush.