What kickstarted the current comedy 'boom'?

At least once a week, I hear someone in the media remark how we're in the middle of a comedy boom and that it's never been bigger. I can't deny they're wrong what with the proliferation of panel shows on TV and the number of comedians playing huge venues.

But what started it all? Was it Peter Kay with his gigs in the early 00s which sold thousands of videos and DVDs? Did Live at the Apollo help contribute? Was Would Mock 8 out of 10 Weeks Lie To You a catalyst?

Also, when Newman and Baddiel sold out Wembley Arena in the early 90s, it was heralded as a big turning point for comedy, but it seems as though nothing really changed for about 10 years. What happened in between?

An interesting question.

Radio 4 Extra began - as BBC Radio 7 - in December 2002.

But that's a small contribution - and not one of the main reasons.

Quote: Horseradish @ 6th November 2013, 10:39 PM GMT

Radio 4 Extra began - as BBC Radio 7 - in December 2002.

I had never realised those two were the same channels.

As for the comedy boom question, it's a good one but I'm not really sure. I heard on the circuit during the brief period I thought I could hack stand-up a lot of comedians complaining about the boom encouraging people to take up comedy (because "it's an artform, not a way to get famous" - bit of a pissy argument even if true).

Comedy did get cool at some point, though, and I think you might be right on the Peter Kay angle. And possibly The Office? 'Cool' but not cult television comedy that led to comedy celebrities like Kay and Gervais? I wasn't really up on the comedy scene in the 90s, being a child at the time, but would I be right in presuming the 'comedy celebrities' of the time were more likely to be cult heroes than splattered over the pages of the Daily Mail? Or were there Kays and Gervaises back then?

Quote: sglen @ 6th November 2013, 10:50 PM GMT

I wasn't really up on the comedy scene in the 90s, being a child at the time, but would I be right in presuming the 'comedy celebrities' of the time were more likely to be cult heroes than splattered over the pages of the Daily Mail? Or were there Kays and Gervaises back then?

Taking account of the changes in the media over the last 20 years, the big stars really weren't an awful lot different to now. But they inevitably featured less because there was less 'news' time and space to fill, so it's not really a good comparison to try to make.

Quote: sglen @ 6th November 2013, 10:50 PM GMT

I had never realised those two were the same channels.

As for the comedy boom question, it's a good one but I'm not really sure. I heard on the circuit during the brief period I thought I could hack stand-up a lot of comedians complaining about the boom encouraging people to take up comedy (because "it's an artform, not a way to get famous" - bit of a pissy argument even if true).

Comedy did get cool at some point, though, and I think you might be right on the Peter Kay angle. And possibly the Office? 'Cool' but not cult television comedy that led to comedy celebrities like Kay and Gervais? I wasn't really up on the comedy scene in the 90s, being a child at the time, but would I be right in presuming the 'comedy celebrities' of the time were more likely to be cult heroes than splattered over the pages of the Daily Mail? Or were there Kays and Gervais' back then?

Oh yes. BBC Radio 7 became Radio 4 Extra and was a rare example of a successful new digital station. I sense that Ben is right on Baddiel, Newman etc but earlier roots are significant too in that they place what has happened in a longer transition. Television sitcoms and sketch shows in the 1970s were not considered comedy as such. It might sound a funny thing to say but they were more just an enjoyable part of life. I don't think most of us would have said that comedy was a study in its own right or even a genre. There wouldn't have been a British Comedy Guide. It was what a few people did - the writers and actors - and many millions watched the programmes. As there were only three TV channels, everyone saw the same things and discussed them the next day. Like the soaps and football, they were common reference points.

Although the number of channels was so small, it was the television decade. TV replaced the role of radio in light entertainment in the 1970s. Comedy on radio, some of which was quite good, had an image of being old hat. The 1970s was also the decade when home buying took off so staying at home was the new going out. Certainly music hall comedy had long since died although some of it had gone into TV. It was evident everywhere in the mass media to anyone who cared to look, both in content and style. In contrast, modern celebrity is big business or it is sexy. It is considered sexy for being big business. Music hall comedy wasn't the same. It was the downtrodden side of film star glamour. People were not famous for their lives or any image but for their comedy act and their name. Fame is by professional reputation when access is limited.

Television in the late 1970s was the magic lantern in the living room. It had such a hold on people that not only much of theatre but indeed cinema really looked finished. Later, videos added to that feeling although they boosted cinema rather as the net can increase sales. Perhaps an Englishman's home is never more a castle than in times of austerity. But then in the early 1980s, the comedy clubs started, led by the new breed. Many people went to them a couple of times a year out of curiosity. Eugene Cheese and the Chuckle Club etc. I did attend them occasionally. There were two or three stag dos there and that was typical.

In the 1990s, Baddiel, Newman and Skinner made the big link between comedy and football. Was it from 1990 or just 1996? I'm not sure but it went into the national psyche. Culturally it was a place where Joe Public and slightly alternative types met, a natural follow on and a broadening out. I wonder if that led on to the arena idea what with football being in stadiums? It is possible but, broader still, arenas became more popular with many new ones being built. Soon after, the new TV talent shows, supported by the press, were a gateway into big stage events for a wide range of performers in a way that Opportunity Knocks and New Faces in the 1970s hadn't been. Peters and Lee at Wembley? No chance. Lenny Henry might ultimately have got there but not directly via a process of pre-determined management. Tony Hatch was not Simon Cowell.

That era may well have been the start of people going out for entertainment more. More people had money. Television figures were tailing off because it had been around a long time. The pub was not any longer the be all and end all. There were news stories to that effect. So the new television - considerably expanded with liberal measures and Freeview plus the internet - was more about an integrated platform of experience. The comedy of stage and the comedy of the mass media were connected up more. With all the modernism, there is an ironic circularity in the changes. Current comedy as an extensive theatre experience is rather reminiscent of the music hall era even if its origins - often the universities - and production styles are not the same. With hindsight, it is surprising how so much potential for making money was simply written off!

The same thing is happening over here in the USA. TV is cheaper to make and more profitable now than ever before... microchips changed the game. Digital cameras, editing and all importantly, consuming. Also there's more co-productions (i.e more money), correct me if I'm wrong, but prior to Extras that kinda thing didn't happen. Hulu right now is making a minor publicity push for The Wrong Mans in the USA and if you pay attention to the credits on Wrong Mans it's a BBC/Hulu co-production.

Extras was by no means the first.

I do believe the practice has become both more common and transparent since then, however. I think it's more to do with spreading financial risk on big or niche audience productions rather than putting more money in the pot though. Simply more cooks ready to spoil the broth.

Helen Lederer

I might be wrong but wasn't Steve Martin the first comic to fill out 'stadiums' followed by other Americans such as Richard Pryor? This was I believe when comedy became described as the new 'rock and roll'.

The excellent Newman & Baddiel were the first to do stadiums over here I believe.

But as usual WTF do I know. (and that is not 'what's the fuss')

Quote: Aaron @ 7th November 2013, 2:26 AM GMT

Extras was by no means the first.

I do believe the practice has become both more common and transparent since then, however. I think it's more to do with spreading financial risk on big or niche audience productions rather than putting more money in the pot though. Simply more cooks ready to spoil the broth.

I should have been more clear. I mean co-productions intended to be broadcast in the USA and UK. Shows like Torchwood, Extras, The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret and now The Wrong Mans. Being able to sell the same product to two markets has gotta be the best way to get more money.

What I'm not talking about is something like Spaced, which has Paramount Pictures money behind it, but was only intended to air in the UK. Or things that are co-productions between like Hat Trick and the BBC made for a UK audience.

Yep, fully understood what you meant. :)

Although I'm unaware of a Paramount Pictures link to Spaced?

There's a boom in quantity alright, but I'm not sure anyone's actually got funnier. If you mean stand up I think a lot of it's weak and fairly samey, you could put many of them in another's suit or tee shirt and you wouldn't notice the difference in material. TV and DVD money is what made it boom, and airspace, more channels and very bad TV execs who just want the cheap and easy option of filling airspace with camera loving performers from the latest popular craze/TV execs with their fingers on the pulse giving people what they want (that would be their version, tw*ts).

Quote: playfull @ 7th November 2013, 9:56 AM GMT

This was I believe when comedy became described as the new 'rock and roll'.

Funnily enough, When I first saw this thread my thoughts were that this boom is like the one for groups in the 60s.

Any bunch of kids who could vaguely play a tune thought they were The Beatles.

Today it seems that brass neck and a big gob are all some people think they need to be the new Dave Allen.

I'd like to hear from Tony Cowards on how the landscape has changed. TONNNNNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYY!

Quote: Aaron @ 7th November 2013, 11:50 PM GMT

Yep, fully understood what you meant. :)

Although I'm unaware of a Paramount Pictures link to Spaced?

I just double checked the DVD and sure enough at the end it's a Paramount UK & LWT production. I guess it could be Paramount UK is a wholly separate subsidiary of Paramount Pictures. I remember the first time I saw Spaced, I was incredulous Paramount was in the credits but you couldn't buy it in the USA (at the time, the R1 set available now is quite good).