Robert Webb versus Russell Brand Page 4

Russell Brand is one of those "comedians" whose stock in trade is picking up on hot topics and exploiting them till they explode. He's all about what will get him attention, since there's really very little of interest to pay attention to. Who knows what his private views are since he's all about grabbing the spotlight; no, I don't rely on what he says or writes.

Robert Webb, on the other hand, is a talented writer/actor who doesn't need to attract sensationalized attention because his work speaks for itself. (Especially in "Confetti" where you'll have to forgive my drooling.)

Seriously, though, I don't trust anyone who grabs onto the spotlight with both hands, all teeth and toes - do you?

Everybody should vote but particularly women. I come from a part of the world which saw major support for the Chartists. They marched to Newport to get the vote for 21 year old men. 22 died for their troubles. And of course suffragette's. The least you could do is look at your local candidates (forget party loyalties because they're very much all middle ground). What has the current incumbent done for the area or is he/she just a suck up politico? Who are the alternatives and what do they offer.

'People died to give you the vote so don't let lethargy get you down :) '

Soon to be on a tee-shirt near you.

Quote: Aaron @ October 31 2013, 10:07 PM GMT

This, however, is quite to the point. As mentioned previously, people (largely) aren't served because they don't vote, so politicans feel no need to appeal to and appease them, so they become more disengaged and don't vote... Disengagement is the problem, not the solution.

Quite those who are engaged tend to get what they want and get listened to.

If you're not being listened too then maybe you're not shouting loud enough, with enough people.

That and politics is the art of compromise, so success can look a lot like failure.

Quote: Aaron @ October 31 2013, 10:10 PM GMT

Prescott, maybe? Although 'juicy' is ... *retches forevermore*

What did he actually f**k a pie or something, I kid he just knobbed his secretary, well dull.

I didn't vote in the first two elections I was eligible to vote in. I was of the opinion - and I still am - that we'll never live in a utopia, so what's the point as I'll still get taxed regardless. Then, for the 2010 election I grew up and thought I may as vote for the party I agreed with the most. It's the easiest way to put your point across.

A wonderous, miraculous conversion.

This whole kerfuffle has convinced me to rejoin the Labour party.

Quote: SamanthaSeaOtter @ October 31 2013, 10:10 PM GMT

Robert Webb, on the other hand, is a talented writer/actor

Woah, woah, woah, Sammy!

Quote: Ben @ October 31 2013, 10:13 PM GMT

Woah, woah, woah, Sammy!

:$

Quote: roscoff @ October 31 2013, 10:10 PM GMT

Everybody should vote but particularly women. I come from a part of the world which saw major support for the Chartists. They marched to Newport to get the vote for 21 year old men. 22 died for their troubles. And of course suffragette's. The least you could do is look at your local candidates (forget party loyalties because they're very much all middle ground). What has the current incumbent done for the area or is he/she just a suck up politico? Who are the alternatives and what do they offer.

'People died to give you the vote so don't let lethargy get you down :) '

Soon to be on a tee-shirt near you.

The Rebecca Riots?

I feel the Welsh and the Scottish are currently in a better position than the English as they have a viable alternative. Don't agree with all they say but that's not the point. Beyond that, my number one policy is the abolition of tax havens. Then a 75% top tax rate. No one will offer me that option. Comment could well veer off towards the rights and wrongs of it but that's not the point either. It is about having adequate choice.

What I do quite like about the Brand thing is that it casts a swirl across the proceedings. For as long as everyone says that it all must be played on the prescribed pitch they are imprisoning themselves. The same applies to other areas of life. This makes more sense as the lawyers work the rules so that the rules themselves are devalued. A bit of Jackson Pollock is not a terrible thing and actually I think it's essential.

Quote: AngieBaby @ October 31 2013, 9:44 PM GMT

If it doesn't matter who I vote for is even worse than not voting. If people aren't voting it's because they don't have a party who resembles their politics. A better option would be for people to spoil their votes, that way we can prove we are interested, but don't feel represented.

And it hurts no one....you spoil your vote, millions spoil their vote, the newspapers might report on it. The politicians, however, don't give a shit. Whoever gets the most votes gets in. They will just aim their policies at people who do vote - like those in the older generations.

Politicians are far too removed from the real problems facing youth who have little hope.

Because the youth are the ones most likely not to vote?

I do tend to vote for independents actually, mostly because I've met them and know they care.

So you DO vote?!

Voting doesn't get us an instant utopia, but over the years it changes a lot.

The National Minimum Wage did not come in until 1999 (or was it 1997?) and the Conservative Party was dead against it. If no one voted Labour, we wouldn't have the NMW.

And how about weekends, and annual leave, and parental leave (they don't even have that in America, you know...), and LGBT rights, and SureStart nurseries (ok the Tories have scrapped that, but still..), and tons, tons, tons more things that raise our living standards above those who live in dictatorships and autocracies...and other democracies in fact!

It might not be perfect, but if we didn't vote we wouldn't have that stuff.

And if you want a revolution then what kind? What should change? If you know you want change, why not join a trade union or campaigning group and lobby government/help those on the street? If you want corporatism out of politics then have you been keeping an eye on the Lobbying Bill going through parliament? It's a terrible Bill...a horrible piece of work...that in fact helps Corporate lobbyers. There are going to protests about it if it doesn't just get ripped up by the Lords, I'm sure, so why not join one of them?

The good thing about this country is that nobody will stop you from trying to make a difference. Voting is part of trying to make the government accountable to you.

Quote: Hannah G @ October 31 2013, 10:04 PM GMT

:( I'm on your side Angiebaby Wave

Hi Hannah G Wave

Soots, can you seriously not see how telling me that voting for anyone is better than voting for no-one seems ridiculous? If I vote for them , they'll think they're right!

Quote: Horseradish @ October 31 2013, 10:15 PM GMT

my number one policy is the abolition of tax havens. Then a 75% top tax rate. No one will offer me that option.

Francois Hollande?

Quote: sglen @ October 31 2013, 10:15 PM GMT

And if you want a revolution then what kind? What should change? If you know you want change, why not join a trade union or campaigning group and lobby government/help those on the street?

It's a pity, of course, that (most) trade unions have been only about furthering the interests of their leaders at the expense of the workers for, oooh, 40 years? 50? At least. See: Grangemouth, for only the most recent and most obvious example of this.

One could of course join a political party. Change doesn't come overnight, but it can be won, as Margaret Thatcher proved when becoming Conservative leader. Vested interests always have their weaknesses.

Quote: Aaron @ October 31 2013, 10:22 PM GMT

Francois Hollande?

Well, yes, I know and that point isn't wholly unexpected.

I understand and respect the arguments against his policies but I'm 100% in favour of him. Ours want ten years to sort things out. You can hardly condemn something after just six months. Not at any rate fairly.

Quote: AngieBaby @ October 31 2013, 10:18 PM GMT

Hi Hannah G Wave

Soots, can you seriously not see how telling me that voting for anyone is better than voting for no-one seems ridiculous? If I vote for them , they'll think they're right!

He's telling you to vote for someone not in one of the main parties, not 'anyone on the list'. Have you not seen how the rising UKIP vote share is starting to tear into Conservative backbenchers and make them urge policy change? Not that you should necessarily vote UKIP - but it's the same principle of sending a message.

If I vote for them , they'll think they're right!

I don't know where to begin with this.....

Believe me, politicians understand 'protest votes' and they also understand what happens if they piss off the electorate (or the ones who vote anyway...)

Hi Hannah G Wave

Thats why voting is only part of the solution, being politically engaged, even if its just doing surveys or occaisonally emailing your local MP.

No one said it was easy.

Seriously working in the charity sector, it's amazing how hard an MP will work to track down a few votes.

And they'll listen to any coherent voice with the ability to have some swing in elections.

Quote: sglen @ October 31 2013, 10:25 PM GMT

I don't know where to begin with this.....

Believe me, politicians understand 'protest votes' and they also understand what happens if they piss off the electorate (or the ones who vote anyway...)

Especially if they think you're going to get some time on their hands local celeb to run against them as a single issue protest candidate.