Robert Webb versus Russell Brand

Robert Webb rebukes Russell Brand for urging people not to vote.
Peep Show actor says fellow comedian's essay led him to rejoin Labour party and accuses Brand of political 'timidity'.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/oct/30/robert-webb-russell-brand-vote

Who will win?

Russell Brand is hopefully close to a danger wank tragedy.

Robert Webb is actually talented.

Robert Webb's opinion is obviously more considered, historically contextualised and correct, which is why more people will agree with Russell Brand.

I do like Russell Brand, and I do think he's intelligent, but he is often quite naive. I think telling people not to vote is shockingly irresponsible.

Russell Brand comes of as a precocious 15 year old who has learned the dictionary. And his opinions are just as mature.

Robert Webb's article was brilliant, though...well, mostly. There are alternatives to Labour if you find them a bit too 'centre' (which I do), but it's only really safe voting for them if you're in a Labour stronghold (Go North West!) if you don't want to inadvertently give a vote to the Tories. I'll vote Green, but I agree with him in all other ways.

Quote: Harridan @ October 31 2013, 3:23 PM GMT

I do like Russell Brand, and I do think he's intelligent, but he is often quite naive. I think telling people not to vote is shockingly irresponsible.

That.

I'm very much on Webb's 'side' with this. Although I'm not about to go and vote Labour.

There isn't an election on dear ;)

Quote: sglen @ October 31 2013, 3:28 PM GMT

There are alternatives to Labour if you find them a bit too 'centre' (which I do), but it's only really safe voting for them if you're in a Labour stronghold (Go North West!) if you don't want to inadvertently give a vote to the Tories.

I'll explicitly give a vote to the Conservatives.

More importantly, Brand is looking increasingly like Blakely these days.

It should come as no surprise that when politicians become unfunny comedians, the mass media should give comedians the status of serious political commentators.

To my mind, it is like a daft conversation taking place momentarily in the clouds.

Back on planet earth, individuals will have to decide whether the policy differences are so insignificant that they have been forced against their will into not voting.

I feel that it is wrong to place all the responsibility for apathy at voters' doors.

Quote: Marc P @ October 31 2013, 3:40 PM GMT

There isn't an election on dear ;)

Phew! That's saved me a trip out on Thursday.

What made me shake my head was the amount of people on Facebook wildly supporting Brand who was saying little more than: "It's really shit, man, and there's probably a better way to do things, but I've got no ideas on how to achieve it, but the main thing is: it's shit, yeah?". Utter waste of time.

Quote: Marc P @ October 31 2013, 3:40 PM GMT

There isn't an erection on dear ;)

Quote: zooo @ October 31 2013, 5:34 PM GMT

Blimey - did we miss something between you two?

Quote: Aaron @ October 31 2013, 3:41 PM GMT

I'll explicitly give a vote to the Conservatives.

Well, indeed. I was more making the point that Webb was speaking to leftists (his article was in the new statesman) and he seemed to suggest voting for labour was the only choice.

I don;t think he was but its the most sensible one, as is joining the party and changing from within.

I don't know why lefties don't copy the vote splitting tactics of US right wing movements.

Because they work and damned well.

Why should the bastards have all the fun.

Quote: zooo @ October 31 2013, 5:34 PM GMT

Rubbish shop and save on Thursday at Lidls!