Formatting question

Hello,

does anyone know how to format a scene (using the Script Smart templates from bbc writersroom) where a character Angelic is talking to someone off camera, there's a shot of someone (B) that the audience assumes is the one he's talking to, but then realise it's a completely different scene, and B is talking to someone else entirely (C)? So character B is used as a bridge between the scenes.

something like:

SCENE 1. INT. A ROOM

CHARACTER_A:
(TALKING TO SOME-ONE OFF CAMERA) Blah Blah Blah-de-blah.

SHOT OF CHARACTER_B

SCENE 2. INT. A DIFFERENT ROOM

CHARACTER_B:
Blah blah?

CHARACTER_C:
Blah.

thanks.

The situation you describe has already confused me. If it is that complex or sophisticated then i'd avoid it. If a script reader gets scared or confused they're going to put the script down and go for something safer.

I've always been told "when sending a script keep the scene directions to a minimum" and I think you should follow that as well.

I've actually wondered that same thing before. I have know idea how to do that.

I hope that helps :P

How about having Character B in C.U in scene 1, then DISSOLVE to scene 2 where you can PULL BACK AND REVEAL that Character B is in scene 2?
Failing that. just describe what you want, in English, and they should understand (I hope).

Quote: deadballoon @ November 11, 2006, 9:40 AM

Hello,

does anyone know how to format a scene (using the Script Smart templates from bbc writersroom) where a character Angelic is talking to someone off camera, there's a shot of someone (B) that the audience assumes is the one he's talking to, but then realise it's a completely different scene, and B is talking to someone else entirely (C)? So character B is used as a bridge between the scenes.

something like:

SCENE 1. INT. A ROOM

CHARACTER_A:
(TALKING TO SOME-ONE OFF CAMERA) Blah Blah Blah-de-blah.

SHOT OF CHARACTER_B

SCENE 2. INT. A DIFFERENT ROOM

CHARACTER_B:
Blah blah?

CHARACTER_C:
Blah.

thanks.

Do you not just need to cut to scene 2 before we see character B for the first time?
The first Episode of Spaced starts like this, I think. You may be able to find the scripts for this somewhere?

Personally, I've never managed to successfully download the script format software from the Writers Room.

I agree with Steve, it has to be a new scene. I think there's a MERGE CUT TO: that indicates that the character stay in the same position while the scene or time jumps. Ripley smoking her fag in Aliens is an example.

thanks everyone,

I think it must be a 'match cut' that i'm after. There's a quote on http://www.amazon.com/phrase/match-cut that "similar or analogous shots are said to be bridged by match cuts. Over a match cut there is a change of setup while an action appears to continue seamlessly".

I mainly wanted as all my other scenes end with someone entering or exiting and I thought it would make a change. It might be best off keeping things simple though!