Ambassadors

Strange there's no thread already; great cast, acclaimed writers, surely worth a comment?

It's a bit weird - I keep expecting there to be a punchline at the end of each scene because of Mitchell & Webb so it's a bit hard to enjoy it as light drama.

Quote: Harridan @ October 25 2013, 6:38 PM BST

It's a bit weird - I keep expecting there to be a punchline at the end of each scene because of Mitchell & Webb so it's a bit hard to enjoy it as light drama.

I agree, to begin with I had to fight the feeling that those two had been hopelessly miscast, and frankly even at the end I still saw the ambassador as being 'Mark'. Hopefully, perseverance will disabuse me of that notion; but I have a feeling that such a subtle production is not suited to, most particularly, David Mitchell's undoubted talents. Also, Keeley Hawes's character was a bit of an obvious wife, and the few gags that there were in the script had unsurprising punches.

However, there were things to like already, like the pair of eavesdroppers listening in and commenting, and there's undoubtedly some potential here, so I shall watch again optimistically.

I just watched it. The undoubted flaws weren't with the excellent cast, or the writing (although it was occasionally very slightly clunky). The problem for me is in the genre - these things have all the structure of a sit com, but without the advantages of the form, such as pace, and, most importantly, jokes.

Mitchell is far too funny to act drama, but instead of making me laugh it just reminded me that he is delivering lines that aren't actually funny. Webb is excellent, I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year he's in some big budget drama.

Yes, Webb is more comfortable in this hybrid brew. Mitchell isn't a good enough actor to pull off the non-comedic elements with any authority. His couple of set-piece speeches lecturing people on morals and principles were just rants.

Frankly, I didn't find it either funny enough or strong enough in drama terms.

Quote: italophile @ October 28 2013, 7:26 AM GMT

Frankly, I didn't find it either funny enough or strong enough in drama terms.

This.

Not sure why they decided to make the episodes an hour long when they could've been a reasonably birght and breezy 30 minutes.

Contrary to some others on this thread I actually think Webb is the inferior actor, although Mitchell is no Olivier.

Will be watching the second episode to see how it develops although, in all honesty, the main attraction is the guest appearance of the brilliant Tom Hollander.

I quite liked it. Not funny, but it didn't need to be for me. I'm on the side of Webb is the better actor in this one. It kept me engaged for an hour, which is difficult!

Much as I like David Mitchell, I really don't think his acting in this is very good at all. I think his performance is why I was finding it hard to gauge the tone of the show and kept feeling like there was supposed to be a punchline. He seems to be playing himself (or his public persona) if he happened to be a diplomat rather than a comedian. I find Robert Webb a much more versatile actor, and I found his character quite believable. When the pair were arguing about priorities the difference in their acting abilities was very apparent.

I wasn't all that interested in watching more, but the trailer for the next episode with Tom Hollander playing a version of Prince Andrew got me interested.

Quote: Harridan @ October 28 2013, 10:43 AM GMT

Much as I like David Mitchell, I really don't think his acting in this is very good at all. I think his performance is why I was finding it hard to gauge the tone of the show and kept feeling like there was supposed to be a punchline. He seems to be playing himself (or his public persona) if he happened to be a diplomat rather than a comedian. I find Robert Webb a much more versatile actor, and I found his character quite believable. When the pair were arguing about priorities the difference in their acting abilities was very apparent.

I wasn't all that interested in watching more, but the trailer for the next episode with Tom Hollander playing a version of Prince Andrew got me interested.

Kinda what I was thinking, this all felt alittle like Le Carre for laughs, but with no lightness or agility.

Robert Webb does seem the better actor, where as David Mitchell is very much the next Stephen Fry.

Even if for Tom Hollander alone, tonight's episode is a must-watch.

I love Mitchell & Webb sketch shows and Peep Show, but this was just dull: not funny and not really offering anything interesting drama wise. I was expecting something on a par with Magicians but what we got felt like 2 very talented men awkwardly keeping their heads down, hoping it would all go away soon.

Only caught onto this halfway through tonight's episode. Need to catch up on it.

I hadn't heard of this until I stumbled across it on iPlayer. I'm confused what it's meant to be. Just realised it's an hour long. I'm oot!

Kids today...

Quote: Lee @ October 30 2013, 11:23 PM GMT

I hadn't heard of this until I stumbled across it on iPlayer. I'm confused what it's meant to be. Just realised it's an hour long. I'm oot!

What I saw of it was really good.