Man Down - Series 1 Page 4

Yeah, I feel bad for being so dismissive. Ep 3 was funny!

There are few more obvious signs of bad comedy writing than jokes about bodily functions, so when Man Down opened with a fart gag, I very nearly switched off straight away.

Having seen all three episodes, I reckon it's an enjoyable, if undemanding sitcom. Unlikely to end up a classic but with enough laugh out loud moments for it to be perfectly for that "just back from the pub and feeling merry" slot. As others have said, characterisation is poor, but that doesn't really matter as the comedy is intended to be surreal rather than true to life.

As for Rik Mayall, it looks as if his scenes were tacked on after the main episode had been filmed, as each week he's only in one scene, set outside the house, which appears to have little relation to the rest of the plot. Still nice to see him back on TV, a pity he doesn't do more but then I suppose he's too well off to need the work.

Only watched the first two so far. Haven't gone any further because it's, well... Crap. I'm sure I'll see the rest at some point. I'm a bit surprised it's been renewed already.

I've just watched the first episode. I can't believe this was written by grown men.

Watched all 3 episodes and while episode 3 DID have more Mayall, the show is barely passable. Each show has the potential to be brilliant and always falls flat.

What are C4 thinking by commissioning a second series of this dross?

I thought episode 4 was very funny indeed.

Pull my finger.

What's interesting about the comments in this thread is that you can understand everyone's reaction whether positive or negative. It'll never be a classic but as was pointed it out it's one of those shows that you may tune in for a bit of random silliness and not have to think too much.

Character development? Yeah, good point but you have to remember we are analysing the thing after a couple of episodes so it's still too early to judge. What's more, talking about poor writing from a stand up writing a sitcom is a bit harsh as everyone has to learn somewhere - you don't become Galton or Simpson overnight...not that they were stand ups but you know what I mean.

It's so funny how we as individuals see comedy so very differently at times. I thought the latest episode of this was the funniest sitcom on TV for a while. I've not worked out why Rik Mayall's character behaves in the way he does towards Greg's, but purely for some good lines and laugh out loud moments, last Friday's offering was excellent.

I like Davies and Mayall but this show doesn't really work for me as a whole. It's ok to watch it now but I probably won't revisit it in the future (means: I won't buy the DVD).
The opening credits sequence is great though.

I watched the first 15 minutes of the first episode and I thought it was really terrible. I couldn't be bothered to watch any further as it was so bad so I switched the TV over.

And now I have just seen that this has got a second series??

All I can say is wow, just wow...

Def.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 12th November 2013, 2:53 PM GMT

The opening credits sequence is great though.

Easily the best part of the show!

I only gave this a second look because Rik Mayall is in it but I've been pleasantly surprised. Some might say it's jarring but I kind of like the changes in tone, does everything have to be black and white? Some great lines and of course Rik Mayall just lights up the screen when he's on it and he looks smashing with a beard too.

The show was growing on me and I was liking it then episode 5 happened, Greg Davies is good on screen but the writing was poor, the whole restaurant meltdown was over the top and unrealstic, didn't fit in with the kind of surreal tone in past, the whole blaming God because every one was in the restaurant at the same time (what someone reading a script would say is too contrived) was a way to try and hide the massive coincidences and was obvious.

The shagging the cleaner was pointless and a bit lazy, but was offered like a big funny finale - hardly clever.