UKTV Gold Christmas Cracker Joke Competition Page 4

Quote: Judgement Dave @ October 22 2013, 5:00 PM BST

If you entered an original, Christmas-themed, family-friendly joke then you're probably already in the top 100...

Doubt they actually give a shit whether the joke is original or not (regardless of what the brief said). I've entered many original joke comps and often the winning gag is ancient. Really pisses me off. An example here.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/post/871666/

Oh hello Don, I assume you're trying to insult me again.

So here's a joke I wrote a while ago, I hope it amuses its its soul intent.

Why can't trolls become invisible?
Because everyone can see they're full of shit.

F**k off. It wasn't aimed at you. And stop all the troll bullshit.

Excellent Don, but I think both Cadburys and Gold would like less potty mouth.

I do see Dons point
it's annoying to try to be original & then see an old chestnut win the prize.
However, whoever the judge is it's very difficult as you can't know every joke that's gone before & most of the best ones have probably been done already.

About 10 years ago in made it into the last 10 of the Asda Christmas Cracker joke competition. Everyone on the short-list went to Asda HQ in Leeds and we read out a few jokes and we were interviewed by a journalist. I think the winner was a writer on Dead Ringers. To try and make his jokes original he basically did several jokes that were puns on pop groups at the time so one of the gags had 'Vest Life' as the punchline and another has 'atomic mitten' as a punchline.

with normal cracker jokes I would imagine that there is a 12 month gap between jokes being accepted and the crackers actually being produced so any topical gags won't be topical by the time the crackers are pulled which is why most companies tend to go with old traditional gags.

Anyone know when the top 10 is being announced?

I believe I saw a date of 3rd Dec as the time when the short list would be confirmed.

Here is the details on the website it does say 3rd December

http://gold.uktv.co.uk/article/Cracker-comp-tcs-and-cs/

Quote: Carlos Manwelly @ 28th November 2013, 6:13 PM GMT

Here is the details on the website it does say 3rd December

http://gold.uktv.co.uk/article/Cracker-comp-tcs-and-cs/

See what I'm not sure about is:
The page says 'winners' announced on 3rd Dec. But Bruce Dessau's shortlist is meant to be used for a public voting stage to pick the actual winners.

So is the 3rd Dec the announcement of the shortlist for public voting, or the announcement of final winners/placing? And if the latter, what became of the public voting on the shortlist?

From that page:

1.WINNER SELECTION:

A selection of the best Jokes as voted for by a comedy panel lead by critic Bruce Dessau will be put to the public vote and the top 10 best Jokes as voted for by the public will win a prize.

Which suggests that Bruce Dessau shortlists more than 10 for the public vote, and the top 10 from the voting become the winners. But if 'winners' are announced on the 3rd, when is the public vote?

If Bruce is only selecting a shortlist of 10, then all of them are winners and it isn't 'the top 10 best Jokes as voted for by the public will win a prize' but, imo, should read:

1.JD's WINNER SELECTION IF BRUCE's SHORTLIST HAS 10 ENTRIES:

A selection of the 10 best Jokes as voted for by a comedy panel lead by critic Bruce Dessau will be put to the public vote and will all win prizes according to their final position in the public vote.

And yes I know it's nitpicky: the result of pedantry, IT systems development and more.

I assumed this meant that on 3rd Dec there would be a shortlist from which the public can vote on their top ten.

Then the person with the most friends, I mean the person who has written the best joke, can win.

I can confidently predict it will all be over by Christmas.

Oh no, it's a Jehovah's Witness troll.

Well I can't spot anything having been released on the 3rd Dec...

I just read the winners will be announced next week

It was tweeted by Gold TV as a response to someone's enquiry

"fear not! We are publicly announcing our #GoldCrackers winners next week. Promise :)"