London Irish Page 2

Quote: chipolata @ September 25 2013, 10:33 AM BST

I caught a bit, wasn't too impressed, and turned over to watch the new Iranian president addressing the UN.

I hate it when the networks put new comedy shows up against each other in the schedules.

Quote: T.W. @ September 27 2013, 1:44 AM BST

I hate it when the networks put new comedy shows up against each other in the schedules.

:D

Although I'm not totally convinced by the UN reboot. This new Iranian president central character is far too low key and "normal" for my liking. I much prefered the big laughs we got with the last jew-hating west-bating president character.

Episode 4 was very funny.

Quote: Aaron @ October 15 2013, 11:02 PM BST

Episode 4 was very funny.

The clichéd pretend to like art to get into someone's pants while another character tries to have sex with a religious fanatic?

No thanks.

Doesn't make it not funny.

There is so much wrong with this series, I am baffled as to how it got to air. I'm Irish and lived in London and all the characters are unlikable hacks, not to mention the overacting is shocking.

It's a 23min abuse throwing match between the characters with nothing clever, original or witty about it.

I don't know about you but if a reused situation comes up in a comedy and has nothing new to bring to the table, then it bores me to tears and this episode had it in droves. I would hope everyone seen the she's not fat anymore angle coming a mile off.

Probably the best episode to date. I could even tolerate Sinead Keenan this episode. But I wish Ardal was used more.

I would have found this quite watchable if it wasn't for Sinead Keenan, her constant grimace and he go to reaction of unadulterated fury at every situation her character found herself in just made it ridiculous. I liked the character of Niamh who actually had some sharp comments despite being coming across initially as ditzy, her line of 'Not Semtex!' when asked what she would say if a bouncer found white powder in her bag had me in stitches. All in all, it was an idea that didn't meet expectations, I would be interested in seeing a second series come back with some tweaks... but I'm not sure that is going to be possible now.

I think it deserves a few more episodes just to develop a bit more. There were some funny bits but it was absolutely slaughtered by the press.

Looking for somewhere to go this weekend? Why not enjoy St Patrick's day with a twist at Nordic bar in Fitzrovia.
This year the bar is transforming to O' Nordic's with plenty of Guinness for everyone!
Irish inspired playlist, tasty shooters and special Irish cocktails all night long. What more could you want?

For more information visit Nordic's Facebook page!

I absolutely loved this show and I'm no teenager by any means! Enjoyed all the characters especially Bronagh, and Packy who was (almost) a calming influence. Would have liked to have seen it progress, but it was not to be. Still my copy of the DVD is regularly in the player though, any other fans out there?

As Derry Girls is almost finished I thought I'd finally watch Lisa McGee's first sitcom. Just started watching and am amazed to see so many vitriolic reviews back from when it was first on. The first episode made me chuckle almost constantly! Bronagh's the best character, wonderfully acerbic.

I thought it was very funny and deserved at least a second run. Very poor show of Channel 4 to axe it, and very pleased that Lisa was able to demonstrate her talent so unequivocally in time.

Well from what I could bare of it I wouldn't have known Derry Girls was from the same writer as this. It seemed a one gag OTT parody of working class Irish that the Irish probably hated, although I've met those characters, they exist, though probably not in the numbers they used to over here. They are not a popular stereotype with the Irish board of culture, just as Irishman jokes have never been. And I'm guessing that's why C4 thought better of it.

Overt and regular swearing will always be a barrier to many mainstream sitcom viewers. With Derry Girls she's done her 'what makes a popular sitcom' homework and delivered. Bares no resemblance to the one or maybe two eps I tolerated of LI. Although I did have a smirk at the bold (and unPC) caricature of its subject, watchability was badly lacking.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 28th April 2022, 9:10 AM

Well from what I could bare of it I wouldn't have known Derry Girls was from the same writer as this. It seemed a one gag OTT parody of working class Irish that the Irish probably hated, although I've met those characters, they exist, though probably not in the numbers they used to over here. They are not a popular stereotype with the Irish board of culture, just as Irishman jokes have never been. And I'm guessing that's why C4 thought better of it.

Overt and regular swearing will always be a barrier to many mainstream sitcom viewers. With Derry Girls she's done her 'what makes a popular sitcom' homework and delivered. Bares no resemblance to the one or maybe two eps I tolerated of LI. Although I did have a smirk at the bold (and unPC) caricature of its subject, watchability was badly lacking.

I doubt TV execs give two hoots about stereotyping if it pulls in the viewers. After all, Mrs Brown's Boys got countless series. London Irish probably just failed to find an audience.