Are There Ultimate Jokes?

There is unlikely to be one ultimate joke, jokes can be a variety of things.

But is there an ultimate quirky joke, or satirical joke, or rude joke? The Goons "What's the time?" "Eight o'clock, I have it written down on a piece of paper" may be a contender for ultimate quirky joke-certainly it's the ultimate in quirky dialogue-but does it stop being as funny through familiarity? And there can't be an ultimate topical joke.

What do you think?

NB, people can't be nominated as ultimate jokes...

Dunno, but I like that business of misapplied logic you get so much with the Goons and their ilk - if they can be said to have any ilk.

For instance, I always liked that Gerard Hoffnung joke (in the Hoffnung/Richardson interviews) where he explains that he and his wife like to go for long walks and have picnics at the weekend - and if it's raining they just walk the equivalent distance round and round the dining room table and then spread out their rug on the floor to have their picnic. Once Hoffnung forgot his pipe and had to walk 14 miles back round and round the table to get it - even though it was only on the sideboard...

^^^^^^^

:D

Quote: Tim Azure @ 6th September 2013, 1:53 PM BST

is there an ultimate quirky joke, or satirical joke, or rude joke?

If a joke is what makes people laugh, and humour is subjective, then what is ultimate is also subjective. A bit like those 'greatest album of all time' lists we regularly get, which just reflect what people are enjoying at the moment.

Well there were two.

1. The Killing Joke in Monty Python which was used in wartime.

2. The one in Family Guy which was written in a bunker on a remote island.

I have heard and comitted to,memory what is purported to be the filthiest joke in the world (which I can't possibly post here), It was on a very late night t.v. show a few years back, I have no idea who dubbed it the filthiest joke but I certainly think it rates highly in the filthy joke catagory, In fact one bloke who insisted I tell him after he laughed said he felt sick (not sure if the joke or the beer caused that).

Douglas Adams' '42' for me. Partly because it is the 'ultimate' answer and partly because I watched the series on TV and had to wait a whole week to hear the answer after it had been set up.

My favourite joke is from Life of Brian

http://youtu.be/qANMjwLmo6Y?t=15s

Quote: Harridan @ 4th January 2014, 8:46 PM GMT

My favourite joke is from Life of Brian

http://youtu.be/qANMjwLmo6Y?t=15s

:D

Hello again Harridan, there are so many many great jokes in that film, but that one's a doozy.

Definitely one of my favourite films.

Squirrel

Aren't they the 'Your Mama...' jokes? I thought those were the ultimate stars of any joke fest.