Pat And Cabbage Page 2

Quote: G180e @ September 13 2013, 7:48 PM BST

I can't believe I'm seeing this... Pat and Cabbage is truly awful and unfunny, how any of you can even find this watchable is beyond me. Each to their own, though!

Yeah but don't you love The Café? Abysmal! :P

Quote: Aaron @ September 13 2013, 8:24 PM BST

Yeah but don't you love The Café? Abysmal! :P

The cafe is okay, but Pat and Cabbage is really unwatchable IMO.

Why is it that whoever writes the 'pick of the day' blurb for the front page seem to have no idea how television ratings work? 2.26 million viewers is a truly appalling rating for a mainstream show on ITV 1, and a reasonable (if not as good as hoped in the circumstances) rating for a niche show on BBC Two.

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ September 2 2013, 8:07 PM BST

Worth taking a look just to see the beautiful yet elegant Cheri Lunghi.

Just walk down to your local wine bar. There's a single woman that looks like Cheri Lunghi perched on a bar stool there every weekend. If not, then there's a woman who looks like Carol Vorderman.

Either will be self-pitying and unattractive in the cold light.

Saying that, I'm sure Cheri Lunghi is delightful. And used to be an interesting actress.
;)

Just to add, this is the worst title for a show since... well, ITV probably keeps an archive of them...

It should be an hour, it needs some proper adventures and (in terms of comedic potential) it completely wastes Marcus Garvey and Diane Morgan. I've seen it every week and I don't care one jot about Pat or Cabbage.

This was great. Warm sitcom with a great cast and great episodes. This brightens ups my Thursday.

IMO it's an insult to all rejected comedy writers.

Pat and cabbage was not that bad.A bit too twee at times.Poor show sank without a chuffing trace.

Quote: tonecapone @ 15th April 2019, 7:21 PM

Poor show sank without a chuffing trace.

I hear producers are going to mix things up a bit and resurrect it as a show about two amateur detectives called "Bubble and Squeak".

Quote: tonecapone @ 15th April 2019, 7:21 PM

Pat and cabbage was not that bad.A bit too twee at times.Poor show sank without a chuffing trace.

I agree really, not bad at all just very twee as you say, basically the ITV equivalent of Being Eileen. Of course the BBC then perfected the style with Mum, which ITV bought the distribution rights to.

Yeah I have noticed that on some BBC shows' DVD cases it says ITV Studios. It's a bit of a weird one that, the fact that they let the BBC make the shows but snap up the rights to package and sell them in the future while in the short term the shows will be banished from BBC iPlayer and never get repeated again. Must be very hard and sad for writers when the shows they work on never get to see the light of day again. Everyone has a series that they wished would just get a DVD release.

Quote: jsg @ 15th April 2019, 7:50 PM

I agree really, not bad at all just very twee as you say, basically the ITV equivalent of Being Eileen. Of course the BBC then perfected the style with Mum, which ITV bought the distribution rights to.

Not quite true. ITV Studios own a controlling stake in the production company, had the rights by default - no question of them being bought.

And Pat And Cabbage was miles better than Being Eileen!

Quote: tonecapone @ 15th April 2019, 11:44 PM

Yeah I have noticed that on some BBC shows' DVD cases it says ITV Studios. It's a bit of a weird one that, the fact that they let the BBC make the shows but snap up the rights to package and sell them in the future while in the short term the shows will be banished from BBC iPlayer and never get repeated again. Must be very hard and sad for writers when the shows they work on never get to see the light of day again. Everyone has a series that they wished would just get a DVD release.

To point out further, these things aren't just given out willy-nilly. Subject to pre-existing distribution rights as illustrated above, distribution companies will bid against each other and the rights holder - be it the BBC, or an independent producer - will licence it to whichever company offers them the best deal.

It also works the other way. BBC Studios has distribution agreements with Baby Cow and Tiger Aspect, so is the distributor of DVDs for Sky's Alan Partridge shows, Benidorm, and others.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th April 2019, 12:51 AM

And Pat And Cabbage was miles better than Being Eileen!

Not that old rivalry again :D

What I love about this site. I guarantee you this argument isn't happening anywhere else!