Similar to Doc Martin?

I live in America and a friend told me to watch Doc Martin. I love it! I have a close friend that is much like him! I love my friend anyway! My friend has a horrible childhood (like Doc Martin), so I understand why he is the way he is. Take the good with the bad, right?

Can anyone recommend a show for me to watch that is like Doc Martin? I love the scenery and the comedy aspect of it. The only thing I dislike about it is the treatment of the dogs. I read in another forum that someone else also mentioned their dislike of it too and someone responded kinda snotty saying a lot of people are like that. I pray not. There's no reason to be mean to an animal. There's my 2 cents on that subject!

Thanks!

Are you familiar with the comic drama series Monarch Of The Glen? It is a little more on the drama side than comedy, but can still be very amusing, and has plenty of stunning Scottish scenery.

Hamish MacBeth, also stunning Scottish scenery.

'Distant Shores', which ran for two series starring Peter Davison, was very similar to Doc Martin. It's about a grumpy doctor who moves to a small sea-side town.

Also, I'd recommend Ballykissangel, the drama about an English priest moving to an Irish village, starring Stephen Tomkinson.

The Legend of Shelby the Swamp Man is similar to Doc Martin. It features an isolated and somewhat disfunctional central character amidst a backdrop of breathtaking natural scenery. Shelby is like a fish out of water at times. He lives in a swamp next to a large body of water. He's brilliant at what he does or he's a hard act to follow. But you never get to see his parents so I don't know if they are as warm and fuzzy as Doc's parents. And Shelby also has a pet dog that he cherishes.

Quote: Diane Roberts @ August 29 2013, 11:57 PM BST

Can anyone recommend a show for me to watch that is like Doc Martin? I love the scenery and the comedy aspect of it. The only thing I dislike about it is the treatment of the dogs.

All Creatures Great & Small, wherein the "fish out of water" geezer arriving in the new village of lovable but sometimes loony locals was easygoing vet James Herriot (Christopher Timothy), while the grump was senior vet Siegfried Farnon (Robert Hardy). Loads of sexy scenery (Yorkshire Dales, perhaps?) and dog-loving. And the aforementioned Peter Davison.

And of course, Catweazle and Worzel Gummidge. Both could be rather grumpy.

Shelby the Swamp Man is all that. Shelby has a pet dog that he risks life and limb for and takes with him everywhere. Shelby is also a hard act to fallow.

Been watching "Death in Paradise" now and enjoying it - again, fish out of water scenario. FYI, I also adored "Hamish MacBeth" (although you have to separate the program from the books. (The books are great on their own, as the series is great on its own, but they don't dovetail too well.)

Not really like Doc Martin, but William and Mary was quite good. Martin Clunes is the lead.

Quote: Diane Roberts @ 29th August 2013, 11:57 PM BST

The only thing I dislike about it is the treatment of the dogs. I read in another forum that someone else also mentioned their dislike of it too and someone responded kinda snotty saying a lot of people are like that. I pray not. There's no reason to be mean to an animal. There's my 2 cents on that subject!

Thanks!

Actually, in real life, Martin Clunes is an avid animal and dog lover, and has several animals including horses and dogs of his own. It was his idea to present the constant conflict with dogs in the show, as an excuse to have them around. I've read that while observing the filming of Doc Martin, the one sure way to have Clunes speak to you, is to bring a dog.

You can be sure, the dogs are not mistreated.

Kingdom with Stephen Fry and Celia Imrie is very similar in tone and shows off the Norfolk coastline. Was prematurely cancelled in my opinion, but there are 3 series to enjoy.

well...Doc Martin is quite similar to the Hercules series of the 1990s. Yea, back in the horse and buggy days of the late 1900s or 20th century there was the strong and compassionate Kevin Sorbo as Hercules and his sidekick Zeanna. Move over Herc, now there's Doc and Lucy. And no angry crock. can disshelve the All Creatures Great and Small style Doc Martin. He has a wonderful wife, a wonderful but slightly flawed mother--kinda reminiscent of the British Comedy, Mother and Son-- all in all, it's a relaxing, refreshing piece of humanity, kind like It's A Wonderful Life. I love Austria, Geiko Lizzard, and the series Doc Martin....all from Down Under mate.

Quote: Buddy Clause @ 14th December 2013, 4:57 AM GMT

kinda reminiscent of the British Comedy, Mother and Son

Do what?

well actually Doc Martin is almost totally like a British version of Bat Masterson......he had a cane and Derby hat.....they called him Bat....Bat Masterson..............He had a suit and medical bag.........they called him Doc......Doc Mar....har.....tin............see what I mean....

Doc Martin is similar to Quincy...a t.v. series from the 1970s. It's like the world of forensic medicine. The drama, suspence, and action constantly keep you at the edge of your seat. Definitely hold the popcorn when viewing. There's always danger lurking around every corner in the greater metropolitan area of Portwenn. And you never know if there will be an arrest made or some sort of conviction.