Mrs. Brown's Boys D'Movie Page 4

One word of advice for writers who are starting out is not to knock the biggest (yes biggest, not necessarily the best) comedy show that the BBC broadcast. It's not something that will stand you in good stead if you ever find yourself in the BBC's comedy department.

It's the worst film I've never seen.

Quote: beaky @ 5th July 2014, 5:05 PM BST

It's the worst film I've never seen.

I think I saw your quote on the poster.

Quote: Ben @ 5th July 2014, 4:56 PM BST

One word of advice for writers who are starting out is not to knock the biggest (yes biggest, not necessarily the best) comedy show that the BBC broadcast. It's not something that will stand you in good stead if you ever find yourself in the BBC's comedy department.

I'm under an assumed name. I have no qualms about expressing my opinion on Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Quote: Ben @ 5th July 2014, 4:56 PM BST

if you ever find yourself in the BBC's comedy department.

..or any other production office, come to that.
They would all kill their own grandmothers for the next MBB.

If you want to talk about art go and mope in the corner of the pub with Peter Greenaway.

Quote: Lazzard @ 5th July 2014, 5:24 PM BST

If you want to talk about art go and mope in the corner of the pub with Peter Greenaway.

To be fair, it's more about the popularity of a rather mediocre show in comparison to programmes that are much better but are less popular.

Quote: Woozie @ 5th July 2014, 5:29 PM BST

To be fair, it's more about the popularity of a rather mediocre show in comparison to programmes that are much better but are less popular.

I know what you're getting at - but you're comparing apples and oranges.
One ("programmes that are much better") is a matter of taste.
The other - popularity - is just maths.
Your (or my) taste may well be at fault - out of kilter with the times.
The numbers do not lie.

I think as writers we do ourselves a dis-service when we talk this way.
Don't get me wrong, I'm the first one to shout "How did this shite get commissioned?" at the telly.
But if it gets good viewing figures you sometimes have to ask yourself some hard questions.

Quote: Woozie @ 5th July 2014, 5:23 PM BST

I'm under an assumed name. I have no qualms about expressing my opinion on Mrs. Brown's Boys.

And you start sentences with 'As a writer' which says all we need to know.

Quote: Woozie @ 5th July 2014, 1:04 PM BST

or they simple didn't get it

The 'they don't get it' claim is I think the biggest cop out regarding niche creations that struggle to survive on TV. You can't have it both ways - you want the kudos of writing a celebrated cult show but moan about it not being as popular as a mainstream piece of rubbish.

I do agree with you that MBB is unoriginal, crude and basic but I don't agree that Peep Show and FND are naturally superior and deserve better viewing figures. They are certainly no less contrived. They wouldn't even exist without the 30 plus year old history of alternative sitcomedy and especially the post Gervais mockdoc/cringecom thing. And neither make me laugh. MBB as old and hashed together as it is, does.

Quote: Mark Gibson @ 5th July 2014, 1:03 PM BST

Popular doesn't always mean better, though.

Yes - it very much depends on what scale you're judging things on.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 5th July 2014, 8:17 PM BST

The 'they don't get it' claim is I think the biggest cop out regarding niche creations that struggle to survive on TV. You can't have it both ways - you want the kudos of writing a celebrated cult show but moan about it not being as popular as a mainstream piece of rubbish.

I do agree with you that MBB is unoriginal, crude and basic but I don't agree that Peep Show and FND are naturally superior and deserve better viewing figures. They are certainly no less contrived. They wouldn't even exist without the 30 plus year old history of alternative sitcomedy and especially the post Gervais mockdoc/cringecom thing. And neither make me laugh. MBB as old and hashed together as it is, does.

I think you raise some interesting points but you've confused what I said partially with what Mark Gibson said in a previous post.

I think we should all just agree Mrs. Brown's Boys is pretty crap but popular. Oh well, moving on, it doesn't bother me or my work. It's a frustration at best but one I can ignore and I'll continue to watch the show for the 4th wall breaks.

Can we mock the most improving freelancer on Elance, Ben?

Why are you all moaning about writing! This thread is for Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie! Not a debate over script writing and whether somebody is employed or unemployed. As I said before, this film was bloody brilliant IMO and I take my hat off to Brendan for being able to transfer his TV character to the big screen and making it work.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 5th July 2014, 9:21 PM BST

Can we mock the most improving freelancer on Elance, Ben?

What does that even mean?

Quote: G180e @ 5th July 2014, 9:28 PM BST

Why are you all moaning about writing! This thread is for Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie! Not a debate over script writing and whether somebody is employed or unemployed. As I said before, this film was bloody brilliant IMO and I take my hat off to Brendan for being able to transfer his TV character to the big screen and making it work.

I just thought it was a shame that Mrs. Brown's Boys has made double what Alpha Papa has done already. It was down to its popularity despite Alan Partridge being around for about 20 years before the movie and it was a movie that was highly wanted and anticipated unlike MBB. I didn't even know there was MBB movie until he appeared on Graham Norton a week or two ago.